ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-26-09, 07:20 PM

FastForward will become famous soon enough
Re: Attention Disorders at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx2112 View Post
Babette, I also have to juggle many tasks at work and have a demanding, inflexible boss. He has commented that I cannot multi-task. He is right. I'll be working on something and he'll come into my office and want to know why I have not started something else. So I start that and then he wants to know why I have not started something else. Then to top it all off, he wants to know why I havn't finished anything!
This is crazy -> i could have written this quote word for word !!!!!
And the hard part is, you're trying to do ALL OF THIS to do GOOD and to please everybody and to help everybody, so you take on 10, 15 things at a time, and than my TO DO list gets longer and longer and longer ... and i'll do a little of one thing, than a little of the other item on the list and i'll be doing 15 things at once, and not get one done... and than i'm in troooooooouuuuble !!! :-p
Old 10-27-09, 07:48 PM

Nestor M. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofconfusion View Post
You are absolutely right. Unless add is directly affecting the child's grades and life in general, the child won't be reffered. The inattentive type is the most likely to be overlooked, especially in girls...
I agree, a inattentive kid with some intelligence is likely to be overlooked.
Old 01-08-10, 06:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

birdchica is on a distinguished road

Anyone one here work in a professional kitchen?? I just finished culinary school and started my internship. It has been a rough three weeks too. I bought myself a timer to help me stay on track during prep ( I wish I had done it a LONG time ago) but I know it can't fix everything. I also tape a copy of my prep list to the wall to help me remember what I have to do. I would love any tips from chefs, line cooks etc on stay focused, prioritizing, not forgetting things. This is one of the most difficult things that I have ever done in my life. Not to mention that some of co-workers can be jackasses sometimes. Last night, one of the guys thought it would be hilarious to try to talk to me while I was trying to read tickets and put up orders. Mind you, he knows I have a short attention span and did it on purpose. Grrrr!!! Please help if you can.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

atrain will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Attention Disorders at work

goofycook if I don't mind asking what do for a career? My current career I am doing wonderful in- as a personal care service provider and be doing this for 10 months and thinking about getting my lna license. Who says that add/adhd people can not be in the medical field. Everyone who has add/adhd has different strengths.
Old 01-13-10, 05:15 PM

theDarkness will become famous soon enough

My experience has been similar to yours, prolific. I was not diagnosed until my late 30s. There were one or two "hyper" kids in my grade school classes, but there was no awareness of inattentive type ADHD. I managed to pass as a spacey creative type, I think.

I did fine in school. I did well enough in college and better in grad school, for the same reasons you specify. So long as I was taking classes I found interesting, I did well. And I find many things (outside of hard sciences, where I just don't have the aptitude) interesting. Procrastination was an issue, and I read more slowly than most, but I have excellent comprehension and fairly good retention for things I read. As an undergrad, I picked a major I enjoyed and took most of my electives in that major. And that worked out well for me.

I enjoy work when I'm working on interesting things. The trouble is keeping motivated when I'm working on projects and tasks that don't interest me. And, since I wear a lot of hats at work, task and project management is a necessity for me (I use the GTD methodology and a todo list manager called Things for OS X/iPhone/iPod touch).

As far as I can tell, ADHD is not so much about a deficit of attention. I have attention in spades. And I can really delve into things that I enjoy for long stretches of time (to the exclusion of all else, including, sometimes, eating). The hard part, for me, is being able to train my focus onto things that need to be done, even if they aren't inherently stimulating or meaningful. Life as an adult is full of lots of things that simply have to be attended to, even if I'd rather be thinking big thoughts, learning about something new, or working on some creative project.
Old 06-18-10, 02:00 AM

Carolann63362 is on a distinguished road

Ohh thanks so much for that article. I sure needed it