ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-22-10, 11:09 PM
Jr Member

adhddad_sj is on a distinguished road
Attention and Achievement Center

Hi,

We have heard advertisement on radio about this place and tried it. After spending $$$ just for test, now we were asked to spend 10x more for the treatment.

Does anyone know how effective of this treatment? If you just want to talk in private please PM me. I have searched yelp, google, and bing but couldn't find any review either positive or negative. It's really odd.

Please don't do those advertisement cut and paste to advertise more about that center. I am seeking personal experience and not promoter.

LLN
Old 06-23-10, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,632 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention and Achievement Center

I can't give you personal perspective on the center. I can tell you what I know as an ADHDer diagnosed 42 years ago.

There are few accepted treatments for ADHD. By far, the one most researched is stims. We know of a few non stim treatments now as well.

ADHD is not something that will be cured. If you have it, you have it for life. You stand a chance of passing it to your children. They may pass it to theirs.

If you want to ask direct questions and receive direct answers, my PM is open and I will do what I can to help.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-23-10)
Old 11-23-10, 01:51 AM

Zyrk is on a distinguished road

We're now facing the same problem. I have a gut feeling that all this is just a way of pulling out money out of people. Have you tried their treatment? Any results?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-10, 02:03 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyrk View Post
We're now facing the same problem. I have a gut feeling that all this is just a way of pulling out money out of people. Have you tried their treatment? Any results?
Don't use that service! The guy is like snake oil seller. I met w/ UCSF and the doctor told us that they only approve 2 methods: medicine and behavioral treatment for ADHD.

Note: entire consultation w/ UCSF are covered by our health insurance 100% (except co-payment), when we had to pay very single penny for those AAC service. I have learned that if insurance doesn't approve then it must not be a trusted service.

LLN
PS: I'm glad that you could do research to find this thread too.
The Following User Says Thank You to adhddad_sj For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-23-10)
Old 12-01-10, 11:46 PM

pullinghair is on a distinguished road

hi adhddad_sj, I am new to this site and found your post wanting more info on the attention & achievement center. I too was trying to find reviews or success stories on this facility and was just wondering if you have found out anything further. (I was doing a search and your post came up). I am a mother with a young son (7) who is ADHD and I really need to figure out something beyond stimulants. Seriously, our family really is at wits end. ADHD is a truly difficult and damaging disorder that needs some serious answers and research into cures. You got anything???
Old 12-03-10, 07:22 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinghair View Post
hi adhddad_sj, I am new to this site and found your post wanting more info on the attention & achievement center. I too was trying to find reviews or success stories on this facility and was just wondering if you have found out anything further. (I was doing a search and your post came up). I am a mother with a young son (7) who is ADHD and I really need to figure out something beyond stimulants. Seriously, our family really is at wits end. ADHD is a truly difficult and damaging disorder that needs some serious answers and research into cures. You got anything???
I am glad that my post can help some people. We went through UCSF diagnosis and one thing we learned for sure is only medication/stimulant or behavioral training can help.

Please don't use that AAAC service. It's totally bogus to me.

How old is your kid? Kid will eventually grow out of it. The kid won't ever be the same with the others but it's fine. My son w/o any medication can still get into honor (not the golden one) roll last trimester.

We have not tried medication yet. Probably we will but I don't see it's necessary yet.

Regards,
LLN
Old 12-19-11, 02:01 PM

adhdalaska is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Attention and Achievement Center

I have to correct the post on "only thing for sure is meds or behavioral therapy".
You have to do more research and not just believe something that one area tells you.
Insurance does not cover "alternative treatments" and most medical doctors will not reccomend a "non-medical" approach.
I personally have ADD (innatentive type). I have been on several different meds over the years. Mainly switching because they tend to stop working after sometime. I am now in my early forties a professional and mother of two.
My oldest child (8yo) recently displayed symptomd of ADHD and we tested. Positive. Went on med after med after med until my child asked me why? "why do I have to take these?" My child feels horrible before during and after. Having sleeping problems, when meds wear off problems, etc.
While meds work well for me (I made a choice, knew what I was doing and accepted the ups and downs) the choice being made for my child is not a good one.
More research led me to the fact that Stims do not help the "innattentive" type very much anyway, that they do stop working and you will have to switch at one time or another, sleep issues, anxiety etc.
You can do the research yourself and learn about how "brain training" help and th breakthroughs that are being made through neurofeedback, Interactive Metronome and Auditory Integregation training. Unfortunately they are rarely covered by insurance and very in quality.
Berard or Tomatis are awesome AIT training and work with amazing results but are copied in many different ways that it's hard to find someone who does a "true" AIT. Interactive Metronome can be found in Speech Therapy, OT, PT, MD offices, even your local gym and also has AMAZING results. Neuro/Bio Feedback tops the list and actually retrains your brain with lasting results and SHOULD be done by Psychologists or overseen by someone in the Behavioral health field. This is insurance covered most of the time if you can find someone within your network who provides it.
Bottom line:
1.Meds are not the answer (I personally know this) they are an option to help until you find an answer.
2.Depending on WHO (what field) you have test your child you will get always get a different answer and different reccomendations.
3.Parent/teacher checklists do not tell you if your child has ADHD they are all a matter of opinion.
4. All kids learn and act different, ask yourself; who is my childs behavior bothering? Is it their fault? Is it an allergy? Are there triggers? Just because your child doesn't fit into the school systems "BOX" doesn't mean they have any kind of disorder. Just because your child doesn't act like your neighbors kid doesn't mean they have a disorder. Just because your child doesn't want to "sit" in a chair for 8 hours of school with no arts or physical activity doesn't mean they have a disorder.
5.Normal behavior should have a BIG umbrella but doesn't.

and the big one...
ADD/ADHD is the most mis diagnosed/overdiagnosed disorder out there.

Check auditory and visual processing through an Audiologist and Developmental optometrist.