ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-10, 07:07 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough
Lamictal and Adderall

If anyone has any advice on dosage tips (in terms of time) for Lamictal and Adderall (or any other stims, really)...I take Adderall IR, or know anything about how the medications interact, that would be great. I want to be able to get the optimum effectiveness from both meds.
Old 08-16-10, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lamictal and Adderall

There are no known interactions between Lamictal and Adderall.

I take both, and both work.
Old 08-26-10, 05:11 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation

I take both adderall-xr 30 mg once per day ,plus lamictal 300 mg. I have been on adderall for about 4 years and lamictal for around 2-3 years. It works fine for me but then everybody's body chemistry is different. I also take lexapro for depression and anxiety.

I do pretty well on the combination... when I just took adderall-xr and lexapro, the adderall and lexapro helped tremoundously with my concentration and impulsivity, but it made me manic sometimes. ( bipolar). Since the lamictal was added to my medicine "cocktail" I am usually pretty mellow and laid back, although I still have my occasional episodes, just not nearly as often or severe.

I hope you can talk to a p-doc and get a med combo that works for you. Good luck.

I have found that you have no true control over life. You do however have control on how you deal with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
quirkyscrawler (09-02-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-10, 02:16 PM
Contributor

I just titrated up to the 100-mg pills of Lamictal (generic) this morning (so I would be taking a total of 200 mg/day. I was concerned that it would interfere with the Adderall...I also posted a similar question on this board about Klonopin, and someone mentioned that it was more of the "subjective" effects of the two that might make it seem like Adderall doesn't work as well. But as I am feeling very calm and clear-headed this morning, I think I'm going to try to look at Adderall a different way. I think because I self-medicated with coffee for so long, I associate concentration with a certain buzz (not euphoria necessarily, but the kind of alertness that you get with caffeine). Maybe this sense of mellowness will actually help me focus better. I think I just have to remind myself that what I'm looking for is to be functional on an everyday basis, and not to chase a feeling (because I'm at the point where my body has gotten used to the Adderall and I don't really "feel" it unless it has just kicked in, although I can tell if it's working if reading seems to go more smoothly than it usually does, or if I've been sitting at my computer writing for an hour or two). Adderall has helped to lift my mood at times, but not always, so I realized I needed something else. I've never tried SSRI's though, so I wonder if I should ask about that...adding Lexapro on top of the Lamictal, or replacing the Lamictal. Or Wellbutrin, perhaps?

Any additional input that anyone might have on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I've also been experiencing some side effects on Lamictal (itchy skin and canker sores), but my psychitrist told me not to worry about it. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, and if the side effects get worse on this higher dose I'll get it checked out.
Old 08-27-10, 02:18 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett View Post
I take both adderall-xr 30 mg once per day ,plus lamictal 300 mg. I have been on adderall for about 4 years and lamictal for around 2-3 years. It works fine for me but then everybody's body chemistry is different. I also take lexapro for depression and anxiety.

I do pretty well on the combination... when I just took adderall-xr and lexapro, the adderall and lexapro helped tremoundously with my concentration and impulsivity, but it made me manic sometimes. ( bipolar). Since the lamictal was added to my medicine "cocktail" I am usually pretty mellow and laid back, although I still have my occasional episodes, just not nearly as often or severe.

I hope you can talk to a p-doc and get a med combo that works for you. Good luck.
Would you mind sharing with me how the Lexapro has affected you? Did you experience more panic attacks in the beginning, as you were getting used it?

Thanksies. :-)
Old 09-02-10, 08:07 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett View Post

Hmm...I have been thinking about asking about the Lexapro. I read somewhere though that Adderall and SSRI's cancel each other out, but this may not be true. I have also heard that Adderall can be prescribed to "augment" SSRI's...I'm still trying to understand what this means. Some have reported that Lamictal (or at least the cognitive effects of Lamictal) blunts the Adderall, but you're right...everyone's different. May I ask how long the Adderall XR 30 mg lasts for you? How do you space out your meds, in terms of timing?
Old 09-02-10, 08:08 PM
Contributor

Oh sorry, I just realized I posted 3 times, on different occasions. Didn't mean to overwhelm you!