ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-10, 07:59 PM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice
How do you delete a reply?

Could someone tell me if (and how) you can delete a reply that you make?

Thanks!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 11-20-10, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,685 Times in 10,950 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you delete a reply?

I thought I read a similar question recently... aha, here it is:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...t=delete+posts

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (11-22-10), Imnapl (11-21-10), meadd823 (11-28-10), mimi'sdreaming (11-20-10), novagal (11-21-10)
Old 11-20-10, 08:25 PM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Thanks Lunacie!

I'll remember that from now on. I've never posted anything I'm embarrassed by; but not getting a thank you or a reply for something you took time with (and heartfelt to boot) is very bothersome and rude to me. I would like the option to remove it if the person it was intended to help didn't appreciate it.

I think I've learned my lesson!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-10, 12:53 PM

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sdreaming View Post

I'll remember that from now on. I've never posted anything I'm embarrassed by; but not getting a thank you or a reply for something you took time with (and heartfelt to boot) is very bothersome and rude to me. I would like the option to remove it if the person it was intended to help didn't appreciate it.
I understand how you feel, I really do. The thing about replying to posts is that we can't control how others recieve our replies, we can only control what we choose to share. It would be great if appreciation were always shown for people's efforts here, wouldn't it? I've spent hours at times writing out a heartfelt and lengthy reply to something and felt like it was invisible to the person I was replying to, and yes, I've felt a bit disappointed about it.

Somewhere along the lines I began to realize it doesn't matter. I need to make the effort because *I* want to and feel good about doing it, and drop any expectations beyond that. If I get a thanks, that's great and it does feel good!

Some folks simply forget to use the thanks function, I know I've done that on occasion, I mean we *are* a forum full of ADHDers. Maybe they don't like what I have to say - and that's their perogative.

What's most helpful to me is to keep in mind that there are many people who aren't even members who read what we post here, and our willingness to open up and take the time to write thoughtful, heartfelt posts *is* meaningful to someone somewhere, though we may never know where and to whom.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to novagal For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-10), Andi (11-26-10), angora (11-23-10), danelady (11-23-10), EYEFORGOT (11-22-10), Imnapl (11-21-10), livinginchaos (11-21-10), Lunacie (11-21-10), LynneC (11-23-10), meadd823 (11-28-10), meridian (11-24-10), mimi'sdreaming (11-23-10), tinywiney (11-21-10)
Old 11-23-10, 11:19 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by novagal View Post
I understand how you feel, I really do. The thing about replying to posts is that we can't control how others recieve our replies, we can only control what we choose to share. It would be great if appreciation were always shown for people's efforts here, wouldn't it? I've spent hours at times writing out a heartfelt and lengthy reply to something and felt like it was invisible to the person I was replying to, and yes, I've felt a bit disappointed about it.

Somewhere along the lines I began to realize it doesn't matter. I need to make the effort because *I* want to and feel good about doing it, and drop any expectations beyond that. If I get a thanks, that's great and it does feel good!

Some folks simply forget to use the thanks function, I know I've done that on occasion, I mean we *are* a forum full of ADHDers. Maybe they don't like what I have to say - and that's their perogative.

What's most helpful to me is to keep in mind that there are many people who aren't even members who read what we post here, and our willingness to open up and take the time to write thoughtful, heartfelt posts *is* meaningful to someone somewhere, though we may never know where and to whom.
Wonderful post and advice!

I come to this forum for help and to possibly help others. Sadly, a few months ago, I took up for a friend that got jumped on and haven't been treated quite the same since (by some). I don't mind (as I'm an adult and do not use this forum as an outlet for my friendships). I have plenty in real life.

I honestly asked this question to know the answer, nothing more. I had no idea that you couldn't delete a reply. Unfortunately, someone took away rep points for asking the question!

I will continue to post what I feel in my heart! It all goes back to this being a place for HELP!

The Following User Says Thank You to mimi'sdreaming For This Useful Post:
meridian (11-24-10)
Old 11-23-10, 11:29 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wonderful post and advice!

I come to this forum for help and to possibly help others. Sadly, a few months ago, I took up for a friend that got jumped on and haven't been treated quite the same since (by some). I don't mind (as I'm an adult and do not use this forum as an outlet for my friendships). I have plenty in real life.

I honestly asked this question to know the answer, nothing more. I had no idea that you couldn't delete a reply. Unfortunately, someone took away rep points for asking the question!

I will continue to post what I feel in my heart! It all goes back to this being a place for HELP!
That's a shame about the rep points, but it says more about the other person's heart than it does about yours. I've been a little hurt or maybe frustrated when I posted something in a sincere attempt to be helpful and my post was never acknowledged by that person. But I've learned that there are a lot of people just lurking and reading and learning, and maybe I helped one of them. Maybe I just gave someone a chance to took at things in a new light. Maybe I made someone feel like they aren't alone. So it's all okay. Glad to hear that you will continue to post your thoughts and offer to help or at least let someone else know they aren't alone.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
meridian (11-24-10), mimi'sdreaming (11-23-10)
Old 11-23-10, 11:42 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
That's a shame about the rep points, but it says more about the other person's heart than it does about yours. I've been a little hurt or maybe frustrated when I posted something in a sincere attempt to be helpful and my post was never acknowledged by that person. But I've learned that there are a lot of people just lurking and reading and learning, and maybe I helped one of them. Maybe I just gave someone a chance to took at things in a new light. Maybe I made someone feel like they aren't alone. So it's all okay. Glad to hear that you will continue to post your thoughts and offer to help or at least let someone else know they aren't alone.
Thanks Lunacie!

I agree that is speaks to the person's character. Everyone's opinion is just that! Sadly, they have been doing it since I took up for my friend, so I know it's just for spite.

I thought seriously about not returning, but realized that I'm here for the right reasons, and it's not for what others might think of me. I can be outspoken (as many on here are) but that's just who I am!

Thanks for the support!

The Following User Says Thank You to mimi'sdreaming For This Useful Post:
meridian (11-24-10)
Old 11-23-10, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Lunacie!

I agree that is speaks to the person's character. Everyone's opinion is just that! Sadly, they have been doing it since I took up for my friend, so I know it's just for spite.

I thought seriously about not returning, but realized that I'm here for the right reasons, and it's not for what others might think of me. I can be outspoken (as many on here are) but that's just who I am!

Thanks for the support!
It takes a LOT for me to take away rep points because I know how it makes me feel. But we gotta remember how impulsive posters with ADHD can be, eh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
meridian (11-24-10), mimi'sdreaming (11-24-10)
Old 11-23-10, 09:16 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by novagal View Post

I agree, wholeheartedly! The person whom you meant to help may not 'get' or appreciate the effort, but please never forget that many, many people will read the post and will likely take something from it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
meridian (11-24-10), mimi'sdreaming (11-24-10)
Old 11-28-10, 02:02 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,343 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Lunacie!

I think I've learned my lesson!

- I hated the thirty minute thing when I first became a member because of my dyslexia which causes a host of writing problems.

I use a word processor for longer post in case the lights flicker and turn off my computer - I have auto-save feature so all my work won't be lost. For shorter post I will go advance then preview the post and re-read until I am satisfied.The thirty minute edit time limit doesn't start until you hit "submit".

As far as removing a post as a member of staff I am a minimalist when it comes to editing post period. As some one who has had to edit posts I can attest to how context dependent threads are - While others may not directly quote or address you there are times when others will indirectly refer to an idea presented therefore removing a post not directly responded to can change the thread enough to cause confusion.

As already mentioned there are always many more "lurkers" than participants in any given thread and you never know who you may help.

The rep thing has in all honestly been covered at nauseam but I realized many here now may not have been here then.

First and foremost most people who are distracted by their rep points have the option to prevent their display - this is why some members have little black boxes instead of green ones - these people have opted to not have their rep displayed.

To turn rep point display off - upper left first choice click "User CP", then left hand navigation third section "Settings & Options" Fourth choice click "Edit Options", second choice Uncheck "show your reputation level" scroll to bottom click "save changes"

The "thank you feature" is a funny thing - I have poured my heart and sole out not to be acknowledged - Heck I have poured my heart out only to get neg rep for it - then there are times I have posted flippantly or even with a bit of tongue and cheek and received positive rep points and several thanks.

I always appreciate positive feed back but there are times I receive negative rep too just like every one else. I realize the feed back is an opinion and some folks are simply going to have a negative reaction to me some times - it goes along the lines of I find some people's toxic and their input unsupportive in turn others are going to feel that way about me. Luckily there are also people who like my post and so far I have been fortunate in that those who like my post are able to give more points than those who do not have been able to remove.

I like to give positive points and do so daily. I rarely give negative rep but I have on a hand full of occasions.

The thanks - are also appreciated I find several thanks to post to be encouraging but it would be disingenuous to post as a way of "fishing" for thanks or even props in responses, I see this in the same manner as those who fish for compliments or sympathy for no other reason than to gain attention = to me it feel sort of like a reverse troll.

Personally I post out a desire to help but that help should be given freely Being encouraged by thanks or reps is a bonus but no one "owes" me any thing but the common courtesy as out lined by the ADDF guidelines -

Please note this is my personal opinion nothing more nothing less however I do hope it helps.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-29-10), Imnapl (11-28-10), Lunacie (11-28-10), mimi'sdreaming (11-29-10)
Old 11-29-10, 12:37 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
- I hated the thirty minute thing when I first became a member because of my dyslexia which causes a host of writing problems.

I use a word processor for longer post in case the lights flicker and turn off my computer - I have auto-save feature so all my work won't be lost. For shorter post I will go advance then preview the post and re-read until I am satisfied.The thirty minute edit time limit doesn't start until you hit "submit".

As far as removing a post as a member of staff I am a minimalist when it comes to editing post period. As some one who has had to edit posts I can attest to how context dependent threads are - While others may not directly quote or address you there are times when others will indirectly refer to an idea presented therefore removing a post not directly responded to can change the thread enough to cause confusion.

As already mentioned there are always many more "lurkers" than participants in any given thread and you never know who you may help.

The rep thing has in all honestly been covered at nauseam but I realized many here now may not have been here then.

First and foremost most people who are distracted by their rep points have the option to prevent their display - this is why some members have little black boxes instead of green ones - these people have opted to not have their rep displayed.

To turn rep point display off - upper left first choice click "User CP", then left hand navigation third section "Settings & Options" Fourth choice click "Edit Options", second choice Uncheck "show your reputation level" scroll to bottom click "save changes"

The "thank you feature" is a funny thing - I have poured my heart and sole out not to be acknowledged - Heck I have poured my heart out only to get neg rep for it - then there are times I have posted flippantly or even with a bit of tongue and cheek and received positive rep points and several thanks.

I always appreciate positive feed back but there are times I receive negative rep too just like every one else. I realize the feed back is an opinion and some folks are simply going to have a negative reaction to me some times - it goes along the lines of I find some people's toxic and their input unsupportive in turn others are going to feel that way about me. Luckily there are also people who like my post and so far I have been fortunate in that those who like my post are able to give more points than those who do not have been able to remove.

I like to give positive points and do so daily. I rarely give negative rep but I have on a hand full of occasions.

The thanks - are also appreciated I find several thanks to post to be encouraging but it would be disingenuous to post as a way of "fishing" for thanks or even props in responses, I see this in the same manner as those who fish for compliments or sympathy for no other reason than to gain attention = to me it feel sort of like a reverse troll.

Personally I post out a desire to help but that help should be given freely Being encouraged by thanks or reps is a bonus but no one "owes" me any thing but the common courtesy as out lined by the ADDF guidelines -

Please note this is my personal opinion nothing more nothing less however I do hope it helps.
Thanks so much, meadd823!

I for one do not care about rep points. It's just the misuse and abuse mentality that bothers me. I have to say I'm "humbled" by the responses I've received (mainly in private) in support of my comments. This should be a place to get and give help, not to look for reasons to get someone.

I couldn't agree more that you (as a poster) are owed not one thing for a response. I was just raised to always say please and thank you, and will continue to do so for the rest of my days. As for what others choose to do; that's their decision. It's a very vulnerable feeling to share personal information about yourself (or child) and have it ignored. I now realize through the many positive comments from this thread, that it's more about All the people it could possibly help.

As I stated earlier, this was an honest question. I never meant to get into a debate about replying to a post.

I'm glad to know about the rep points setting. I will definitely use it.