ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Advocacy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Foundation Services Wanted Poll #1
Reading Assistance (reading faster and comprehending more) 56 24.45%
Writing Assistance (writing neater and clearer) 51 22.27%
Studying Assistance (learning to study better and/or having a tutor) 82 35.81%
Note-Taking Assistance (taking better notes and/or having a note-taker in class for you) 48 20.96%
Paper Clutter Management Assistance (keeping desks clear and managing paper flow) 118 51.53%
Household Mgmt (Clutter Reduction, Cleaning and Organizing Household) 139 60.70%
Interior Decorating Assistance (creating comfortable, attractive and useful living environments) 41 17.90%
Bill Paying Assistance (tracking, writing and sending Bills) 85 37.12%
Checkbook Assistance (tracking finances, balancing checkbooks) 71 31.00%
Career Selection Assistance (choosing careers) 91 39.74%
Education Selection Assistance (choosing schools and programs) 52 22.71%
Being On-Time to Appts Assistance 68 29.69%
Task Prioritization Assistance (keeping whats important first) 120 52.40%
Scheduling Assistance (scheduling appts and tasks regularly) 86 37.55%
Social Cue Assistance (learning more about social cues) 92 40.17%
Exercise and Recreational Activity Assistance (getting and remaining involved in activities and exercise) 95 41.48%
Social Friendship Assistance (developing and keeping a network of valued friends) 98 42.79%
Intimate Relationship Assistance (keeping romantic relationships healthy) 95 41.48%
Work Relationship Assistance (getting along with and earning respect of co-workers and bosses) 84 36.68%
Mood or Attitude Assistance (keeping from getting depressed and/or discouraged) 136 59.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-03, 09:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
Attention Deficit Disorder Foundation Services Wanted Poll #1

Please answer these questions to help identify services Adults with ADD need. Thank you, Jonathan

Please post details about your experiences either receiving or not being able to receive or difficulties obtaining these services.

Thank you, Jonathan

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 12-20-03, 03:28 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I have a lot of trouble answering this because the more I look at it the more I think that ALL of these are important things to have assistance for.

And part of the problem will be the different locations around the world that this 'foundation' would be in. In my area of Canada, for example, assistance with many of those educational issues are offered free and paid for by the government. In other areas they are offered but cost hard cash. In other areas there is no assistance at all... and in some schools, no assistance is even allowed. Does the 'foundation' then supply its own counsellors, direct you to existing ones, or pay for existing ones, or all three depending on location?

Some additional crucial things IMHO:

Credit rating recovery/preservation services

Parenting skills services - both for parents of ADD kids and ADD parents of ADD and non ADD kids

Medication services - advice, alternative approaches, funding, availability

Advocacy services - lobbying the government for more beneficial ADD support laws, opposing laws that will make life more difficult for those with ADD

Computer/PDA skills services - many people with ADD in their lives are not connected to this forum

Others I have thought of but forgotten since I began this post.

Really, anything that has a subcategory here at the ADD forums would be worthwhile looking at as a possible area that such a comprehensive foundation would deal with.

And... may I humbly submit... I love the idea of this... but is this not more than we can chew? Unless someone out there IS independently wealthy,or an expert on getting gov't grants, and hasn't told me about it...
The Following User Says Thank You to waywardclam For This Useful Post:
4rch0n4n6313 (07-30-15)
Old 12-20-03, 03:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

biker is on a distinguished road
I aagree with WW. I could use a lot of help in all these areas. Right now I am getting that help through my therapist and meds. I think a key to this whole thing would be getting socieity to understand ADD. Then as they became educated then that would open up avenues for help with ADD issues. It is very hard for people who do not have ADD to understand it.
Jim
Old 12-20-03, 08:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I have interest from outside the ADD community in putting a foundation together to help Adult ADDers. I hope I am able to return to them with some form of feedback and data that sounds positive and worth investing time into.

I am trying to provide that data by first formulating what adults need and want, and then determine whether they are able to get those needs and services met. Those that are not readily available, the goals would be to expand availability. More information is all that is needed now.

Before a selection of services can be targeted as needed, people have to provide data as to what is deemed important. Later, of those services that are needed, people will rank those in importance in future surveys, and rank them in terms of available access. From there it can be determined which services are needed most, based on importance and on availability. Those would be the first services that would be considered as a first step in the direction of helping Adults with ADD.

I fyou don't mind, answer the poll and if applicable then click on every service if all of them are needed. This poll is denoted as #1 because it is assumed that a #2 with all your recommendations will come out too...and a #3...etc. I have found that there are many gaps in services needed versus services provided in my area of Florida. I need most of the above services too, but that doesn't mean I know whether all ADDers could benefit from the same things I need, so feedback and filling out the poll is very helpful in determining what ADDers need.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 12-21-03, 02:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Early results are already intersting!

Keep voting.

A vote from every member would be nice!!!

Old 12-22-03, 11:32 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Perhaps the Admins could send a email message out to all members, active or not, inviting them to vote in this pole?

smoo
Old 12-22-03, 11:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Good suggestion Smooch

Admins? ...

Old 12-22-03, 11:55 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,632 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
While I think this is certainly a worthwhile topic, we also wish to respect our members. E-mails for things other than ADD Forum-specific announcements would be considered SPAM by many.

The best thing I can offer, at the moment, is to "stick" this thread at the top of the section.

Hopefully if we are able to raise enough money to switch to Version 2 of the ADD Forums, things like mailing lists could be opted in to, etc. by topic. (as a future feature)

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 12-22-03, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Hi Andrew. Can you do that, stick this at the top of a section? I think that would be a great help.

Jon

Old 12-22-03, 12:21 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,632 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Done

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 12-22-03, 12:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thank you!

Jon

Old 12-22-03, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Hey everyone

Just want to remind members to fill out the poll.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...&threadid=3537

The results are really showing some differences between low concerns and high concerns.

About 71 views so far, but less than 10 poll replies so far. Thats a little better than 10% so far. I know we can get a better participation rate in doing our own exploration of our needs. Or do we need the non-ADDers to research us? With the non-ADDers we might get stuck with results and attitudes we are not happy with.

Jonathan

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...&threadid=3537

Old 12-22-03, 11:53 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I've viewed it five times so far, but can only vote once, just to point out...
Old 12-23-03, 02:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

True Wayward. No way to know for sure how many times people have actually viewed it.

But I still want to see a higher number of votes!! lol

Thanks

Jon

Old 12-24-03, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
I see all the things as something that an ADD could possible need help with

but the one crucial thing that I dont see which is

Assistance to help a ADDer recognise that there is a name for the beast that has plauged them all their life.

Is not recognistion and acceptace of the so called disorder the biggest stumbling block to the whole situation.

I myself recognise that I could use help in most of the areas if I want to try and make myself fall into the mould that society tries to put everyone into.

If I had learned what I know now at an earlier age

and concentrated

on what I do best

as opposed to trying to learn how to do things that do not interest me

then my time would have been better spent

These are all things that WE can really use and appreciate proper help, but only if there is a true need, not becuse society demands that we can do these things

as an example ,for myself per say

Don't waste your time trying to teach me how to SPELL
Teach me how to use a spell checker

and then spend the rest of the time helping me to DISCOVER what my STRENGTHS are, and then HELP me to figure out how I can use them in life to make a living and exist in the world

in my humble oppinion

Once I could put a name to the beast,
My life made more sence,
Once my life made more sence,

Then I took the time to seek out help, with the issues in life that really caused me heartache.

I now avoid, or hire assistace, with the areas that dont interest me!!!!

When the student is ready

Then the teacher will appear

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Last edited by Garry; 12-24-03 at 10:38 AM..