ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-04, 12:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ancient Music has disabled reputation
Hello again my Beautiful Wildcat... :-X :-X

>You're the one who threw your CD's out, even when I played them for you

And you know.....I wondered how the hell I ever enjoyed that s***

>Oh Honey, cognitive behavior therapy works so well on you.

((((((((grrrrrrrr)))))))))

*Does she have to be so right so often*

*Being married to a highly intelligent Lady does create some rather tricky mazes to negotiate* ((((((big, big grin))))))))

>Ummm, isn't there a particular tenor you love to listen to as well???

All right!....All right!......Dont remind me quite so often..

Pretty Please?

Love and Kisses,
~Viktoria

And the same back to you my Love... :-X (((((heart throb)))))

XXXOOOXXX[/quote]
Old 09-29-04, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Careful, your fangs are showing

Love,
~Viktoria
XXXXX
Old 09-29-04, 02:47 PM

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Viktoria, I must say that the way music works most effectively for me is by singing myself. I am in a choir and the breathing exercises and concentration required is sooooo sooothing. I come away feeling totally rejuvenated, focused, and calm. It nourishes and heals my soul. It is where I can shout out my happiness, cry out my pain, and "scream" out my angers and frustrations. It doesn't matter what kind of music it is as long as it's complicated and challenging. I particularly like anything in the minor keys, though. Suits me somehow.

As far as listening to music, I have to say I enjoy almost everything except really wild jazz. Jazz makes me nervous and edgy as will too much techno. I end up feeling like someone plugged me into a wall socket. I also can't listen to music (or watch TV for that matter) if anyone is in the room because I can't separate what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing from the music and that makes me crazy. I am incapable of understanding what someone says to me if there is music playing. It's all gibberish which makes conversation also impossible.

You ought to see me at parties! I smile and nod a lot!
Old 09-29-04, 03:41 PM

Draga has disabled reputation
Songs from Linkin Park, Metallica, Disturbed and Korn are definetly sing songs I can related to in reference to ADHD and ways we are treated in society and thery help me feel a lot better and even more stronger inside.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-29-04, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

daisyo75 is on a distinguished road
I have found that I can shut everything out if I listen to electronica/techno music. Depending on what I'm doing I will choose something that is a little faster or slower.

Before children I would clean my house to Ace of Base. It kept me moving. I also like to work on mindless tasks like housework while listening to books on tape.

Now that I have kids that I need to be able to hear while I am doing things I mostly don't listen to anything. Well that's not entirely true.... there is the constant racket of childrens music, television, etc.

My name is Daisy and I have a short atten.... oh look at that shiny rock.
Old 09-29-04, 05:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

pinkie is on a distinguished road
I can't have music or anything like that playing when I'm doing things that require focus. But I tend to gravitate toward pretty, mellow music sung by people with soothing or interesting voices. For example, I love Dido, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Dixie Chicks (less mellow but pretty sound).

I also love classical music but only in small doses.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
- Kermit the Frog
Old 09-29-04, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vero is on a distinguished road
Every time I hear Africa by Toto - no matter what chaotic mess I'm in the middle of - it calms me down instantly. Also Southern Cross by Crosby,Stills & Nash but that's for sentimental reasons. Although, I ususally end up crying by the end of that song. Um... what else... Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty, In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel, Downtown Train by Tom Waits (NOT Rod Stewart - he should be arrested for what he did to that song!) Tunnel of Love - Springsteen, I could probably go on for hours like this but I'll stop now!
Old 09-29-04, 09:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

P_Stampy is on a distinguished road
I like trance stuff... doof doof stuff with no words!
Old 09-30-04, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimalimah
Viktoria, I must say that the way music works most effectively for me is by singing myself. I am in a choir and the breathing exercises and concentration required is sooooo sooothing. I come away feeling totally rejuvenated, focused, and calm. It nourishes and heals my soul. It is where I can shout out my happiness, cry out my pain, and "scream" out my angers and frustrations. It doesn't matter what kind of music it is as long as it's complicated and challenging. I particularly like anything in the minor keys, though. Suits me somehow.

As far as listening to music, I have to say I enjoy almost everything except really wild jazz. Jazz makes me nervous and edgy as will too much techno. I end up feeling like someone plugged me into a wall socket. I also can't listen to music (or watch TV for that matter) if anyone is in the room because I can't separate what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing from the music and that makes me crazy. I am incapable of understanding what someone says to me if there is music playing. It's all gibberish which makes conversation also impossible.

You ought to see me at parties! I smile and nod a lot!
Kim, the choristry you do would be giving you an oxygen high, which is very good for you. After prolonged singing, your own natural endorphins set in, and this is what relaxes you; the singing requires that you take in more oxygen than most people would in every day life. I love the minor key as well.....it's natural for me. Jazz can be really too much .

I hate talking and having music on at the same time.......amazing how much of this I relate to
Old 09-30-04, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draga
Songs from Linkin Park, Metallica, Disturbed and Korn are definetly sing songs I can related to in reference to ADHD and ways we are treated in society and thery help me feel a lot better and even more stronger inside.
Draga, I know what you mean about "songs you can relate to" in reference to ADHD and societies narrow thinking!

Strange but so far most people appear to either like really calming music, or really up beat. Wonder if that is in accordance with the type of ADD/ADHD [i still like ADD rather than ADHD]ADHD.

Does the same music help your PTSD? I find really hyped up music terrible for my PTSD....
Old 09-30-04, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyo75
I have found that I can shut everything out if I listen to electronica/techno music. Depending on what I'm doing I will choose something that is a little faster or slower.

Before children I would clean my house to Ace of Base. It kept me moving. I also like to work on mindless tasks like housework while listening to books on tape.

Now that I have kids that I need to be able to hear while I am doing things I mostly don't listen to anything. Well that's not entirely true.... there is the constant racket of childrens music, television, etc.
Daisy, what you do is so similar to me. According to what I am doing, or what I want to be doing is applicable to the choice of music

Books on tape? You're gamer than I.....I'd fall asleep
Old 09-30-04, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero
Every time I hear Africa by Toto - no matter what chaotic mess I'm in the middle of - it calms me down instantly. Also Southern Cross by Crosby,Stills & Nash but that's for sentimental reasons. Although, I ususally end up crying by the end of that song. Um... what else... Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty, In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel, Downtown Train by Tom Waits (NOT Rod Stewart - he should be arrested for what he did to that song!) Tunnel of Love - Springsteen, I could probably go on for hours like this but I'll stop now!
I'm going to have to find this piece of music you mention, "Africa". I love some of the music by enigma, and they play some almost ribal music that is extremely primitive, but very haunting.

You have a wide selection, from calming to mid way, to up beat! Good for you
Old 09-30-04, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie
I can't have music or anything like that playing when I'm doing things that require focus. But I tend to gravitate toward pretty, mellow music sung by people with soothing or interesting voices. For example, I love Dido, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Dixie Chicks (less mellow but pretty sound).

I also love classical music but only in small doses.
Yours appears to be a similar theme, Pinkie. No music when trying to concentrate! Other than that, you are a mellow music lover, which is interesting, as it shows that people are either selecting upbeat or mellow.

It's ok about the classical, some of it is horrid !
Old 09-30-04, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Stampy
I like trance stuff... doof doof stuff with no words!
Now you got me what is trance stuff? Have you got a song name example??

Do you mean alternative? Not too sure here. But strange ....i relate to music with no words; if I want to hear words, I'll sit and listen. Other than the requiems written by classical composers.
Old 09-30-04, 09:39 AM

IndyCelt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
I'm interested to know if any of you use any particular type of music to your advantage.

So what floats your boat?
A song?
A style?
Genre?
Artist?

Yes, you can name favorites , but I'm interested in what you find really helps you.
~Viktoria
Song: Ordinary Day by Great Big Sea. Hearing it will lift my energy and spirits everytime.

Style/Genre: Traditional Celtic while working. Long before ADD diagnosis, discovered that it helped with focus as there is a repetition inherent in traditional music. Celtic rock any other time.

Artist: Celtic traditional: Old Blind Dogs, Tannahill Weavers, Danu, Altan. Celtic rock: Wolfstone, Runrig, Glengarry Bhoys. Non Celtic - Carbon Leaf.

Cheryl