ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-04, 09:41 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
Music has always been a huge part of my life. I have an Ipod with 9,000+ tracks on it. What I find the best for calming me down is some acoustic alternative music. For some reason, Dave Matthews, no matter how bad I'm feeling, I can listen to it and it just makes me happy. The acoustic versions of Two Step are just amazing. Its just a happy and calming song.

The coolest thing I've found that helps my ADD out as far as music goes is my home theater room. I have a projector that projects a 100" image onto a pull down screen and its connected directly to my computer, so the image is 5 feet tall and 6 and a 2/3 feet wide(60" x 80") and its amazingly clear. I play Winamp with these 3D Visualizations and with my surround sound system, I can hear and see the emotions of the music. It envelopes me and I can get lost for hours watching music because its so big.

Last edited by cualexander; 09-30-04 at 09:51 AM..
Old 09-30-04, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Late response, but I do so enjoy the Tocatta and Fugue. I also very much enjoy Little Fugue in D Minor.

For the person above me: Do you often find that WinAmp Visualizations work? I like to just close my eyes and move on my own, I've found WinAmp visualizations often catch the tempo and pace, but not the spirit and feeling, of music. Sometimes, I just stare blankly into one of the repeating pattern drawings I've done...that works well, you can lose yourself, heh.
Old 09-30-04, 10:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I've just recently taken up singing & playing guitar & I'm really loving it. I used to be way to shy to sing but I sang in the car with the radio or in the shower, etc. I like folk & rock/alternative stuff with interesting and or heartfelt lyrics. I used to be a major Jethro Tull fan. I go through phases. Classical tends to bore me but maybe I could get into it again. The singing is really great therapy for my latent, everpresent anxiety.

One thing, I do tend to get songs stuck in my ear. Especially the more I'm playing the same thing over & over... that gets annoying. I guess it's my touch of OCD kicking in. I used to play electric bass as a kid & was never very good but got good enough to do some improvising in a style that was sort of a Bach/Classical feel. I actually built a harpsichord, that'll give you an idea of the style I'm talking about. But I never learned to play it gave it to my brother when I went off to college. Recently I'm on this folk country kick with stuff like Niel Young, John Prine, etc. Ha such funny twangy country but with a clever twist & somber stuff like CSNY Helpless.... Big birds flying across the sky.... Throwing shadows on our eyes.... I can sing that with feeling & it comes out just right. Joan Baez is amazing.

I think this is the only method for emotional release that is working for me, I've come to hate going to a therapist to cry on their shoulder but the singing I crave. It'd be cool to write some songs about my life as a catharsis.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-04, 11:03 AM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCelt
Song: Ordinary Day by Great Big Sea. Hearing it will lift my energy and spirits everytime.

Style/Genre: Traditional Celtic while working. Long before ADD diagnosis, discovered that it helped with focus as there is a repetition inherent in traditional music. Celtic rock any other time.

Artist: Celtic traditional: Old Blind Dogs, Tannahill Weavers, Danu, Altan. Celtic rock: Wolfstone, Runrig, Glengarry Bhoys. Non Celtic - Carbon Leaf.
Celtic music is beautiful. I have a favorite CD that I cannot remember the name of right now, but it's very lilting and gentle. I agree that Celtic helps produce focus. The repetition is the thing I find intriguing, and it's that that is so calming.
Old 09-30-04, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cualexander
Music has always been a huge part of my life. I have an Ipod with 9,000+ tracks on it. What I find the best for calming me down is some acoustic alternative music. For some reason, Dave Matthews, no matter how bad I'm feeling, I can listen to it and it just makes me happy. The acoustic versions of Two Step are just amazing. Its just a happy and calming song.

The coolest thing I've found that helps my ADD out as far as music goes is my home theater room. I have a projector that projects a 100" image onto a pull down screen and its connected directly to my computer, so the image is 5 feet tall and 6 and a 2/3 feet wide(60" x 80") and its amazingly clear. I play Winamp with these 3D Visualizations and with my surround sound system, I can hear and see the emotions of the music. It envelopes me and I can get lost for hours watching music because its so big.
Ah, home theater plus Winamp Visualizations Very calming. I swear thos things hypnotize me way beyond hyperfocus

I can relate to the accoustic alternative as calming. Another "calming music" lover!
Old 09-30-04, 11:08 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
Winamp Visualizations by default aren't that great but if you do some research into the subject, you can find some that really are able to capture the emotion of the music. I have ones that are in complete 3D and look absolutely amazing. It also really depends on the song too, songs with a lot of different things going on and a continuous driving beat work really well.

The best example is the song "Clocks" by Coldplay. I find experiencing music both visually and audibly in this way is just so more engrossing and relaxing because the visuals give my active mind something to focus on because I have 3600 different patterns that change randomly when the program feels a emotional shift in the music.
Old 09-30-04, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller
Late response, but I do so enjoy the Tocatta and Fugue. I also very much enjoy Little Fugue in D Minor.

For the person above me: Do you often find that WinAmp Visualizations work? I like to just close my eyes and move on my own, I've found WinAmp visualizations often catch the tempo and pace, but not the spirit and feeling, of music. Sometimes, I just stare blankly into one of the repeating pattern drawings I've done...that works well, you can lose yourself, heh.
KMiller, you heard Widor's works? I think if you like the Bach, you will like those too. About Winamp, you can get better Visualizations if you download them individually, but I relate to them not catching the feeling. Music "is" the spirit, and I think the listener either 'feels' or doesn't.
Old 09-30-04, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
I've just recently taken up singing & playing guitar & I'm really loving it. I used to be way to shy to sing but I sang in the car with the radio or in the shower, etc. I like folk & rock/alternative stuff with interesting and or heartfelt lyrics. I used to be a major Jethro Tull fan. I go through phases. Classical tends to bore me but maybe I could get into it again. The singing is really great therapy for my latent, everpresent anxiety.

One thing, I do tend to get songs stuck in my ear. Especially the more I'm playing the same thing over & over... that gets annoying. I guess it's my touch of OCD kicking in. I used to play electric bass as a kid & was never very good but got good enough to do some improvising in a style that was sort of a Bach/Classical feel. I actually built a harpsichord, that'll give you an idea of the style I'm talking about. But I never learned to play it gave it to my brother when I went off to college. Recently I'm on this folk country kick with stuff like Niel Young, John Prine, etc. Ha such funny twangy country but with a clever twist & somber stuff like CSNY Helpless.... Big birds flying across the sky.... Throwing shadows on our eyes.... I can sing that with feeling & it comes out just right. Joan Baez is amazing.

I think this is the only method for emotional release that is working for me, I've come to hate going to a therapist to cry on their shoulder but the singing I crave. It'd be cool to write some songs about my life as a catharsis.
Another singer? Kim as well! What kind of studies are you doing for the music, Paul? Breathing, and all those scales? Scales in minor keys are far more heartfelt than the major. Hint: If you did classical training, the rest is extremely simplistic. 2 years classic=made it for other styles. If doing classic for classic, then it's about 10 years ....full time.

Heartfelt lyrics are probably the best thing you could do to gain the edge on the ability to focus well. From the classic point of view, there are so many emotions that are portrayed that we never are without anger, passion, love, .....and all that stuff type of emotional material. Basically, classic is the elite version of drugs, sex, rock and roll.

I love a modern type song called "Lately".....but can't remember who sang it.

It seems you are another that likes the soothing effects.....keep up the practice
Ahhhhh, the music IS the therapist. Many hospitals even use music as a form of therapy. I have had quite a lot to do with this type of thing, and as for 'crying on the therapists shoulder', so to speak.....forget it for me!!!
Old 09-30-04, 11:24 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I'm a total newbie with the music playing thing, never learned to read music, it's been 20 years since I played bass, I'm only a month or so into this & am just teaching myself. I'm pretty darn good for only a month in but actually very very ignorant & unskilled. But it's fun.
Old 09-30-04, 11:49 AM

You can probably download a lot of things from the net, Paul. Just keep it "fun" is the best way.
Old 10-03-04, 08:40 PM
Contributor

Emma S has disabled reputation
I am not sure why but beats orientated music-drum and bass,and breaks can keep me listening to it for ages.
I like to sit next to my 80 watt speakers and 'feel' the bass as well.
Old 10-03-04, 08:48 PM
Jr Member

Levyii is on a distinguished road
i'd have to say that rap and alternative rock definately keep my attention. im a youngin so im sure this type of music isnt too commone among the rest of you lol. also, as bad as my memory is, i can remember song lyrics like you wouldnt believe and i can tell what song it is and who sings it within the first 10-15 sec of a song! lol

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is infinite. This is a very comforting thought -- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things.
Old 10-04-04, 12:45 PM
Forum Guru

cameron has a spectacular aura aboutcameron has a spectacular aura about
Good post!

Well, I am a huge music person..sometimes this is what keeps me "sain' in a my life struggles....

I love Electronic music. A lot of different styles(a lot of the downtempo stuff currently produced is really good)..I grew up in the mid 80s with old school Hip Hop music and Electro..and I still DJ(yes, I have turntables, a mixer, records, etc)...

I also enjoy mellow ambient type music at night to help relax me...I would suggest this sort of music for a lot of Adder's....if you can stand music with no lyrics, its VERY soothing and claming for the most part. A lot of it is failry "spacey"...this music for some reason appeals to mostly males, not sure why...maybe cause its produced with Computer's and Synthesizer's!?

Some artists to check out are:

1. Brian Eno & Harold Budd
2. Tim Story
3. Vangelis(he is VERY popular and I'm sure some of you have heard of him)
4. Aphex Twin(Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2)..classic....
Old 10-04-04, 01:31 PM

mnhead81 is on a distinguished road
I find that jam-based music really throws me into a state of hyperfocus, regardless of what I need to be doing. Bands like Phish, Grateful Dead...Moreso the smaller bands that I listen to though...Umphrey's Mcgee, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (instrument-based electronic stuff...really cool...) What gets me there the best is the long, winding jams more than the parts of the songs with lyrics...The songs that last for 30+ minutes can keep me on task for ages...The best part about the music is that when the lyrics do kick in, they kind of break me out of my hyperfocus and bring me back to reality...kind of an automatic break from whatever work I happen to be doing.

As far as classical music is concerned, I find that I can't at all focus on work when I'm listening to it. I'm a classically trained violinist (have played for 19 of my 23 years) so that when I listen to symphonies and whatnot I find myself focusing more on the music than on the task at hand. I also play guitar though, and this simply doesn't happen with the other music that I listen to...strange...

-Scott
Old 10-04-04, 01:58 PM
Jr Member

Levyii is on a distinguished road
i agree with the hyperfocusing with the music! i work retail and have to be at the store for 5am because i am a merchandiser. i bought an ipod earlier this year and just pop my headphones in and away i go. i get so much work done in the morning while listening to my music its great!!

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is infinite. This is a very comforting thought -- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things.