ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-04, 04:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I have so many versions of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor! I fell in love with this piece as a kid and couldn't stop! Anything by Bach on harpsichord was my first love when I was a kid. I would sit still for that at any time or place.

Keith how many times have you seen Jurassic Park?

fasttalkingmom - If it's dishes or house work of any kind it has to be raw. Johnny Winter's album "Third Degree" is good enough to scrape any dirt anywhere.

Otmar Liebert is brand new to me. I'll have to have a listen

Side two of David Bowie's "Low" album is my ultimate in mellow.

Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations are calming.

I play guitar and sing almost every day. It's cathartic. Since starting meds this past year I've actually been able to play with others and not get lost too badly. I play some bluegrass tunes and lots of what Paul describes. John Prine is a favourite. Lyrically I've recently fallen for an American singer song writer named Greg Trooper. I saw him touring with John Prine a few years ago. He appeals to me as a very honest writer.

What comes out of me naturally is pretty lowball blues. I've often been ashamed that music for me is so base but I've gotten over it and now just flail away and enjoy the ride.

I'd like more classical music in my life. I often listen to classics on CBC Radio 2 in the afternoon here in Canada but I never make notes of who what and where so never buy anything to feed my interest. I'd like some nocturns... single, quartet or small orchestra.

My feeling are hooked into music in big ways. My brothers used to deem it unfair for me to be playing ping pong if I got to choose the music. I was unbeatable with the right tunes....eheh

When I want to wallow I grab some Tom Waits. When I want to cry I put on some Ferron. For laughter I use Prine's songs. I have eclectic taste in music and once fancied myself a programmer but they wouldn't give me my own show.. oh the ego! lol

I had been stuck in a rut for nearly 15 years where my interest in music lay dormant. It's feeling very good to find my musical taste rushing back in behind the meds.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 10-04-04, 04:27 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Ottmar Liebert does flamenco guitar. Cool stuff! Gypsy Kings, Jesse Cook, Carlos Santana, etc. That's one category of music I enjoy for getting the feet tapping.
Old 10-04-04, 07:02 PM

Jack Johnson's disc "On and On" makes me feel pretty confident. I work well with his music. That was this afternoon's treat.

Ottmar sounds like a score to be made. Jesse Cook (I'll go peek) isn't familiar to me but Santana and the Gypsy Kings are. Our youngest insists on having the GK's on when she's out with Mum. Mum is not a GK kind of gal. ehhe

I can't sit still when the GK's are on. We all like to move here..
notweldedatthehip

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-04, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Prairiewind is on a distinguished road
Cool

For cleaning house I prefer the fast beat of hard rock or blues. I work on a computer at work so it's very, very good that I can plug in a CD to focus on what I'm doing  anything by Enya works really well. Also movie sound tracks depending, such as Lawrence of Arabia, Mission Impossible 2, Return To Me and others. Vivaldi's Four Seasons keeps me motivated and energetic at the computer or at home, especially if it's raining outside! Gregorian chant is also very focus-worthy. I think if you prefer wordy music it might be preferable to listen to stuff you've heard a thousand times so you can enjoy & ignore at the same time.
Old 10-05-04, 10:26 AM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
Ottmar Liebert does flamenco guitar. Cool stuff! Gypsy Kings, Jesse Cook, Carlos Santana, etc. That's one category of music I enjoy for getting the feet tapping.
Liebert is marvelous GK's.....oh, I forgot those! Great music for doing distasteful things!
Old 10-05-04, 02:04 PM

Thanked 6,421 Times in 4,675 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Hi,

Spent an hour in bliss today ... try out www.ejazz.fm ... click on The Blue Room ... for an hour of pure pleasure. BTW Jill Scott - Gettin in the way_The Smiths-How soon is now_Pixies-This monkey's flying to heaven_Van Morrisson-Astral Weeks/Moondance albums_Suzanne Vega-Left of Centre_Cocteau Twins-Victoria/Treasure albums_Sophie B.Hawkins-Damn,I wish I was your lover,Desiree-Feel so high ....to name but a few :-)
Anyone tried out a mind machine with audiostrobe music discs? So calming...............

SB.
Old 10-06-04, 03:09 PM

Thanked 6,421 Times in 4,675 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Hi Rhapsody,

'Have I told you lately' perhaps..by Van 'The man' Morrison.
A very wise choice :-)

SB.
Old 10-07-04, 01:37 AM

Van is another one that helps put me in a very good place. Calm, happy, confident. Back On Top, Hymns to the Silence... yummers. I played Johnson's On and On all day today. Can't get enough.
ian

Old 10-07-04, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK
Hi Rhapsody,

'Have I told you lately' perhaps..by Van 'The man' Morrison.
A very wise choice :-)

SB.
SB......I love that song!, and Van Morrison is a wonderful musician in his genre.
Old 10-08-04, 07:08 PM

Vanessa6959 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
Liebert is marvelous GK's.....oh, I forgot those! Great music for doing distasteful things!
gk's are definetly good for busywork, I've found that andrea bocelli is good for the same. does anyone else listen to him? ive heard a few of his new tracks from 'classics' thats comming out on nov. 9th and they sound pretty good. heres a clip if anyone who hasnt heard of him is interested Take care,
-Vanessa

http://exodus.interoutemediaservices...9-77E56E828709
Old 10-09-04, 04:52 AM

Talking

Bocelli??????????HUH?????? The guy can't sing for nuts.....try.....um.......one of the others . Bocelli very successfully stuffed up Verdi's Requiem, which is a pre-requisite for any good tenor. I personally don't think you can beat any of the three Tenors.....each are different.....but all are excellent. Corelli is another good one, as is Cura.

Vanessa whatever floats your boat.....but listen to Bocelli sing something and then immediately listen to another famous tenor sing the same piece.

I'm out of here
Old 10-09-04, 04:57 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa6959
gk's are definetly good for busywork, I've found that andrea bocelli is good for the same. does anyone else listen to him? ive heard a few of his new tracks from 'classics' thats comming out on nov. 9th and they sound pretty good. heres a clip if anyone who hasnt heard of him is interested Take care,
-Vanessa

http://exodus.interoutemediaservices...9-77E56E828709
I went and listened. I see what you're getting at. Bocelli has done a back flip back to his original style.

There was a joke a few years back that all singers under contract at LA opera were to be fired and replaced by Bocelli and Brightman,........all singers were further notified that this was an April fool's joke.....
Old 10-09-04, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewind
For cleaning house I prefer the fast beat of hard rock or blues. I work on a computer at work so it's very, very good that I can plug in a CD to focus on what I'm doing  anything by Enya works really well. Also movie sound tracks depending, such as Lawrence of Arabia, Mission Impossible 2, Return To Me and others. Vivaldi's Four Seasons keeps me motivated and energetic at the computer or at home, especially if it's raining outside! Gregorian chant is also very focus-worthy. I think if you prefer wordy music it might be preferable to listen to stuff you've heard a thousand times so you can enjoy & ignore at the same time.
Gregorian Chant is beautiful! The Spanish ones are very interesting. I used to like Enya, but I went off it. Four seasons are what I class as a happy medium; not too upbeat and loud, and not too slow.

I love the soundtrack to the movie "Schindler's List".
Old 10-10-04, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

MovingOn is on a distinguished road
Okay at the risk of sounding musically illiterate, I'm going to say it, the vast majority of classical music either bores me to tears or frustrates me literally out of my mind! As does country music!

Latin & jazz are my usual musical drugs of choice.

Except for the time I drove by myself cross country for 5 days straight listening to the same Tears for Fears CD. Something in the basic rhythm...so calming...not unlike Jeff Porcaro's drumming. (I turned it off for 30 minutes to look for a weather report in Idaho and was starting to come unglued by the time I finally could turn it back on.) Don't think this had anything to do w/ADD, rather I discovered a fear of wide open spaces once I got west of the Mississippi. There is so much NOTHING on the other side!
Old 10-11-04, 12:13 AM

velvetcactus is on a distinguished road
My thirsty ears like everything from michael buble to bare naked ladies, aerosmith to anya, zamfir to zz. top.
Music, for whatever reason, acts as a catalyst that causes our brains to make better use of glucose and as a result, allows us to concentrate better.
I must allow for one exception-Celine Dion causes me to switch radio stations to keep aggravation leves way down.