ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-17, 06:23 PM
kbar0508 kbar0508 is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: MI
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kbar0508 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

I have recently left home for college. I haven't been to my doctor in a while because it's hard to set up an appointment that fits in while I'm home.

I feel like I have been growing in tolerance of my prescription. I was prescribed 20 mg Adderall IR

I don't know if it's effects are as effective as they were originally.

I don't want to take Adderall forever because some things I read about it really freaked me out, and I think I'm becoming dependent on it.

I used to take it only on weekdays during high school, but that was when I had a more solid schedule to keep me on track. With the move and trying to make new friends in a new place and staying on top of homework and also trying to be a good roommate by not leaving a mess everywhere all over my room and actually doing laundry, and remembering to eat on top of all of that is a lot harder for me than I thought it would be. I sometimes even take one over the weekend because there is so much I need to get done, and even though I don't think it has the same affect anymore, I believe it still gives me a little help seeing as I have noticed that when I don't take it, I don't get ANYTHING done. No homework, no studying, just fog.

I take my prescription about 10 am after my first class, and it lasts about to my last class most days, but then I have a ton of studying and homework to get done. My day doesn't end at 2 pm.

I have occasionally (it's getting to be more often) will take another half a pill to a full pill when my first one wears off.

Is this really bad? Am I abusing my prescription? Should I talk to my doctor?

When things settle down a bit for me here, and I get into more of a routine, I plan on going to therapy, and trying to take my prescription less. Like I said, I feel like I am pretty dependent on it, but I am terrified of being dependent for life. I really don't want to do that, and I'm scared that's the road I'm going down, but I can't just stop taking it right now.

I also feel like I am doing a bad thing by taking more than my prescription even though I still use about the monthly allowance since I get 30 pills and I don't always take them on the weekend, and I'm taking about a half of a pill extra every other day...

I think I should talk to my doctor about upping my prescription, but I don't exactly know how to do that, or if I even should.

I don't get a high from it at all (no euphoria or whatever), and I can barely tell that I'm using it, it's just that I know that I get more done and can more easily focus when I'm on it, than when I'm not if that makes sense.

Sorry for the rant I'm just stressed and freaking out a little.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-11-17, 06:52 PM
namazu's Avatar
namazu namazu is online now
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 12,327
Thanks: 58,818
Thanked 18,148 Times in 8,923 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

Yes, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor. You don't want to get into a habit of increasing your dose on your own and without your doctor's knowledge. But I think you can tell the doc pretty much exactly what you said here: When you take your prescribed dose at 10AM, it lasts you through classes, but then you have homework and life to deal with after that.

For what it's worth, it's very common for people (especially people taking IR meds) to find that the morning dose doesn't last all day. Some docs will prescribe a short-acting "booster" dose to help cover the late afternoon/evening hours.

I also recommend working in some exercise and an activity that doesn't require heavy thinking in the middle of the day (and again later, if possible). Getting in some time/activity to clear your head and get your blood flowing can really help. The exercise can be as simple as going for a brisk walk across campus, or spending some time at the gym if that's your style.

Best wishes!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-17, 09:49 AM
Swissy Swissy is online now
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Usa
Posts: 219
Thanks: 60
Thanked 169 Times in 108 Posts
Swissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really niceSwissy is just really nice
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

IR is usually prescribed 2-3 times/ day to cover the average length of a work day for an adult. Coming from a working mom with a very hectic schedule, I have learned that splitting my IR in half to take every 2-3 hours gives me the best results.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-12-17)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 10-12-17, 12:15 PM
nanajoy nanajoy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: US
Posts: 43
Thanks: 20
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
nanajoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

It is always a good idea to keep an open communication with your doc. Do you have an online messaging system like my chart or follow my health? If so, send your doc a message. (Leave out the freaking out part Maybe you need an XR form? Maybe a dose tweak? Also, try taking adder all holidays when you have days off or are not studying on weekends. That helps many.
Also, is your prescription from a different maker? I feel NOTHING except headaches from prasco and impair helps me focus and be productive. Take a look at that, too.
Best to you and enjoy college.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanajoy For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-12-17)
  #5  
Old 10-14-17, 05:51 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 24,699
Thanks: 5,537
Thanked 28,939 Times in 13,093 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

Talking to your doctor is always the best solution and best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbar0508 View Post
I don't want to take Adderall forever because some things I read about it really freaked me out, and I think I'm becoming dependent on it.
What freaked you out? Whats wrong with being dependent on it? I am dependent on my bipolar meds, my bp meds and my night vision glasses.

Quote:
I used to take it only on weekdays during high school, but that was when I had a more solid schedule to keep me on track. With the move and trying to make new friends in a new place and staying on top of homework and also trying to be a good roommate by not leaving a mess everywhere all over my room and actually doing laundry, and remembering to eat on top of all of that is a lot harder for me than I thought it would be. I sometimes even take one over the weekend because there is so much I need to get done, and even though I don't think it has the same affect anymore, I believe it still gives me a little help seeing as I have noticed that when I don't take it, I don't get ANYTHING done. No homework, no studying, just fog.
Unless your bottle says something else, mine says "take 1 three times a day". Does your bottle say to only take it m-f or as needed?

Quote:
I take my prescription about 10 am after my first class, and it lasts about to my last class most days, but then I have a ton of studying and homework to get done. My day doesn't end at 2 pm.

I have occasionally (it's getting to be more often) will take another half a pill to a full pill when my first one wears off.
You are taking IR right? That only lasts 4 hours so of course you will need more medicine. If you were getting more than 4 hours of coverage out of your IR than you were lucky but thats not usually the case.

Quote:
Is this really bad? Am I abusing my prescription? Should I talk to my doctor?
If you want to get super technical, yes its against your prescription's directions but I dont see it as abuse. You should always follow your doctor's directions but you are on a low ir dose that isnt supposed to last all day. Talk to your doctor.

Quote:
When things settle down a bit for me here, and I get into more of a routine, I plan on going to therapy, and trying to take my prescription less. Like I said, I feel like I am pretty dependent on it, but I am terrified of being dependent for life. I really don't want to do that, and I'm scared that's the road I'm going down, but I can't just stop taking it right now.
Therapy can be awesome for psychological issues but as treatment for adhd instead of medication I think you would be wasting your time.

Quote:
I also feel like I am doing a bad thing by taking more than my prescription even though I still use about the monthly allowance since I get 30 pills and I don't always take them on the weekend, and I'm taking about a half of a pill extra every other day...

I think I should talk to my doctor about upping my prescription, but I don't exactly know how to do that, or if I even should.

I don't get a high from it at all (no euphoria or whatever), and I can barely tell that I'm using it, it's just that I know that I get more done and can more easily focus when I'm on it, than when I'm not if that makes sense.

Sorry for the rant I'm just stressed and freaking out a little.
The answer is see your doc asap. You need more coverage and you should be taking it on the weekends unless your adhd goes away on the weekends.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-17, 11:27 AM
nanajoy nanajoy is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: US
Posts: 43
Thanks: 20
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
nanajoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

THIS! "you should be taking it on the weekends unless your adhd goes away on the weekends" I would LOVE to say this to a few people. My daughter thinks this about her daughter. She only takes her meds during the school week, never on weekends or summers. She is an articulate, pleasant, friendly child while on her meds. I mean the difference is incredible. When not on her meds, she is a social deviant with no friends. She can clear a football stadium in 10 seconds flat when she screams in a meltdown. This happens constantly on weekends and during the summer. Breaks my heart! "you should be taking it on the weekends unless your adhd goes away on the weekends" are definitely words of wisdom!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-17, 11:56 AM
Never ends Never ends is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 47
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Never ends will become famous soon enough
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

Yep, never take a break, it will **** with your head, and I’m a miserable deadbeat if I don’t take mine, it sucks to think about but it’s sucks being lazy and having to push yourself 24/7, especially with my job and lifestyle, it’s a lot easier now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-17, 10:54 PM
CharlesH CharlesH is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 94
Thanks: 13
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
CharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the rough
Re: Should I Talk to my Doctor About my Prescription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbar0508 View Post
I have recently left home for college. I haven't been to my doctor in a while because it's hard to set up an appointment that fits in while I'm home.

I feel like I have been growing in tolerance of my prescription. I was prescribed 20 mg Adderall IR

I don't know if it's effects are as effective as they were originally.

I don't want to take Adderall forever because some things I read about it really freaked me out, and I think I'm becoming dependent on it.

I used to take it only on weekdays during high school, but that was when I had a more solid schedule to keep me on track. With the move and trying to make new friends in a new place and staying on top of homework and also trying to be a good roommate by not leaving a mess everywhere all over my room and actually doing laundry, and remembering to eat on top of all of that is a lot harder for me than I thought it would be. I sometimes even take one over the weekend because there is so much I need to get done, and even though I don't think it has the same affect anymore, I believe it still gives me a little help seeing as I have noticed that when I don't take it, I don't get ANYTHING done. No homework, no studying, just fog.

I take my prescription about 10 am after my first class, and it lasts about to my last class most days, but then I have a ton of studying and homework to get done. My day doesn't end at 2 pm.

I have occasionally (it's getting to be more often) will take another half a pill to a full pill when my first one wears off.

Is this really bad? Am I abusing my prescription? Should I talk to my doctor?

When things settle down a bit for me here, and I get into more of a routine, I plan on going to therapy, and trying to take my prescription less. Like I said, I feel like I am pretty dependent on it, but I am terrified of being dependent for life. I really don't want to do that, and I'm scared that's the road I'm going down, but I can't just stop taking it right now.

I also feel like I am doing a bad thing by taking more than my prescription even though I still use about the monthly allowance since I get 30 pills and I don't always take them on the weekend, and I'm taking about a half of a pill extra every other day...

I think I should talk to my doctor about upping my prescription, but I don't exactly know how to do that, or if I even should.

I don't get a high from it at all (no euphoria or whatever), and I can barely tell that I'm using it, it's just that I know that I get more done and can more easily focus when I'm on it, than when I'm not if that makes sense.

Sorry for the rant I'm just stressed and freaking out a little.
Technically, you shouldn't exceed your daily dose, but taking an extra 10 mg probably wouldn't be considered the most scandalous thing in the world of psychiatry. If you don't want to put your doctor in a potential pickle by saying that you did this, then just describe generally how you suspect that 20 mg isn't enough. That's not a high dose, so it shouldn't be an issue to increase it. Your time in college is precious, and you can call your doctor's office in between appointments. Does your college have a health center that can prescribe stimulants? You have documentation of your condition and your years of responsible use of Adderall, so my guess is that a college health center would be willing to prescribe it for you. They might want permission to communicate with your doctor to share and confirm information.

The research shows that amphetamine addiction occurs when people don't use it in a medically appropriate manner. They abuse it to get euphoria. Obviously, this is not what you're engaging in. It's your doctor's duty to monitor whether you're in danger of addiction/abuse; just be honest, and if your doctor doesn't seem concerned for you, then you probably don't need to worry about getting accidentally addicted.

ADHD is commonly a lifelong condition, and the medicine doesn't permanently cure it. It might help to think of it as being similar to how type 1 diabetics have to take insulin for the rest of their lives. There is often a grief process surrounding this, so don't feel silly if you're going through this.

Your post reminds me of myself in many ways. Feel free to PM me if you want. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prescription drug addiction causing crime increase Tara ADD News 0 10-14-04 01:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums