ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-17, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,830 Times in 2,831 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Starting projects with no real aim or purpose

Quite often I find myself starting projects for no real reason at all, other than the fact that it has grabbed my attention right now. I can even be so focused on a particular project for days, sometimes weeks. But there is no real end goal or purpose behind what i'm doing. By the time I get fed up with the project, I end up erasing most traces of the work i've done on it. Then the same thing will happen again with a new project. Sometimes I go back to being interested in previous projects, but I have to start them again from scratch as a result of erasing everything when my interest was lost the last time I did it.

These projects must take up about 80% of my waking life. 15% is spent frantically looking around for misplaced items that I need for my project. 4% for eating/drinking and I suppose the last 1% is spent on attempting to tidy something up.

It's so frustrating. I keep asking myself why it has to be this way. If this type of lifestyle pains me so much, why can I never seem to break myself free from it? It's like i'm forever trapped in a cycle of pointless projects that will never really get me anywhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-05-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-06-17), ToneTone (10-05-17)
Old 10-05-17, 06:34 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,721 Times in 9,269 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Starting projects with no real aim or purpose

Could you give an example?

Is it really that the projects have no aim or purpose, or just that you never manage to realize the aim, and all the work you've done is (or seems) for naught?

I can definitely relate to the feeling of starting projects, but not finishing them, and thus having invested (wasted?) a ton of time with nothing concrete to show for it. (Often generating a mess in the process.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-05-17), stef (10-06-17)
Old 10-05-17, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,830 Times in 2,831 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Could you give an example?

Is it really that the projects have no aim or purpose, or just that you never manage to realize the aim, and all the work you've done is (or seems) for naught?

I can definitely relate to the feeling of starting projects, but not finishing them, and thus having invested (wasted?) a ton of time with nothing concrete to show for it. (Often generating a mess in the process.)
It can involve anything really. Quite often it's collecting stuff, or creating stuff, but its usually just a load of worthless rubbish that seems valuable to me at the time. Once I lose interest, everything I put together or collected begins to deteriorate, because I just forget all about it and it rots away in a corner somewhere.

The result? A home full of junk piles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-05-17), stef (10-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 10:36 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,721 Times in 9,269 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
The result? A home full of junk piles.
Our house currently has 2 spare bedrooms.

We refer to one of these as "the fabric bedroom", for it has rolls of miscellaneous upholstery fabric and assorted dissassmbled furniture I'd intended to reupholster. In this room, it is usually possible to get to the bed.

We refer to the other as "the bathroom bedroom", for it contains assorted faucets, cabinet hardware, oak drawers I bought second-hand, and piles of assorted lumber and salvaged teak from boats that I was (am still?) planning to turn into a bathroom cabinet unit for the bathroom we're been planning to remodel since the plumbing burst in the wall...8 years ago. This room is completely unlivable.

...Not to mention the pedestal sink standing in the living room next to the bookcase!

Then there's the copper-pipe art trellis half-soldered in the garage, and the cedar branches salvaged from the yard that I'm going to do...something...with...and...

You get the idea.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-05-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-08-17), stef (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 01:11 AM

ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough

I also start a lot of projects just because I am curious about them, hyperfocus on them for a bit, and then abandon them.

The difference is I do have a purpose in mind for them. I will make this game, release it and make money. I will learn how to knit and make myself awesome warm socks for winter!

I also don't erase all traces of them, I just decide to work on them "later". The game sits in a remote repository. The half-finished sock sits in a drawer.

I'm sure I'll get to them at some point. It's only been a few months since I last touched them, after all
Fraser_0762 (10-06-17), namazu (10-06-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-06-17), stef (10-06-17)
Old 10-08-17, 06:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,551 Times in 13,426 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have odds and ends in assorted places around my house for "those times when someone will need them". Example- I had two empty, sterile unused blood tubes that you would use getting your blood drawn. (I plead the fifth on how I got them). Just last night I had my daughter fill them with fake blood to take to the haunted house she works at for the mad scientist. If you need it I probably have it in my house, car or purse.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-08-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 12:00 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

I often start study projects that have no real goal other than satisfying my own fascination. In my case, my projects usually involve studying everything I can find about some obscure topic that I know will never be of any real practical use to me.

I've always been interested in languages, so I decided to study several ancient ones such as Old Babylonian and Sumerian. So I bought a bunch of expensive grammars and dictionaries of these long dead languages and spent a few months trying to learn them. I only got part way through these grammars before my interest got captured by something new. I later came back again to studying these languages, but had to start at the beginning again since I had forgotten what I studied before. I'm not sure what I would ever do with these languages even if I ever learned them.

I also have, for example (and there are many others), a whole shelf full of books on the history of Ancient Egypt (another study project of mine) and a shelf full of books on the history of medieval and early modern France (another study project of mine). Of course, very few of these books have ever been finished. When I start reading a book, I usually end up getting interested in a new one long before I ever finish reading the old one and within a month or two, I've usually forgotten a lot of what I read anyway. And what would I ever do with my knowledge of Ancient Egypt or medieval France if I ever managed to finish the books I bought on those subjects or remember what I read in them?
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-08-17), namazu (10-08-17), stef (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 12:45 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,372 Times in 756 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I start projects in my head and will do a lot online research but because I procrastinate SO much that by the time I get around to buying the supplies, I am over the rush and excitement of it.

Fraser, at least you have more follow through than me in that you actually get the supplies which to me is a positive.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-08-17), stef (10-08-17)