ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 10-06-17, 07:40 AM

allangau is on a distinguished road
How many years on meds ?

Hello everybody i write this post because i would say that im a little bit scared of the fact that i took methylphenidate and adderall for 13 year in a row (6 year old to 20) now im 25 years old and im scared of getting a neurodenerative disease like parkinson or something like that so i was wondering how many of you took adhd drug for more than 10 years in a row in your life ? What was your starting age ? and at which age did you stop taking them ? And how old are you right now ? I think about that fact every day and its killing me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allangau For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), PoppnNSailinMan (10-10-17)
Old 10-06-17, 11:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 5,389 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many years on meds ?

Started at 41, am 48 now, no issues.

I had a friend who took 90mg of Dexedrine per day from age 17 until age 60...no issues...and I knew her from age 50 to age 60.

As psychiatric medications go, these are some of the oldest, most studied, and statistically safe medications known.

Cheers,
Ian
Hyperman87 (10-17-17)
Old 10-06-17, 01:29 PM

Cadams2140 is on a distinguished road

Vyvance - 4 years
Adderal XR - 2 Years
The Following User Says Thank You to Cadams2140 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (10-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-17, 06:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,939 Times in 13,093 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Started in my early 20's like 23, still on adderall and In a 42.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 01:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

About 8 years as a child & 6 as an adult. It was broken up like from 8 to 15 & then from 23 to my current age. Dexedrine for 5 or 6 years & now Vyvanse for about 6.
aeon (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,080 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

On Wellbutrin XL for 12 years.

For 9 1/2 years I've been on Adderall XR ... then Concerta ... then Vyvanse .. then back to Adderall XR.

You know, my brother had severe and untreated ADHD, and he didn't get old enough to have Parkinson's ... Life overwhelmed him and he had a stroke at 64. ADHD can be really dangerous ... it undermines the ability take care of yourself ...

I think I saw the study you are referring to ... that found that people who used amphetamines had a higher risk of Parkinson's ... You have to be careful about those studies ... Parkinson's affects about 1 percent of people over 60 and 5 percent over 85 ... The increased risk found by one study would still mean a low rate of risk ... Aging is the main risk factor.

I say use the drugs to get your life really on a great track. Like fantastic! ... But don't give up because of a rare monster way way off in the distance.

Especially when you have that nasty, multiple-limbed ADHD monster messing with you every day.

Tone