ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-17-18, 03:13 PM

TracedOrDun is on a distinguished road
Cannot get Adderall prescription even with legitimate need for it

Hello this might be slightly off-topic for these forums if so I apologize.

My quick life story -

Childhood seemed fairly normal activity wise as a kid (1st-8th grade). If anything I was probably hyperactive and I was not a great student. Goofed around in class a lot and outside of class I was always pretty active. Not sure this is indicative of anything as I certainly wasn't the only kid in class who goofed around. Never failed a class or a grade or anything, just not an average student who never wanted to study but was always hyperactive.

~9th-10th grade hits. I become extremely lethargic and fatigued on a daily basis. I add on tons and tons of weight. I have no energy, no motivation. Daily headaches, dizziness. Become very depressed because of how bad I feel plus self-conscious about my weight. When everyone else would go out for lunch, I would go to the library and find a cubicle and fall asleep for 30 minutes, almost every day. I limp through high school but graduate. Poor grades.

Age 18-24. Pattern continues and worsens. I go from working full time to not being able to work at all. I go from taking full time college courses to one or two a semester to dropping out. Extremely tired all the time. Headaches, dizziness, very obese, very depressed.

Age 25. I come to the obvious conclusion along with my doctors that my weight is causing me to feel this way. Whether it be my diet, no activity, a side effect of obesity (ie sleep apnea), or my severe depression it all goes back to my weight. I decide to go on a serious diet plan because I cannot continue to live the way I feel.

Age 25-30. At 25 I weighed 425 pounds but now 175. Yet at no point was I ever feeling better. None of my symptoms had gone away over those six years, if anything I may actually feel worse. I start going to my primary care doctor looking for answers. We test for anything under the sun that would make sense. Sleep apnea, bloodwork drawn for anything you can think of, various different medications (mostly anti-depressants), and tons of other stuff. I get a brain MRI ordered, MRI shows a condition called Chiari Malformation Type 1. Chiari is linked to basically most if not all of the symptoms I'm experiencing, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, tinnitus, neck pain, and other things. I go see surgeon and he says my Chiari is quite bad and recommends what is essentially brain surgery to help alleviate the problem.

Age 31. I have surgery. It has been 8 months since my surgery. None of my symptoms feel better. Doctors say it can take 6 to 12 months to feel any improvements, maybe even longer. Follow up MRI shows my chiari is drastically improved. Doctor says he is surprised I don't have any improvements, but says more time might help.

Surgeon and neurologist both specifically state that they aren't sure the surgery would help with my fatigue. They aren't convinced it's a symptom of the chiari. The headaches, dizziness, tinnitus, etc. yes for sure.. but the fatigue they say could be something else.

I start looking at other people with Chiari, many of whom have fatigue symptoms and express they feel the same way I do. Multiple say the only thing that has ever helped them is adderall. This begins my quest to try adderall and see if it will help.

- I go to my PCP and he says no, absolutely not.
- I go to my neurologist and he says he is strongly against ever prescribing something like adderall
- I go back to my PCP and ask him what choices do I have, he says I never completed my narcolepsy test and that would be a good start.
- I get tested for narcolepsy, doctor says I might be slightly above average in terms of how fast I fall asleep during day time but nothing to officially diagnose me with it. Doctor says I should see a psychiatrist about maybe getting a stimulant.
At this point I'm sick of getting the runaround from doctors and I want to see if adderall will even help me. I get some from my friend, I start with half of a pill (15mg) and I feel like I got my life back. My fatigue was gone for the day, surprisingly headache and dizzy free. The most energy and mental clarity I have felt in my entire adult life.
- PCP tells me if a psychiatrist orders a stimulant he's fully on board with me trying it but won't prescribe it himself.
- I first see a therapist for ~1.5 months then finally see the psychiatrist. Psychiatrist basically tells me to F off. Said they will never prescribe any stimulant off label, it's only for ADD use.

That's where I'm at now, and very discouraged. I have a rainy day stash of a few pills from my friend that I occasionally take (once a week or less) when I really want to get something done. My friend cannot be my supplier though. I haven't told any of my doctors that I tried it and it works, should I? Where would you guys go from here? Should I find a new PCP? A new psychiatrist? An entirely new health network? I just don't know what to do or even how to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to TracedOrDun For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-17-18)
Old 08-17-18, 05:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cannot get Adderall prescription even with legitimate need for it

See if they’ll prescribe provigil for your sleep apnea? Insurance might not cover it though. Trying a different network might help

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
Old 08-17-18, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Have you ever had symptoms of ADHD other than the hyperactive behavior and "goofing around" rather than studying? Unless you know that someone with Chiari Type I was prescribed Adderall JUST for that, it seems likely that any doctor would do that.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-18, 02:28 PM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light

Why don’t you try visiting the doctor who prescribed your friend?