ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-15-11, 10:35 AM
Jr Member

jbforpc is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse issues

I switched (2 weeks ago) to Vyvanse 50mg after 9 months on Adderall IR 25-35 mg a day. Like most of the ADD meds I have been on before Adderall IR became Less and less effective and just quit working. They always seem so promising, then they stop. In the past 2 years I have been on Ritalin IR, Concerta, Staterra, and Adderall IR

Here are the issues / problems I am having with Vyvanse.

Takes over 2.5 hours to EVEN start to work, let alone be effective.

GI problems. I have IBS slow moving tract and GERD, and Vyvanse has irritated them. Not a huge deal, just very annoying.

Fibromyalgia. It was mostly gone but... Vyvanse seems to have some effect on the pain, again nothing to too serious just annoying.

Motivation on Vyvanse is NOT as good as it has been on other ADD meds
(this is one of my biggest issues with my Adult ADD, if not on ADD meds or they stop working, I am a bump on a log, I will just sit and do nothing, NO I am not in a depression or depressed, just no motivation. You could offer me a million bucks and I might not be motivated to take the effort and time to come and pick it up...lol. Then my anxiety goes nuts because I have no motivation to do anything and get mad, frustrating because I RELAY want to live a normal PRODUCTIVE life and ADD and anxiety has robbed me of so much!!!!)

Duration. After 6 effective hours ( it 2 hours to kick in) Vyvanse starts to wind down and When it stops working effectively, It makes me crash HARD, I feel bit strange and exhausted, I am starving so I eat, then I HAVE to lie down for an hour or so nap. Then I wake and my body feels tired but my Brain is a little wired. Then the rest of the night is kinda strange feeling at times. DR and Sire says it last 12 or more hours, but not in my case.

WHAT I DO LIKE ABOUT Vyvanse

With the 6 effective hours I have with Vyvanse , I am very calm, I can focus, NO or very little anxiety issues. (I have GAD and Panicky Disorder)

It has a very smooth method of action, not wired at all. Only 1 or 2 minor peaks and valleys.

Compared to the other ADD meds I would rate it better than others. (Straterra was the BEST ever, but stopped working, we tried different doses, techniques, revisited it several times, but it wont work)

Other Thoughts

I have a suspicion that with my GI issues contribute to Vyvanse taking a long time to work and the it only last 6 hours or so. Since it is processed in the small bowel for the active drug to work my GI issues might be to blame.

I called my P-Doc practice. DR and it will take probably a couple of days to get a call back and a few more to get in to see her or him, they are supper busy, takes must be a good business to be in.

MY QUESTIONS for the community
Anyone have similar issues?
Any tips to help make Vyvanse work better?
Would a Stronger dose of Vyvanse help, I am on 50mg right now.
Would just regular Dextroamphetamine IR work for me, any experience with IR vs Vyvanse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbforpc For This Useful Post:
425runner (04-25-12), Lizzie80 (02-25-14), Manoa (09-06-11)
Old 08-15-11, 11:58 AM

Bweber is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse issues

I've taken Vyvanse (70mg daily) for about 20 months now. I've found the same issue with GI issues (severe constipation in my case) and am thinking of trying other meds just for the sake of comparison.

Don't know if a stronger dose would help, but I am interested in the question of meds tapering off in their effects. The first four months I was on Vyvanse I was a productivity machine and thought I had found a kind of ADD nirvana. Then the effects seemed to taper off. However, I'm an independent contractor who always has more work than he can get done, so I can track my actual productivity pretty well by just looking at his accounting software. It doesn't look to me like my productivity actually declined much after those first four months, so I tend to think that it's not that the Vyvanse stopped working. Rather it's that I got used to the effect so it no longer feels like such a radical change. I've gone off of it for a week here and there and have also had days where I forget to take it (hard for me to remember that sort of thing). I usually notice a pretty marked difference when I'm off of it.

Ben
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bweber For This Useful Post:
Dawn6624 (08-20-11), jbforpc (08-20-11), Manoa (09-06-11), timaier (09-03-11)
Old 08-15-11, 05:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

Quite simply : amphetamine tolerance. You cannot expect to recieve the same effects at the same dosage for a prolonged ged period of time. Human body gets used to this substance fairly quickly, depending on metabolism. The options are to increase dose or therapy to cope with add symptoms.

Also supplements such as magnesium and l-tyrosine help slow down tolerance build up, a break from meds for at least a week also works but who has the kind of time to stare at a wall for a week lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Urgezz For This Useful Post:
425runner (04-25-12), Lizzie80 (06-22-15), Manoa (09-06-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-11, 06:37 PM
Jr Member

Pdoc up Vyvanse to 70mg.

It kicked in ALOT quicker than Vyvanse 50mg.

However it does still stop working after 6 hours or so , with a crash, tired, anxiety issues, etc.

GI issues are still present, no change at 70mg

It has been OK to maybe so so when it does work.

One day it did NOTHING for me...it was like I didn't even take it.....yikes, and yes I DID take it.

Then the next day it made my ADD even worse, I did not know it could get that bad.... what a horrible waste of a day on this wonderfully planet.

I still have a hunch that with my severe IBS, GERD, and history of pre cancerous polyps (not once, but 2 times so far and I am in my 30s, PLEASE GET A COLENOSCEPY IF YOU HAVE GI ISSUES, NO MATTER YOU AGE, that over 50 years old crap is not always true, too many young persons die from colrectal cancer, just google it, IT MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE)

Anyhows......Vyvanse might not be right for me.

I feel helpless at times, With severe ADD, GAD, Panick Attacks, Etc.... I find a med that works, then it stops, Try another, bad reaction, try another, ETC. ETC.

I am FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see pdoc in a few days, will see what they say...
Old 08-20-11, 07:46 PM
Jr Member

Dawn6624 is on a distinguished road

I have been on vyvansefor about 2 months. I have (in the beginning experienced Abd. pain, GI problems, ha's, back pain (when the drug wears off) bilateral eye pain (again when med.'s wear off. ) What I can tell you is, I am still playing with the dose. I am like you, I believe it only last for about 6 hours max... It also takes about an hour before I feel it kick in....Even though I have been told it is supposed to last up to 14 hours.... I also would say when it is in my system Iam calm/no anxiety/ can think straight and about one thing at a time.. When the drug is working it is wonderful... when it is not, when I "come down" I find myself w/ anxiety, hungry and restless... I was also sleeping better when I first started drug... Now I am back to my deep hard sleep, where I have a hard time getting up.

I am telling you this so you do not feel alone... I am going through it too.. and yes I am starting to have a hard time getting motivated to do things.. N I have 3 small children!!! It has entered my mind to just go back to the old ways... But I keep holding on to the benefits I have had so far.... I just want to find out what to do... I also go back to my doc. monday n we will talk...

Pls. let me know what your doc. says...
Old 08-21-11, 02:47 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn6624 View Post
I am telling you this so you do not feel alone... I am going through it too.. and yes I am starting to have a hard time getting motivated to do things.. N I have 3 small children!!!
The motivation thing is what bothers me the most about add. I want to do things, I want to work, I want to be normal functing adult.

I am NOT lazy, however some think I am. I was very concerned, thinking that it was depression or something else, but I never am "depressed" per say. Yes I do get a case of the blues every now and then, and it is almost always because I am upset with symptoms of ADD, Anxeity, Etc.

My Dr and others say that This is very normal with Add and Anxeity. And also so is the lack of or no motivation.

That is why I always say ADD not adhd....no hyperactiveness as an adult, but when I was a child, man I was like a tornado, hyper, hyper.

I, and others I know consider me very very smart, however no motivation and ADD means no degrees, I have started over a dozen college classes and have quit every single one, same with jobs and carrers. I just wonder what I could have done with my life if I did not have severe ADD and anxitey! I try not to get down on myself, but sometimes I do. I have a wonderfull wife and child, so that makes it all ok! I love them so much.

I always TRY to tell myself, Life Goes on.......And tommorow is a new day, and it might be better than the crappy ADD anxitey day I just wasted...lol
Old 08-21-11, 11:21 AM

cynwldkat is on a distinguished road

I've been on 30mg of Vyvanse for a couple of months now. More problems then good results for me. At first very anxious then that subsided and now I just feel spaced-out, tired and upset to my stomache. I did take an extra 15mg for a few days, total 45mg to see if that would help and it did a little but then it too stopped working. I am sad, depressed no energy, cranky and want to get off the Vyvanse but now I'm worried about the withdrawal and how long that will last. I suppose I could take 2 of my 30mg capsuls but then it would make it harder to quit and I have a lot going on in my life right now with our sons wedding in a couple of weeks and sure don't need more problems. I am 59 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD at the ripe old age of 16 years old. I took Dexedrine 5mg 3 times a day for years with no problems. Not sure what I should do. I would love to go back and talk to my Dr to get something different but it will cost me another $150.00 until I meet my deductable and honestly I don't have the extra money right now. I will see my Dr again in 2 months but until then I am really down about this so I am open to any good ideas.
Old 08-21-11, 08:42 PM

So tonight I burst into tears while talking to my sister on the phone. I just can't take this drug, Vyvanse anymore. Today is my last day. I not only feel sick from it but I'm so darn depressed and sad which I normally do not suffer from. My energy is zip and my ADHD is out of control again. Worse then before. Not sure how bad or for how long I'm goin gto feel like hell but I can't take this anymore. My daughter and her family are coming to visit for 2 weeks next week--I haven't seen them in over a year now and my husbands son is getting married in 2 weeks. A really bad time for all of this to happen but I don't know what else to do................very very sad...........:-(
Old 08-23-11, 01:04 AM
Jr Member

watermark0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbforpc View Post
I switched (2 weeks ago) to Vyvanse 50mg after 9 months on Adderall IR 25-35 mg a day. Like most of the ADD meds I have been on before Adderall IR became Less and less effective and just quit working. They always seem so promising, then they stop. In the past 2 years I have been on Ritalin IR, Concerta, Staterra, and Adderall IR

Here are the issues / problems I am having with Vyvanse.

Takes over 2.5 hours to EVEN start to work, let alone be effective.

GI problems. I have IBS slow moving tract and GERD, and Vyvanse has irritated them. Not a huge deal, just very annoying.

Fibromyalgia. It was mostly gone but... Vyvanse seems to have some effect on the pain, again nothing to too serious just annoying.

Motivation on Vyvanse is NOT as good as it has been on other ADD meds
(this is one of my biggest issues with my Adult ADD, if not on ADD meds or they stop working, I am a bump on a log, I will just sit and do nothing, NO I am not in a depression or depressed, just no motivation. You could offer me a million bucks and I might not be motivated to take the effort and time to come and pick it up...lol. Then my anxiety goes nuts because I have no motivation to do anything and get mad, frustrating because I RELAY want to live a normal PRODUCTIVE life and ADD and anxiety has robbed me of so much!!!!)

Duration. After 6 effective hours ( it 2 hours to kick in) Vyvanse starts to wind down and When it stops working effectively, It makes me crash HARD, I feel bit strange and exhausted, I am starving so I eat, then I HAVE to lie down for an hour or so nap. Then I wake and my body feels tired but my Brain is a little wired. Then the rest of the night is kinda strange feeling at times. DR and Sire says it last 12 or more hours, but not in my case.

WHAT I DO LIKE ABOUT Vyvanse

With the 6 effective hours I have with Vyvanse , I am very calm, I can focus, NO or very little anxiety issues. (I have GAD and Panicky Disorder)

It has a very smooth method of action, not wired at all. Only 1 or 2 minor peaks and valleys.

Compared to the other ADD meds I would rate it better than others. (Straterra was the BEST ever, but stopped working, we tried different doses, techniques, revisited it several times, but it wont work)

Other Thoughts

I have a suspicion that with my GI issues contribute to Vyvanse taking a long time to work and the it only last 6 hours or so. Since it is processed in the small bowel for the active drug to work my GI issues might be to blame.

I called my P-Doc practice. DR and it will take probably a couple of days to get a call back and a few more to get in to see her or him, they are supper busy, takes must be a good business to be in.

MY QUESTIONS for the community
Anyone have similar issues?
Any tips to help make Vyvanse work better?
Would a Stronger dose of Vyvanse help, I am on 50mg right now.
Would just regular Dextroamphetamine IR work for me, any experience with IR vs Vyvanse.
The maximum 70mg dose of Vyvanse is roughly equivalent to 30-40mg of Adderall. It may very well be that 50mg just isn't as much as is previously. Also, although Vyvanse is reputed to have a longer effect than Adderall XR, it actually has a larger peak earlier in the day.
Old 08-23-11, 09:31 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
So tonight I burst into tears while talking to my sister on the phone. I just can't take this drug, Vyvanse anymore. Today is my last day. I not only feel sick from it but I'm so darn depressed and sad which I normally do not suffer from. My energy is zip and my ADHD is out of control again. Worse then before. Not sure how bad or for how long I'm goin gto feel like hell but I can't take this anymore. My daughter and her family are coming to visit for 2 weeks next week--I haven't seen them in over a year now and my husbands son is getting married in 2 weeks. A really bad time for all of this to happen but I don't know what else to do................very very sad...........:-(
I have similar symptoms now with the Vyvanse, but no tears...yet.
Isnt funny that Our ADD or other issues and Rx issues always wait until we have something important going on in our lives.

I hope you have a nice visit with family and the wedding goes well.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbforpc For This Useful Post:
cynwldkat (08-25-11)
Old 08-23-11, 09:42 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
I not only feel sick from it but I'm so darn depressed and sad which I normally do not suffer from. My energy is zip and my ADHD is out of control again. Worse then before.
I am starting to think that when we are having Bad ADD or Rx sypmtoms it is common for us to feel depressed, sad, mad, have no energy or motivation.....even though we are NOT depressed or suffer from depresion.

This is why I think most Adults dont get diagnosed With ADD, Drs say if you feel this way it must be depression.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbforpc For This Useful Post:
cynwldkat (08-25-11)
Old 08-25-11, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbforpc View Post
I am starting to think that when we are having Bad ADD or Rx sypmtoms it is common for us to feel depressed, sad, mad, have no energy or motivation.....even though we are NOT depressed or suffer from depresion.

This is why I think most Adults dont get diagnosed With ADD, Drs say if you feel this way it must be depression.
So true. Sadly Dr.s seem to blame depression for many things only to find out later it was some other problem. My sister was suffering from Myasthenia Gravis and for 2 years her Dr's told her it was depression until she almost died!
I am much better now--had my perscription changed to Dededrine IR instand release. Course it cost $$ I didn't have but with all going on it was a choice I had to make. I can take up to 3x5mg a day but have found I am fine with 2 for now or even one worked yesterday. I just like the feeling of having more control over how much and what I put in my body. I know these last for so long and then they are done--about 4 hours. Sure there is a crash but I knew that and expect it. The Vyvanse has a weird crash for me. The Vyvanse works wonders for some but not me. I am much happier on the plain old Dex 5 mg!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cynwldkat For This Useful Post:
jbforpc (08-25-11), Lizzie80 (06-22-15)
Old 08-25-11, 06:14 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
I just like the feeling of having more control over how much and what I put in my body. I know these last for so long and then they are done--about 4 hours. Sure there is a crash but I knew that and expect it. The Vyvanse has a weird crash for me. The Vyvanse works wonders for some but not me. I am much happier on the plain old Dex 5 mg!!!
I feel the same exact way, also time realase meds usaly dosent work for me, I told Dr that before I was Rx VyVanse.....But I was willing to try since the adderall became inafective. They are the experts, starting to doubt that, and It seems they sincerly dont care, just PAY on the way out.....and get that NAME BRAND Rx filled that that Rx company Rep keeps stoping buy with lunch and who knows what else, wants me to push since the rest are all generics.
I am not saying this is the case, but makes you wonder.

Watch the movie LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS, its based on a true story by a Rx rep.
Old 03-23-13, 02:59 AM

So long chatter is on a distinguished road

I've been on vyvanse for about 4 months and have called it a "godsend". In addition to diagnosing me with ADHD an MDD, my psychiatrist told me to increase my Prozac from 20 to 40 mg/day and put me on Deplin, which is basically a megadose of methyl folate that allows the antidepressant to cross the blood brain barrier. I take Xanax as needed and Restoril sometimes for sleep. Lately I have been having a sensation in my left ear that I can only describe as "neuropathy.". I have ringing in that ear, increased confusion, vertigo, and lack of coordination. My doc thought I had an inner ear infection and started me on antibiotics, Flonase, etc with no improvement. The next week when I went back I was given a steroid shot to hasten the recovery period. This seemed to exacerbate the tingling, "falling asleep" feeling in my ear and made the vertigo almost worse. I haven't taken my vyvanse in 3 days and finally took a 20mg Prozac tonight because my headache was unbearable and I thought it might help. Instead I'm extremely dizzy again and wonder if it's the combo of these drugs causing all the trouble. It worked so well the first 4 months, I find it odd that all of a sudden I'm having such adverse reactions. If anyone has had any similar experience, id be delighted to know what you've done about it. Currently I'm trying to heal myself by stopping all meds, diet coke, caffeine, sugar (which I was consuming uncontrollably), lots of antioxidants and sleep, before going to a neurologist like my doctor recommends. Any suggestions?
Old 03-23-13, 06:11 AM

delaware13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by So long chatter View Post
I've been on vyvanse for about 4 months and have called it a "godsend". In addition to diagnosing me with ADHD an MDD, my psychiatrist told me to increase my Prozac from 20 to 40 mg/day and put me on Deplin, which is basically a megadose of methyl folate that allows the antidepressant to cross the blood brain barrier. I take Xanax as needed and Restoril sometimes for sleep. Lately I have been having a sensation in my left ear that I can only describe as "neuropathy.". I have ringing in that ear, increased confusion, vertigo, and lack of coordination. My doc thought I had an inner ear infection and started me on antibiotics, Flonase, etc with no improvement. The next week when I went back I was given a steroid shot to hasten the recovery period. This seemed to exacerbate the tingling, "falling asleep" feeling in my ear and made the vertigo almost worse. I haven't taken my vyvanse in 3 days and finally took a 20mg Prozac tonight because my headache was unbearable and I thought it might help. Instead I'm extremely dizzy again and wonder if it's the combo of these drugs causing all the trouble. It worked so well the first 4 months, I find it odd that all of a sudden I'm having such adverse reactions. If anyone has had any similar experience, id be delighted to know what you've done about it. Currently I'm trying to heal myself by stopping all meds, diet coke, caffeine, sugar (which I was consuming uncontrollably), lots of antioxidants and sleep, before going to a neurologist like my doctor recommends. Any suggestions?
Chatter, this thread has been almost inactive for 2 years. Even though you have a "vyvanse issue" too like the title of the thread you shouldn't bump old threads unless necessary. Bumping a thread is when you use the search function and find something very old that advice was given on and then you put your personal question in as a comment. You should have posted your own thread and with you being new, it won't be published right away until approved by an admin. It's ok i made this mistake a few times as well but read old threads generally 1-2 years inactive get your information, post in new threads to provide input, and make a thread for your own personal question you couldnt find info on