ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-13-08, 12:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

canukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the rough
Anyone tried Magnesium?

Our doc recently recommended trying magnesium supplements. It should be magnesium glycinate as it is more readily absorbed. My 11 yo does have symptoms of a deficiency but we couldn't get him to swallow the pill (that's another issue) but was wondering if anyone had any positive results with this. It seems to make a great deal of sense.

BTW we were told to start with 100mg at bed time and increase 50 mg at a time, with a split dose of morning and evening, as its not well stored in the body, but to be careful about diarreah.
Old 11-13-08, 05:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mooch is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tried Magnesium?

it helps a ton and seems to be cumulative.
maybe try sneaking it into his breakfast in the morning. it's water soluble so shouldnt be too hard.

i just have to keep remembering to take it is the key...
Old 11-13-08, 07:43 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough

Amazing, anyone who hasn't done this i highly recommend it, it really improved my concentration but i still lose it quite alot but not nearly as much. It also makes me feel alot calmer about things, really good. So anyone who hasn't should get some as it helps a ton.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-08, 07:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

canukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the rough

Can either poster tell me how much you take and what type? I dissolved one in water to see if it would work and wonder if its ok to do that.
Old 11-14-08, 12:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mooch is on a distinguished road

i have magnesium oxide and its something aournd 230mg i think?

helps my moodiness, consistancy, and focus a ton. though look out that it can increase the absorption of adderall/dexedrine.

the affects seem cumulative too, i can tell a difference in myself 2 weeks after taking it regularly. probably because it's restoring the amount that's supposed to be in your body to normal.

it should be fine to put it in water. the mg can't really be broken down into anything since it's a mineral and water is really unlikely to change how anything is absorbed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mooch For This Useful Post:
canukie (11-15-08)
Old 11-28-08, 01:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

lychweake will become famous soon enough

YES it works for me as well only after reading a post on how to prevent an Adderall crash..well this stuff is almost as miraculous as the Adderall itself what Ive been doing is taking extremely high dosages of the stuff along with B Vitamin supplements and Alpha Lipotic acid/acetyl L Carnitine.

Now I am no longer sleeping for 15 hrs as a side effect from the adderall on my days off, but the trick is to take an attack dose which for me is 3x the recommended dosage and it works great.
Old 11-29-08, 12:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lychweake View Post
YES it works for me as well only after reading a post on how to prevent an Adderall crash..well this stuff is almost as miraculous as the Adderall itself what Ive been doing is taking extremely high dosages of the stuff along with B Vitamin supplements and Alpha Lipotic acid/acetyl L Carnitine.

Now I am no longer sleeping for 15 hrs as a side effect from the adderall on my days off, but the trick is to take an attack dose which for me is 3x the recommended dosage and it works great.
What exactly is your dose and what kind of magnesium is it? I understand different compounds are more or less useful. How do you know its the magnesium that is helping andn not the other stuff? Thanks for your response!