ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-17, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHDsim is on a distinguished road
Stimulant treatment - uncontrolled bipolar.

Hi,

So precisely what is known about the use of stimulants apon those with out bipolar underwraps?

Can stimulant use over time create a worsening of bipolar issues?

See for all intents and purposes I suffer from ADHD at all times.

I've noticed my mood disorder which I perceive to not be any more extreme either way has steadily increased to a rather rapid cycle.

Then again, I don't know any more.
Old 05-03-17, 04:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,218 Times in 13,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stimulant treatment - uncontrolled bipolar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDsim View Post
Hi,

So precisely what is known about the use of stimulants apon those with out bipolar underwraps?

Can stimulant use over time create a worsening of bipolar issues?

See for all intents and purposes I suffer from ADHD at all times.

I've noticed my mood disorder which I perceive to not be any more extreme either way has steadily increased to a rather rapid cycle.

Then again, I don't know any more.
I have bipolar and I have taken stimulants for over 13 years. Monitoring bipolar while taking stimulants is a must. There are chances that it could cause mania or mood swings however it is possible to take stimulants.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
jkimbo (08-17-17)
Old 08-17-17, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough

What SaraSweets said! Just like to add that bipolar is not a show stopper for adderall or any stims. But since it's hard enough for just about anyone to find a pdoc to even entertain the thought of trying stims, it may be harder for people with bipolar finding pdoc that has the experience with both. I find older pdocs are better then younger ones. The younger ones rely too much on what they read and lack the actual experience so they are reluctant to give anyone stims or any controlled drug.

I had the unfortunate luck of being diagnosed with bipolar back when it was still called manic depressive. The label hounded me for decades! Finally just 2 years ago I finally ran in to a pdoc willing to at least entertain this possibility for me. Once you find a pdoc that tries stims on you, and you react good on it, their records will carry over to the next pdoc should your pdoc retire or die or get another job. I've gone threw a lot of pdocs! Once you establish your ok on stims, and you benefit from them, most pdocs will just continue the previous pdocs findings and treatment.

It was specially hard for me to get started because of my previous label and my age too! Believe it or not, some pdocs don't believe you need stims after 55 or there abouts because the health risks out weigh the benefits in their opinion. Total bs of course, but good luck convincing a pdoc that believes that!

Good luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to jkimbo For This Useful Post:
Roxx1980 (09-25-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 07:38 AM

Exuberantfrost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have bipolar and I have taken stimulants for over 13 years. Monitoring bipolar while taking stimulants is a must. There are chances that it could cause mania or mood swings however it is possible to take stimulants.
Do you at the same time feel the need to take something that relaxes the mind or are you able to function monotherapeutically on stimulants?
Old 09-17-17, 09:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberantfrost View Post
Do you at the same time feel the need to take something that relaxes the mind or are you able to function monotherapeutically on stimulants?
I take cymbalta,lamictal,buspar,and geodon among other meds for other reasons. Those meds are a must with or without the adderall I take.

I carried a watermelon?

aeon (09-20-17)
Old 09-18-17, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I take cymbalta,lamictal,buspar,and geodon among other meds for other reasons. Those meds are a must with or without the adderall I take.
Out of sheer curiosity, have you ever had stimulant therapy without mood stabilizers/anticonvulsants at the same time?

If so, how did that affect you? As a backdrop for why I'm asking, I'm trying to figure out this puzzle of "stimulant sensitivity," if it is just the way I am (exaggerated response to all drugs) or a possible result of latent mood disorder.

Without mood stabilizers, do you describe yourself as "hypersensitive to stimulants"?

Forgive if it seems a strange or personal question, I don't mean to come off that way.
Old 09-18-17, 04:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
Out of sheer curiosity, have you ever had stimulant therapy without mood stabilizers/anticonvulsants at the same time?

If so, how did that affect you? As a backdrop for why I'm asking, I'm trying to figure out this puzzle of "stimulant sensitivity," if it is just the way I am (exaggerated response to all drugs) or a possible result of latent mood disorder.

Without mood stabilizers, do you describe yourself as "hypersensitive to stimulants"?

Forgive if it seems a strange or personal question, I don't mean to come off that way.
No, I have never had stimulants without those other meds. The reason is because stimulants can make someone with bipolar rapid cycle or sort of flip them into mania. It can be hit or miss though. Alot of people are misdiagnosed with bipolar and take stimulants without anything else and Ive always wondered if that means they really arent bipolar.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 09-20-17, 07:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,527 Times in 5,190 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, I have never had stimulants without those other meds. The reason is because stimulants can make someone with bipolar rapid cycle or sort of flip them into mania. It can be hit or miss though. Alot of people are misdiagnosed with bipolar and take stimulants without anything else and Ive always wondered if that means they really arent bipolar.
no it would not mean that

i can be just on my stimulants without a bipolar switch
aeon (09-20-17)
Old 09-21-17, 12:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A bit long and tangential, but.. Can someone with ADHD *without* mood disorders exhibit sensitivity to stimulants, getting the traditional "upper" effect from all stimulants, even at low doses? It's a simplistic question that may have no easy answer, but I'm asking anyway in case anyone has any thoughts on this.

It has been my lifetime experience. I am *ridiculously* sensitive, although this extends to all drugs and all classes of drugs, there is nothing that "does not" affect me for instance. I wonder if the very NON-adhd response to stimulants is indicative of a mood disorder, or if it is--as I still suspect--it's just the fact that I'm HSP and wired that way.

A recent article I read on HSP was scarily accurate, even suggesting a lot of ADHD folks meet criteria for HSP. (Highly sensitive person)
Old 09-21-17, 10:03 AM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

The only documented disorder that shows extreme sensitivity to stimulants schizotypal that I've seen

But I think it could be high anxiety too?

Or maybe just chemistry
Old 09-22-17, 12:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
The only documented disorder that shows extreme sensitivity to stimulants schizotypal that I've seen

But I think it could be high anxiety too?

Or maybe just chemistry
I definitely have high anxiety.

But I suspect the HSP thing is a pragmatic explanation. Some folks ARE just ridiculously sensitive and that extends to drugs. So, it could be just chemistry.

Regarding Schizotypal, it seems like the kind of thing that would be obvious to others, if not oneself. I have traits--some paranoid tendencies, delusions of grandeur, odd thought patterns. But that could be anything, the paranoia I believe is from being socially clueless in a manipulative world, simple as that really. Random/odd thought patterns just from having an overactive mind, constant distraction, and so on. (But that's also the same thing that makes me a good fiction writer.)

Last edited by Batman55; 09-22-17 at 01:06 AM..
Old 09-22-17, 05:46 PM

the paranoia I believe is from being socially clueless in a manipulative world, simple as that really.

the manipulative world view is the paranoia?
Old 09-23-17, 12:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
the paranoia I believe is from being socially clueless in a manipulative world, simple as that really.

the manipulative world view is the paranoia?
That may not have been as clear as I wanted it to be.

It would take me a while to type out what I mean.

I'll try and make it short. Someone with Asperger's (I believe I have it) begins very naive and trusts most people. This may last well into early adulthood when they begin to realize that others may not have their best interest in mind (gossip, bullying, two-faced behavior, etc.)

Excessive wariness of other people can easily develop in the face of this. It is a compensatory mechanism for lacking social instinct. I've seen the same thing described in autistic forums. "Paranoid" tendencies develop as self-awareness increases. That's what I think happened in my case, at any rate.
Old 09-24-17, 09:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
That may not have been as clear as I wanted it to be.

It would take me a while to type out what I mean.

I'll try and make it short. Someone with Asperger's (I believe I have it) begins very naive and trusts most people. This may last well into early adulthood when they begin to realize that others may not have their best interest in mind (gossip, bullying, two-faced behavior, etc.)

Excessive wariness of other people can easily develop in the face of this. It is a compensatory mechanism for lacking social instinct. I've seen the same thing described in autistic forums. "Paranoid" tendencies develop as self-awareness increases. That's what I think happened in my case, at any rate.
I can see how this would be true but also in my sisters case she had touches of OCD caused by anxiety as well.

I carried a watermelon?

Batman55 (09-24-17)
Old 09-24-17, 11:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
I can see how this would be true but also in my sisters case she had touches of OCD caused by anxiety as well.
It's basically what happens when you "tighten the screws" on social trust. It's a necessary coping mechanism for autistic people, for obvious reasons.

But when those screws get too tight--you can't trust anyone. You worry that others are talking about you behind your back. You tend to suspect the worst of everyone.

That's what happened for me and IMHO many autistic people turn out like this, or have some degree of it. It's not the same as Schizoid/Schizotypal either. It is literally "learned wariness."

There are some autistic folks who go the other way and don't adapt this mechanism. I've known some awkward people like this, but they tend to be incredibly naive about social rules and most importantly, how others perceive them.

Basically what I have just described is the difference between "highly self-aware autism" and "low self-aware autism." The first group learns to become self-aware with the resultant paranoia/anxiety, the second group doesn't but remains very naive and tends to repel other people without knowing why.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
Arei (09-26-17), Roxx1980 (09-25-17)