ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 09-07-17, 04:37 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,090 Times in 11,708 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Obsessing over past events

I've been severely obsessing over stuff that's happened in the past lately and can't seem to get the therapists tools for CBT working, my brain just is not cooperating lately.

I've got a few more months before I can "re-apply" for going back there (he works with a mental health charity and when I was doing better and got discharged he said to give it six months before contacting the charity again)

I don't want to be trying to see a actual professional outside of mental health support charities because of bad experiences previously with the ones outside of charities.

idk why I'm posting this ............ I guess I just need to "voice" it somewhere.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
Old 09-07-17, 04:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Obsessing over past events

You posted this probably because sharing relax you.

Maybe you would remember, i opened a post about my obsessive thoughts.
I was reading about obsessive compulsive disorder on the internet , i saw ignoring obsession makes it worse or pressuring it, so i talked to that person again about the topic that i made obsession. My obsessive thoughts disappeared after talking long with that person.

I really dont have an idea how you can go over ( i mean face it out) events that happened in the past. But it really helped me a lot. you may try to do similar thing

SSRI or SNRI would work well for your situation.
Also sharing like now may help you.

Last time obsession created a big problem for me during autumn, i made my lessons,exams etc. a obsession and it got out of control, it was terrible , sleeping rhytm disorder occured that time also.

Lustral(SSRI) helped me a lot for recovering on autumn
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-07-17)
Old 09-07-17, 04:49 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,090 Times in 11,708 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

My experience has been that professionals are only in it for the money.

That's why I don't trust them.

Time I was out of here for the night.

Might post some of my memories tomorrow. I'll see how I feel.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (09-07-17), kwalk (09-11-17), stef (09-07-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-17, 04:51 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,122 Times in 12,777 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

goodnight, star
Old 09-07-17, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
My experience has been that professionals are only in it for the money.

That's why I don't trust them.

Time I was out of here for the night.

Might post some of my memories tomorrow. I'll see how I feel.
I am not doctor but SSRI/SNRI are really helpful when it comes to annoying/repeating thoughts
If you dont respond to theraphies , medicine would be helpful for you.

I hope you feel peaceful soon.
Old 09-07-17, 07:44 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

In my experience the best therapists are the ones with the least letters after their name. It seems the more degrees they get the more jaded and uninterested they seem to be.(With exceptions, of course.)

I have had great counseling from beginning Psych students thru a local university. You might ask around at your local colleges, or look at charitable organizations like churches, shelters etc. for some answers..call and ask them if they know of any free or low cost counseling available, or do they have any recommendations for you.

Currently I am getting my meds and therapy from a local clinic. It is not the ideal situation, but it works for me at the moment.

That serenity prayer thing also might be handy for you when you start to think about old hurts, etc. Change what you can change, and let go of what you can't. You can't do much about anything that has already happened, you can't change it either. All you can do is make amends if possible or needed, and commit to not do those things or put yourself in those situations in the future. Not knowing what you are obsessing about specifically I may be generalizing a bit too much.

Best of luck...you'll pull through!
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-29-17)
Old 09-27-17, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

I can empathize with you. I have a problem with obsessing over past events as well. Especially past regrets, or situations of which I feel were never resolved. Basically, things I lost control over, or never had control over to begin with.

I also understand your need to voice your struggles. Many times when I find myself reaching out to others, it isn't always to seek advice, but rather it's a need to be understood. It can be a comforting feeling to know there are others who experience the same things as you do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
hutchie0109 (09-28-17), Little Missy (09-28-17), midnightstar (09-29-17), stef (09-29-17)
Old 09-28-17, 06:10 PM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

Victor Frankle, Mans Search for Meaning, I was advised to read this 13 years a go by my then CPN, he was a Polish psychiatrist and a Jew and spent WW2 in concentration camps, and writes about his experience, to put things in perspective, easier said than done though but, definitely worth it for me to read.

Great thing about these forums are, I know the crap I've been getting is kind of common.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hutchie0109 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-28-17), KitCat (09-29-17), Little Missy (09-28-17), midnightstar (09-29-17), stef (09-29-17)
Old 09-28-17, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,621 Times in 5,597 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

There are (at least) four reasons why a person might think, and obsess, about past events.

First, someone may be trying to understand and emotionally/mentally resolve something that happened in the past. This may be part of the grieving process if the situation and events involved loss and/or trauma. This is an adaptive, and positive, process.

Second, someone may emotionally hope that a situation and events from the past can be changed because to accept those things would be too great for the person to bear...they may not have the resources or skills to successfully come to a place of acceptance. Often, this becomes a ruminative process where a scenario is imagined and played out over and over in the hope of coming to a different ending. Cognitive distortions make the rumination possible, but they also ensure the situation will be seen incompletely, such that it seems "fixable"...at least on an emotional level. The rational mind typically does not accept this, understanding that the past cannot be changed, so until emotional acceptance and integration occurs, the hope for something different lives on, and the rumination continues.

Third, someone may be seeking internal stimulation, and use remembrance as a means to induce it. Memories, especially those that are painful, can cause the release of both neurotransmitters and hormones that serve to stimulate the brain and the body, preparing them for imagined events to come. These states can be reinforcing, such that they are sought in a compulsive manner. Also, in those with ADHD, this can be part of the self-stimulation process.

Last, in the case of traumatic events, memory may be fragmented and not integrated with the rest of memory. This is because under extreme duress, the flood of fight/flight/freeze-related neurotransmitters and hormones interfere with the normative process of memory formation...both in terms of completeness as well as where it is stored. This may be the case in those with PTSD, such that arousal of the nervous system during stress can result in flashbacks, obsessive rumination, and emotionally-charged recollection. This can also occur in those with an anxiety disorder, and in those with personality disorders featuring dysregulated cognition that leads to arousal, e.g., Paranoid Personality Disorder...among others.

Two or more of these processes may occur simultaneously.

Therapy can be beneficial for all of the above, and sometimes medication can be of help in tandem with therapy. Therapy can be of any number of approches, some traditional, some less so.

Cheers,
Ian
hutchie0109 (09-29-17), Josephina (11-08-17), KitCat (09-29-17), midnightstar (09-29-17), stef (09-29-17)
Old 09-29-17, 05:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

excelsior has a spectacular aura aboutexcelsior has a spectacular aura about

I empathise. I was going to a nurse practitioner that doesn't believe in adult A.D.H.D. He was the only one I could go to with my agency. Sooo, I started getting counseling from ANOTHER agency.

Sometimes you have to go outside your comfort zone...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to excelsior For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-29-17), KitCat (10-04-17), midnightstar (09-29-17)