ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-17, 05:44 PM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough
Are we just wired to have awful sleep?

The other day I found out that most people only take around 20 minutes to fall asleep at night. I had no idea! It takes me hours to fall asleep every night. I also rarely stay asleep for the whole night. I know that humans aren't technically supposed to sleep a solid 8 hours a night but I didn't know that some people could just stay asleep the whole time.

The professionals all talk about sleep hygiene and all the things you're supposed to do to promote better sleep. I did notice that when I limit caffiene at certain times of the day the quality of my sleep improved. That being said, it still takes about an hour to fall asleep. Sleep hygiene is a good habit but I don't know if it can fix my insomnia. It wouldn't bother me if I only needed a couple of hours of sleep but that isn't the case. My body is tired but my mind won't shut up. And reading at night doesn't help, either. If the story is boring then I won't read it and if the story is good I want to keep reading. Basically the only way for me to fall asleep is to pass out from exhaustion.

So TLR I'm not good with sleep. Never have been and probably never will be.

It makes me wonder if it's just an ADHD thing and that my brain is just wired to keep me up all night. I know that our hyperactivity can manifest in racing thoughts or rumination so it comes as no surprise that it affects our sleep. Somehow I find it very hard to believe that blue UV light from our smartphones is totes ruining our sleep, especially considering that my sleep is just as bad in the winter as it is in summer. People in the southern hemisphere must be exhausted all the time, if that were the case.

What does everyone else think? And is there anything that has actually worked for improving your sleep?
Old 08-29-17, 06:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,646 Times in 5,173 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are we just wired to have awful sleep?

Blue wavelength light from a smartphone will disrupt your melatonin production, affecting your ability to fall asleep, and stay asleep.

Exercise earlier in the day helps.

Caffeine and vaped nicotine help me fall asleep because they quiet down my mind.

A small bit of Dexedrine has also helped me in this way.

Insomnia might require a hammer like trazodone. It has worked for me in the past.

Actually, the #1 thing I have found for falling asleep is the combo of tiredness + spooning.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 09-04-17, 08:24 PM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Blue wavelength light from a smartphone will disrupt your melatonin production, affecting your ability to fall asleep, and stay asleep.

Exercise earlier in the day helps.

Caffeine and vaped nicotine help me fall asleep because they quiet down my mind.

A small bit of Dexedrine has also helped me in this way.

Insomnia might require a hammer like trazodone. It has worked for me in the past.

Actually, the #1 thing I have found for falling asleep is the combo of tiredness + spooning.

Cheers,
Ian
I hate being touched when I'm trying to sleep. In fact touch is something I'm weird about in general. I do like physical affection but very sparingly (unless you're a dog or I've been drinking).

I think I may have to consider the medical route if my sleep patterns don't start improving soon. Oddly enough, electronic devices have helped to distract me from my own thoughts. My phone has a blue light filter on it so it doesn't impact my sleep. It's not made much of a difference but my eyes do feel less strained, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-17, 04:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,676 Times in 12,956 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered with insomnia for years, Now, I am extremely rigid about my sleep cause I trained myself over nine months. I go to sleep and wake up in the same window of time each day NO MATTER WHAT. For me, I wake up between 4-6 and go to bed between 10-12. iI had a sleep study done and there are people out there who do not need the tradtitional 8 hours and I am one of them. I had to do this everynight over and over until it became routine. I had to use alarms and I had to get into bed and not use any devices or lights. It was brutal but the way things are now made it worth it. I dont want to hijack your thread going on about myself. feel free to ask questions.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-05-17)
Old 09-05-17, 04:51 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,699 Times in 12,598 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's particularly an ADHD thing; but that everyone has their own particular sleep pattern (amount needed + ideal time to sleep)

But if you are already biologically a night owl, then the ADHD is just going to complicate everything!

I'm a morning person and need 6-7 hours sleep. I have little trouble falling asleep, or waking up.

but it's usually less than 6, because I CANNOT make myself get to bed before 11:30 PM.

Also i need an afternoon nap and at work I am totally useless from about 2:30 - 4:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-05-17)
Old 09-07-17, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

I just recently started having trouble sleeping... maybe to much sugar in my diet. I feel restless, moving all the time. I dunno lol
aeon (09-07-17), Emre22 (09-07-17)
Old 09-07-17, 07:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

I don't want to sleep too, it happens to me every night , i stay awake until 02-04 am no matter when i woke up . I also hate sleeping early , i love night time of the day
I had some sleep rhythm disorder on autumn related to OCD ,i used imovane/zopiklon for 4 months , also i tried Trazodone but it didnt help much.
Finally i can sleep at similar times each day but i am still a night owl