ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: how much text, per week, unmedicated, could you sustainably read ?
0-50 pages 8 66.67%
50-100 pages 1 8.33%
100-300 pages 2 16.67%
300-500 pages 1 8.33%
500-1000 pages 0 0%
over 1000 pages 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-17, 06:23 PM
userguide userguide is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: croatia
Posts: 165
Thanks: 443
Thanked 88 Times in 62 Posts
userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Let's put the adhd in some perspective :

If you were to get a job where you have to read text, how much per week, on average could you read unmedicated?

I know people can hyperfocus, but let's say it's your job, it's not superinteresting, and you
have to sustain it for months.

So how much per week, unmedicated, could you put up with ?

For simplicity: 1 page of a book = 1 page of a magazine = 1 page of a text website on iPad or 17-19'' screen
(so you can figure out if you read only google news or only novels or only addf)

Sorry developers - reading software code doesn't count in this poll
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-19-17)
  #2  
Old 09-08-17, 11:37 PM
meadd823's Avatar
meadd823 meadd823 is offline
Super Meowaderator
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: address unknown
Posts: 20,843
Blog Entries: 38
Thanks: 6,810
Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Read text un-medicated zero, because I would loose the thing in which the text arrived even if said object was bigger than a bread box!

Un-medicated I am capable of loosing a full size automobile, I know because I have!
__________________


Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-19-17), kwalk (09-11-17), userguide (09-09-17)
  #3  
Old 09-09-17, 12:21 PM
Emre22's Avatar
Emre22 Emre22 is online now
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Turkey
Posts: 208
Thanks: 93
Thanked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

I guess i can read 20 pages every day , it can be average amount for me (sometimes i can read up to 50 pages maybe)
but i cant maintain it for a month even. Then problems will occur and i won't read any page on somedays
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-09-17)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 09-11-17, 07:16 AM
ScatterBrainX's Avatar
ScatterBrainX ScatterBrainX is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denmark
Posts: 59
Thanks: 1
Thanked 74 Times in 35 Posts
ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Oh, I can read a whole 500 page book in a single day, no problem.

The question is: how much info do I retain from it? The answer is "not much" )

I have to use other coping mechanisms, depending on what I'm reading. If it's something I need to remember, I have to take notes, else the answer is "0". If I'm reading fiction, using an audiobook and doing household chores works better.
__________________
I blog about ADHD, anxiety, psychology and mindfulness at http://scatterbrainblogs.com/
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScatterBrainX For This Useful Post:
kwalk (09-11-17), namazu (09-11-17), userguide (09-11-17)
  #5  
Old 09-11-17, 07:52 PM
userguide userguide is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: croatia
Posts: 165
Thanks: 443
Thanked 88 Times in 62 Posts
userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatterBrainX View Post
Oh, I can read a whole 500 page book in a single day, no problem.

The question is: how much info do I retain from it? The answer is "not much" )

I have to use other coping mechanisms, depending on what I'm reading. If it's something I need to remember, I have to take notes, else the answer is "0". If I'm reading fiction, using an audiobook and doing household chores works better.
500 ?
I wonder how much you can read on ritalin then , 5000 ?

Could you read 500 every day though ? week after week ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-11-17)
  #6  
Old 09-11-17, 09:15 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Two
Posts: 10,917
Thanks: 1,269
Thanked 852 Times in 630 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
Let's put the adhd in some perspective :

If you were to get a job where you have to read text, how much per week, on average could you read unmedicated?

I know people can hyperfocus, but let's say it's your job, it's not superinteresting, and you
have to sustain it for months.

So how much per week, unmedicated, could you put up with ?

For simplicity: 1 page of a book = 1 page of a magazine = 1 page of a text website on iPad or 17-19'' screen
(so you can figure out if you read only google news or only novels or only addf)

Sorry developers - reading software code doesn't count in this poll
I read about 3 pages a week without medication.

I read about 30 pages a week with medication.

I listen to about 300 pages a week without medication (audiobooks)

I am presently only using audiobooks.

(Just got the audiobook "Scattered" by Gabor Mate. Even though I have "read" Scattered. When I listen to audiobooks, I pick up information that I missed when I "read" the books.)




M
__________________
"When people are suffering mentally, they want to feel better -- they want to stop having bad emotions and start having good emotions." (-Temple Grandin)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-11-17), userguide (09-12-17)
  #7  
Old 09-12-17, 04:32 AM
ScatterBrainX's Avatar
ScatterBrainX ScatterBrainX is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denmark
Posts: 59
Thanks: 1
Thanked 74 Times in 35 Posts
ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
500 ?
I wonder how much you can read on ritalin then , 5000 ?

Could you read 500 every day though ? week after week ?
Well, I can sit down and read them. But it's not very useful, was my point.

I once loaned this 500ish page book from a friend that I really wanted to read, but procrastinated until the last moment, and had to return it when we met the next day.

So I read the whole book in one evening.

I barely remembered anything from the book as I finished it. Maybe 1-2 pages that really caught my attention.

I read it, as in my eyes moved over the words, but I don't retain any info.

On Ritalin/Elvanse, I read just as much, but remember a bit more. Maybe a whole 5 pages worth!
__________________
I blog about ADHD, anxiety, psychology and mindfulness at http://scatterbrainblogs.com/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScatterBrainX For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-12-17)
  #8  
Old 09-12-17, 08:10 PM
userguide userguide is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: croatia
Posts: 165
Thanks: 443
Thanked 88 Times in 62 Posts
userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatterBrainX View Post
I barely remembered anything from the book as I finished it. Maybe 1-2 pages that really caught my attention.

I read it, as in my eyes moved over the words, but I don't retain any info.

On Ritalin/Elvanse, I read just as much, but remember a bit more. Maybe a whole 5 pages worth!
I know what you mean, this is very tricky to discuss.

I guess normal people simply say the book was boring, when they don't recall anything.

I rarely know if it's the text's fault (some books are indeed boring and poorly edited), or I simply do not have any drop of hyperfocus left on this day.
But usually I remember much more, for a week or so. Then it slowly degrades, but I still remember what I read and where, more or less, for up to several years.


This ratio 5/500 pages sounds very challenging. Actually it seems like either the book was terribly boring, or you have very high anxiety.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-17, 08:14 PM
userguide userguide is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: croatia
Posts: 165
Thanks: 443
Thanked 88 Times in 62 Posts
userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I read about 3 pages a week without medication.

I read about 30 pages a week with medication.

I listen to about 300 pages a week without medication (audiobooks)

I am presently only using audiobooks.

(Just got the audiobook "Scattered" by Gabor Mate. Even though I have "read" Scattered. When I listen to audiobooks, I pick up information that I missed when I "read" the books.)




M
I think that's the strongest argument I've seen for people who don't believe in adhd.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-17, 08:59 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Two
Posts: 10,917
Thanks: 1,269
Thanked 852 Times in 630 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
I think that's the strongest argument I've seen for people who don't believe in adhd.


It sucks when cannot get the book I want, in an audiobook.

When I take medication I like to write lots of notes in a scribbler, with a pencil.

I do not take much notes when I am not taking medication.

Taking notes also helps me retain the information.

Reading my own hand writing also helps.










M
__________________
"When people are suffering mentally, they want to feel better -- they want to stop having bad emotions and start having good emotions." (-Temple Grandin)
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-12-17), userguide (09-12-17)
  #11  
Old 09-13-17, 04:32 AM
Fraser_0762's Avatar
Fraser_0762 Fraser_0762 is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the clouds?
Posts: 4,677
Thanks: 3,561
Thanked 5,598 Times in 2,725 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

I can sit in front of the laptop and read and research stuff all day. It's the "taking it in" that's the problem as i'm usually thinking about other stuff at the same time.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-13-17)
  #12  
Old 09-13-17, 05:58 PM
userguide userguide is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: croatia
Posts: 165
Thanks: 443
Thanked 88 Times in 62 Posts
userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I can sit in front of the laptop and read and research stuff all day. It's the "taking it in" that's the problem as i'm usually thinking about other stuff at the same time.
But that's hyperfocus, right ?

If I was to decide what you must read, how much would you manage ?


BTW, I think vacuuming information in the hyperfocus mode and blaming adhd for poor retention is a mistake. Information needs structure to sink in.
Compare studying a foreign language from a textbook and from a random newspaper.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-17, 04:33 AM
ScatterBrainX's Avatar
ScatterBrainX ScatterBrainX is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denmark
Posts: 59
Thanks: 1
Thanked 74 Times in 35 Posts
ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
I know what you mean, this is very tricky to discuss.

I guess normal people simply say the book was boring, when they don't recall anything.

I rarely know if it's the text's fault (some books are indeed boring and poorly edited), or I simply do not have any drop of hyperfocus left on this day.
But usually I remember much more, for a week or so. Then it slowly degrades, but I still remember what I read and where, more or less, for up to several years.


This ratio 5/500 pages sounds very challenging. Actually it seems like either the book was terribly boring, or you have very high anxiety.
If it happens with only a few books, it's the book's fault. If it happens with all or the vast majority of the books I read, it's on me.

It varies a bit for me as well. Some very engaging fantasy books, or well structured non-fiction books, I tend to remember more of.

With that book in particular, I was really tired when reading it too, making it all that much worse. And although it was interesting overall, it did have long paragraphs with tedious parts too.
__________________
I blog about ADHD, anxiety, psychology and mindfulness at http://scatterbrainblogs.com/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-17, 12:57 PM
BuckisMunz BuckisMunz is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salem, oregon
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
BuckisMunz is on a distinguished road
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

if the text is about something I'm interested in. I can read alot. put it needs pictures next to the text too. haha.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuckisMunz For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-19-17)
  #15  
Old 09-19-17, 01:01 PM
Hyperman87's Avatar
Hyperman87 Hyperman87 is offline
Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,312
Thanks: 3,867
Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future
Re: How much text can you read per week unmedicated ?

None as in 0 I'm not getting any reading done without medication. Not unless I am incredibly interested in the subject.

__________________
Confirmed diagnoses:Adult A D H D (COMBINED TYPE)

Last edited by namazu; 09-19-17 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: fixed YouTube link -- make sure it starts with http, not https.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attention Deficit Disorder and when did u start to talk and read? Avistar_sg General ADD Talk 46 12-08-14 06:47 PM
Anyone read Tom Hartman? sLiPpY Men with ADD/ADHD 18 01-09-10 10:32 PM
Attention Deficit Disorder and NLP Anyone? healthwiz Professional Coaching 49 06-28-06 12:43 AM
Been on Ritalin for a week StreetBlues Ritalin 8 11-18-04 06:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums