ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-17, 05:52 AM

Exuberantfrost is on a distinguished road
Do you experience not being able to control your thoughts

It's funny how often I experience very small thing's, thing's that I rationally know aren't problematic, that gets to be a huge problem only because of the reason that I can't stop myself from dwelling on them. Very small thing's like someone saying a joke I don't quite understand, that I really don't have the need to understand by any means. But that my mind somehow force myself to use enormous amounts of energy on trying to analyse because I totally lack the ability to control my thoughts and use them on something constructive and interesting. It feels extremely frustrating and dumb. Like a brain that really wants to make create traps for itself 24/7.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Exuberantfrost For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-16-17), Batman55 (09-14-17), Fuzzy12 (09-14-17), Hyperman87 (09-19-17), Kaia.S (09-16-17), peripatetic (09-14-17), poppetx (10-14-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-15-17)
Old 09-14-17, 05:59 AM
Jr Member

Fluppets is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you experience not being able to control your thoughts

I used to, but ever since Ive been on my medication this particular "symptom" has been severely reduced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (09-14-17), Hyperman87 (09-19-17)
Old 09-14-17, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
I used to, but ever since Ive been on my medication this particular "symptom" has been severely reduced.
I see. Interesting, what kind of medication made you more able to control your thoughts, if I may ask?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-17, 08:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,218 Times in 13,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberantfrost View Post
It's funny how often I experience very small thing's, thing's that I rationally know aren't problematic, that gets to be a huge problem only because of the reason that I can't stop myself from dwelling on them. Very small thing's like someone saying a joke I don't quite understand, that I really don't have the need to understand by any means. But that my mind somehow force myself to use enormous amounts of energy on trying to analyse because I totally lack the ability to control my thoughts and use them on something constructive and interesting. It feels extremely frustrating and dumb. Like a brain that really wants to make create traps for itself 24/7.
Do you experience racing thoughts? Are you on any medication?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-19-17)
Old 09-14-17, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you experience racing thoughts? Are you on any medication?
I've been on medication and has had some luck regulating. Unfortunately Clonidine, Quetiapin and Dexedrine made me so drowsy and exhausted, that I've decided to quit it and try and that has made these racing thought appear again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exuberantfrost For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (09-19-17)
Old 09-14-17, 03:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I've been less obsessive since I've been on gabapentin. I don't worry about much stuff anymore or obsess over stupid crap like that. If I start to I can actually control my mind and tell it to stop. I am more focused in turn. I didn't think I would ever be able to control stuff like that.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (09-14-17)
Old 09-14-17, 04:47 PM

Thanked 27,737 Times in 12,820 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have a big big big problem with this. Always. All the time. Meds did help. Dexamphetamine. Anti depressants also helped to an extent.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-16-17), Exuberantfrost (09-14-17), Hyperman87 (09-19-17), Kaia.S (09-16-17), kwalk (09-14-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-15-17)
Old 09-14-17, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

i guess so but my impulsive nature is more damaging at times, then my thoughts.
Exuberantfrost (09-14-17)
Old 09-14-17, 09:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

Antidepressants have really helped me with this issue. And I am almost certain Adderall has helped me with it as well.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler5 For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 12:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
I've been less obsessive since I've been on gabapentin. I don't worry about much stuff anymore or obsess over stupid crap like that. If I start to I can actually control my mind and tell it to stop. I am more focused in turn. I didn't think I would ever be able to control stuff like that.
Slightly off-topic, but since I am considering trying Gabapentin for 24/7 headaches, it's been interesting to discover recently it also can help control excessive rumination. It sounds like this may, in a roundabout way, help to increase focus on the task at hand.

I don't think I have any full-fledged mood disorder but I definitely do have a kind of "hair-trigger" temper which fluctuates up and down multiple times throughout a single day. The triggers can be stupid things, a lot of it (for me) is tied to "envy" and chronic comparison of myself to others. According to what I've seen this wild overreactivity/anger is common for ADHD, it's the "emotional dysregulation" aspect of it. I think I'd be able to function better overall, without this crap clogging up my mind every day.

What I wanted to ask is if you take Gabapentin at night/before sleep, or if you're able to use it during the day without drowsiness?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (09-16-17), poppetx (10-14-17)
Old 09-15-17, 12:56 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I didn't realize I had a problem that could be helped with meds and I've been on meds before and already a depression medication. It really quiets the mind to the point where most of the time I'm telling myself to think lol. I thought it was a part of ADHD that couldn't be cured. Anyways, I take 300mg at night and I tried 100mg during the day but after about a week in my system I became more and more tired. I am sensitive to medication dosages so you may be different, and many other people take a hell of a lot of it during the day.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 07:28 AM

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,740 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
I didn't realize I had a problem that could be helped with meds and I've been on meds before and already a depression medication. It really quiets the mind to the point where most of the time I'm telling myself to think lol. I thought it was a part of ADHD that couldn't be cured. Anyways, I take 300mg at night and I tried 100mg during the day but after about a week in my system I became more and more tired. I am sensitive to medication dosages so you may be different, and many other people take a hell of a lot of it during the day.
Wow, why don't they use this for adhders more? Uncontrolled thoughts seems to be the root off all problems for my adhd. I've always imagined that was the case for everyone.

That's really sucks you get such strong side effects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (09-15-17), kwalk (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 10:04 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,670 Times in 8,847 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I control my thoughts better when I'm able to control my breath better, not to mention my consumption habits. I was amazed at how shallow my breaths used to be...along with my thoughts. lol Practicing breathing techniques when I'm not freaking or stressing out seems to be the key to it helping me more effectively when I do feel under pressure. Some days, all hell breaks loose anyway, be it in thought or externally.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 12:36 PM

Thanked 19,260 Times in 10,240 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberantfrost View Post
I've been on medication and has had some luck regulating. Unfortunately Clonidine, Quetiapin and Dexedrine made me so drowsy and exhausted, that I've decided to quit it and try and that has made these racing thought appear again.
Huh. Seroquel is making you have racing thoughts?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 09-15-17, 12:44 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Overthinking seems to be a part of ADHD for a lot of people.

My mind sometimes gets caught in what feels like a vicious loop and just keeps going over and over and over some issue again and again and again. But most of the time, since I have no new information, there's nothing at all productive about doing this.

I few weeks ago, I happened to come across Dr. Charles Parker's CorePsych blog site and was kind of interested in the way that he describes ADHD because instead of concentrating on outward behaviors like the DSM does, he looks at "common functional ADHD-related brain activities" among which is what he calls "Thinking ADHD." He describes "Thinking ADHD" as being characterized by thinking, thinking, thinking, and then thinking some more, analyzing, double analyzing, fretting, worrying, etc. and never acting. According to Parker, "to the untrained eye, this type of ADHD looks like 'OCD,' and is often misdiagnosed as such." There is certainly a kind of obsessiveness in the way I think sometimes.

On the issue of overthinking, I'm reminded, too, that some experts on ADHD talk about how the minds of people with ADHD often latch on to things and won't let them go as a way of trying to focus. In his book, Shadow Syndromes, John Ratey talks about how people with mental disorders have a metaphorically "noisy brain." As he says, "internal noise affects our ability to work efficiently and well in other ways, too. For one thing, many people in a state of noise cope by 'focusing down' - by drastically narrowing their field of vision." One example he gives of "focusing down" is pacing, which he says, offers an "organizing, noise-reducing effect." LOL...And I pace a lot when I'm thinking, thinking, thinking, analyzing and double analyzing.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (09-15-17), Greyhound1 (09-16-17), kwalk (09-15-17), stef (09-15-17), Sudano68 (09-26-17), TheGreatKing (09-16-17)