ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 01-09-14, 04:13 PM

ShhImSleeping is on a distinguished road
Just visited doc - experienced vyvanse users opinions needed

So I just met with my doc, and I'm wondering if I should maybe look for a different doc, I'm losing faith in her decision making.

Quick background:
I was diagnosed with ADD two months ago by a psychiatrist in an office she claims is known for adhd treatment. She gave me three options, stimulants, strattera, or wellbutrin. I told her since this is my first time for any meds other than for sinus stuff, I wanted to go with one that has been around awhile, so she suggested wellbutrin or ritalin. I went with generic ritalin as Wellbutrin wasn't made for add, and from all the reading I've done of users comments, doesn't help much for it alone on it's on, more for depression.

First month I was worked up to 15mg generic ritalin 2x daily. Didn't do much of anything, just awake but really calm (I'm not hyperactive, most I do is fidget in my seat a lot), I'd sit still more, but it did almost nothing cognitive wise. During that month I did a lot of reading, and read vyvanse was a good long acting dex pill (once converted in the body), absorption rate seemed great and consistent, smooth up and down, and dex supposedly helps body with cognitive stuff. So I asked her about it, well, that tickled her pink, her office loves vyvanse (probably more for the less chance of addiction part) and happily wrote me a perscription.

I tried it during college break since I knew it was an amphetamine and I have had no perscription with it before. I was perscribed 50mg at start, which kicked my *** the first two weeks, but wasn't unbearable and the effects were eye opening. I've now been on it a month, most annoying side effects have gone other than dry-mouth, minor anxiety when it's at it's peak, and I'm more chatty. During that month, I learned that once it kicks in, the effects last roughly 5-6hrs (more so 5) and my energy is completely gone after 8-9hrs.

Now here is my current issue, and what me and her argued back and forth about. I'm no longer on break, classes have started, and the crazy schedule has begun. I no longer have a convenient go to work, go home schedule, and the 5-6hrs effective time won't cut morning class, work, late afternoon class, home to study/homework, bed. She kept telling me to change my schedule to make all of my school stuff fit in the vyvanse time frame, and I told her it just can't be done, it's impossible, I have a job, and NEED that job. I asked her about a small IR booster since I've read people do that, she said no, she didn't want to prescribe 2 class II drugs because she wasn't sure if she would get in trouble. I was skeptical, but I went along with it and suggested may an IR tablet 3x daily, that way I could get through the majority of my day and get some studying in. I prefer the consistency of vyvanse and that I didn't have to monitor my acidic food/drink intake so closely, but I also wanted the effects to last. She said no to an IR 3x daily, she would at most do 2x daily, and that I needed to change my schedule. I think she could tell I was starting to bite my tongue from getting frustrated, and said a higher dosage of vyvanse wouldn't necessarily be more powerful, but more to last longer. Here is where I would like an experience user to chime in, is this true in your experience? She also didn't even seem happy to do the IR of dex 2x daily, she said I would find it unpleasant and not like it, and thinks I'm now sensitive to meds now because she gave started me high at 50mg of vyvanse and I was pretty rough there till I adjusted (weren't unbearable), even though I pointed out I was just started too high and adapted very quickly to what I consider a high starting point. I also tried to argue since vyvanse is converted to dex in the body, the IR side effects most likely won't be as intense since I've adjusted to it, and then said vyvanse isn't dex... and this is where I lost some faith, because I'm pretty sure vyvanse is converted to dex in the body when metabolized correct?

So, we hit a stalemate, she wasn't going to budge on a booster or IR of dex 3x daily. She said the amount of time the pills would be in my body would be too unhealthy and she won't do it, and yet again, that I somehow need to magically rearrange my life to fit in vyvanse's effective window. She even wanted to lower the 50mg because of the side effects I experienced at first, which I kept telling her have improved greatly after my body adjusted and that it was just a lot to start and now I'm used to it.

So, both of us somewhat frustrated, she asked that I do a reading test. Record when I take the pill, which it kicks in, then once I'm home, each hour read something for 5-10min and see if I have to re-read it (what originally got me to go to the psychiatrist), and do that each other till I find myself re-reading and record the time, and to do this a few days because she wants to know when it is truly wearing off, because she said they shoot for 10hrs at her office, and she will up it next month if it isn't making 10hrs. I agreed, as long as she kept the 50mg now that my body has adapted to it about 90%, she agreed. I asked her about taking it a little later in the day (10am ish) since I now know my burn time roughly and how my body handles it, that way I'm not totally exhausted by the time I start my homework around 7pm. Again, she agreed... not sure how my morning class is going to go now, but it's my only option at this point.

I think asked her if there was a minor generic anti-anxiety pill I could use to help with the minor anxiety (was more intense when I first started) I experience if I'm not doing something. She said she won't perscribe anti-anxiety meds, she doesn't believe in them and that they are the equivalent of just drinking some alcohol to calm down, and if I took them, I could never drink alcohol. Since my anxiety is only if I'm not kept busy, and usually minor, I bit my tongue on asking "So I'm just supposed to carry a flask with me everywhere and take a shot when needed?". But I was curious what people thought on this comment too.

I'm just wondering if it is time to find another doctor, which would suck because then I'd have to find one on my insurance, hopefully get in in a time frame that is less than a month, hope they will be more flexible, if not, find another, then start treatment all over again most likely, and it just seems like a massive hassle. So to you experienced people (especially if your in college) I ask, am I over reacting, is there something you did to convince your doc to try a booster or IR 3x daily, or is my frustration fair?
Old 01-10-14, 05:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,697 Times in 12,970 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just visited doc - experienced vyvanse users opinions needed

I think it is time to consider another doctor. This one doesnt seem to know sh*t about adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (01-08-15)
Old 01-10-14, 08:58 AM

InTransit is on a distinguished road

What sarahsweets said-
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 10:29 AM

That what I kind of figured that would be the verdict, I just hate finding a new doc, but her inflexibility, lack of understanding about my student schedule, and lack of knowledge about boosters and vyvanse has me concerned.
Old 01-10-14, 10:47 AM

When you guys were trying to find a doc, other than looking for ADHD specialty, did you ask the doc any specific questions, how do you go about seeing if the doc is right for you? And my current one apparently finds antianxiety pills a joke, so until I find a new doc, do you guys recommend anything herbal to take to help with it? Also, do you recommend anything to ask/look for when trying to find a better doc?

Also, is it normal to have to see the counselor before seeing the psychiatrist? Because I feel I wasted the money to tell two people the same thing.
Old 01-10-14, 03:26 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,946 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for adult ADHD specialization is the main thing. Otherwise just go with your gut. But remember that almost all the time something is better than nothing.
Old 01-10-14, 04:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

If I was you......I'd try splitting the vyvance and taking it twice a day. I'm currently taking 60mgs a day in 2 30mg doses.

The easiest way to do this with 1 50mg pill would be in a bottle of water. Empty into 12 ounce water, shake it up, drink 1/2 Shake and drink the other 1/2 about an hour before the normal crash. I used to do with my doc's approval but now just get 2 30's a day.

Regards,
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDarren For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (01-10-14)
Old 01-10-14, 05:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all

So you should be drunk everywhere you go and get a DUI. What a smart doctor. She is just trying to get you to go away. You should find a new doctor. There is one thing I do not tolerate and that is lying.
The Following User Says Thank You to addthree For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (01-08-15)
Old 01-10-14, 05:43 PM

Someone else suggested in another one of my threads to split it up as well. Is there anything I should be concerned about with letting half sit in a bottle for 5-6hrs? I'll try it this weekend for a test run. Being as it is only half my normal dose, have you noticed it not being as effective (or more effective)?

My doc obviously doesn't know much about ADHD, but it took awhile to find a psychiatrist on my insurance that an opening in less than a month, most I called, if they were even accepting new patients, were months out. Just a nightmare trying to find a doc, and most of the good ones I seem to find, don't take insurance (or not mine) and it's $100+ a session.

Just curious, has anyone had any luck with herbal/natural supplements to fight their ADD? I'm not thrilled to be on amphetamines, but they do work, and I'm just considered about long term side effects, as well as the obvious, money money money moneeeeeey.
Old 01-10-14, 06:04 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

All known herbal supplements are useless. If there was a truly good one, many of us would be switching to it tomorrow. There are snake-oil salesmen out there pitching their latest; all of them are crap; the more expensive they are, the less they perform. Good quality omega-3 fish oil helps some people. B vitamins can make a difference. But the difference they make is quite minor unless you were previously deficient in those things.

Vyvanse (at least when not subjected to heat or freezing or other weirdness) can sit in a water bottle for more than a day without loss or change of any kind. Just make sure to shake or stir carefully before every use, as it settles to the bottom very quickly.
Old 01-10-14, 06:25 PM

Yeah I'm not shorton vitamins, I take, I think it's 8 now? Everyday. But yeah I kind of figured there wasn't, and if there was, and it truly worked, I figure the pharmaceutical companies would be all about trying to shut it down before we even hear about it.

Alright I'll try splitting it up though, since the dose is halved but frequency is doubled, do you find it more or less effective than a full dose at once?
Old 01-10-14, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addthree View Post
So you should be drunk everywhere you go and get a DUI. What a smart doctor. She is just trying to get you to go away. You should find a new doctor. There is one thing I do not tolerate and that is lying.
Yeah I pretty surprised to hear her say she thinks they are a useless and it is no better than alcohol... But like the guy before you said I think, for the time being, a doc is better than no doc, and finding a doc is a b**ch when they have to be on insurance (and will do stimulants and can get you in soon when I first started looking for one).

I got some searching to do.
Old 01-10-14, 06:37 PM
Mr. BllVt

A too-small dose isn't effective; a large-enough dose is. Expect it to work, see what happens.
Old 01-10-14, 09:10 PM
Contributor

Anastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to all

I take Vyvanse twice a day, for the same reason you complain of. At first I felt it lasted 7-10 hours, I doubted myself before the meds.duration and was very careful to make sure it wasn't me searching for the morning energy spurt I used to get. When I did complain it was ineffective after a certain time, my doc asked me on what days and what time do I get up? He added the second dose without a problem. He also offered to increase the dose, but it appears to be ok at this time, and I want to leave a descent increase dose margin, when needed.

I wonder why she started you at 50mg? If she is so conservative with prescribing or "by the book" then 50mg is a high starting dose, and if she follows the p.d.r 70mg is the max. dose. That's not much wiggle room, unless you take the above advice and modify the dosage. It may be necessary if you continue to stay on Vyvanse. I am going to keep it in mind as well.

Bottom line is she is not hearing your complaints and needs. Medicine adjustment, dose changes, changing meds, and or add-ons are so common in early treatment of a.d.d. for some. I used to bring my almost full, most recent Rx bottle with me to give to my doctor, that's how often we made changes attempting to find the right treatment. I didn't want him to think I was building an arsenal, lol.

A confident and experienced a.d.d doctor is important, it's complex and takes some "creativity"; I guess that's the best word, to find the right treatment.

Also, I drink a ton of water to keep my energy going and remain hydrated. I don't know if you are experiencing this, but the urge to eh hem... urinate is not there, so keep your system very well hydrated. I brush and floss more often as well due to the dry mouth, keeping hard candy is good too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (01-08-15)
Old 01-10-14, 09:57 PM
Contributor

Anastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to allAnastasia is a name known to all

Myths surrounding Vyvanse/ Personal experience Here is another opinion as well.