ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-17, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
negative psychology

There is a wide and acclaimed school of positive psychology for therapy and coaching,
not only for adhd but also for the "general public". Never mind the definition.

My question is:

Is there a "negative" school of thought ? By this I understand concentrating on negative
feelings and experiences (not in a freudian way); blame, guilt, fear, and so on.

Have anyone heard of this kind of therapy/coaching approach ?

I've read something about it, but forgot where and what it was.
Old 07-27-17, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: negative psychology

There is some focus on those things in approaches like Radical Acceptance and tangentially, Exposure and Desensitization therapy, but I have not heard of a clinical approach that is based on a negativistic approach.

In thinking about it, I’m not so sure it would be a good idea either.

The mind tends to manifest that which is thought about, e.g., tell a kid who has just learned to ride a bike to avoid something, and they often tend to ride right into it.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-27-17), someothertime (07-27-17), userguide (07-27-17)
Old 07-27-17, 01:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
Re: negative psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
There is some focus on those things in approaches like Radical Acceptance and tangentially, Exposure and Desensitization therapy, but I have not heard of a clinical approach that is based on a negativistic approach.

In thinking about it, I’m not so sure it would be a good idea either.

The mind tends to manifest that which is thought about, e.g., tell a kid who has just learned to ride a bike to avoid something, and they often tend to ride right into it.

Cheers,
Ian
Thx, I will look into those.

The bold part reminds me of an actual research on swimmers - Those who were coached to think about the flow of the hands movement and told to somehow "concentrate" on the swimming activity had worse times.

But in terms of a therapy this might be irrelevant. Coaching is about to shed some new light on your life, so maybe there's a good reason to smell some **** for a while ?
Sponsored Links