ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-18, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: What techniques do you use to read more effectively?

I have a master's degree, and to get it I had to do a lot of academic reading - usually hundreds and hundreds of pages for every class. I still have to do a fair bit of academic reading (but not as much as I did for my master's degree). I also enjoy leisure reading, both fiction and non-fiction. Sometimes I do struggle with distraction, but here are some things that have helped me:
  • I try to pick a reasonably comfortable seat and a non-distracting location. It's amazing how my choice of seating/location affects the quality of my reading.
  • I take regular breaks (every chapter for easier books, for harder books sometimes every couple pages).
  • I hardly ever read just one book, as it gets too monotonous. I need variety, even for leisure reading. And for heavy academic reading, I will also have one or two lighter reading books nearby, and I will keep switching between them.
  • White noise or similar ambient noise helps me. I have an app called Rain Rain that plays various background noises like rain or ocean waves or wind. I'm not sure why it helps so much, but somehow it calms the part of my brain that wants to wander.
  • I often keep a highlighter or pen handy, and mark important points of the book.
  • It sounds grade-schoolish, but sometimes it helps to use my finger or a bookmark to point to each line as I read it. Otherwise I can skip lines or even whole paragraphs without even realizing it.
Hope these tips are useful in sparking some ideas for techniques that may be helpful to you!
PoppnNSailinMan (09-29-18)
Old 09-29-18, 05:54 PM
Contributor

Vector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
I have been trying to read more, but it is often so difficult whether it is something I have to read or am reading for fun. I constantly have to go back because I realize I have no idea what I read about the last couple pages and end up reading the same paragraph over and over. I am also a very slow reader and it takes forever to get through things.

I have tried some stuff to improve my reading skill. I also forced myself to "read" about 50 books or so. Guess what? I'm still a terrible reader. I haven't read a book in years , I have decided to focus my effort on other skills.
Old 09-30-18, 03:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

As a child, I loved the bookmobile! Seemed like we didn't usually live near enough to a library, so we'd find out days/times/location on the bookmobile. In middle school, I started checking out books from the school library also. I thought it was funny that some of the books were a bit adult. I do have trouble really absorbing enough of what I read. I often miss important info and have to go back and try to figure things out. But the love of reading was common in my family, as was curiosity about things.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-18, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

I pick books that are kind to my eyes and brain. If the print is too small or two close together, I know better than to think I'm going to read it, even if it's Farley Mowat, Steinbeck or Willa Cather-- or My Antonia (off the top of my head)...it's just not going to happen.
Now, I can trust in Calvin and Hobbes. and most children's books. I love children's books.

I have low tolerance for ridiculous publishing companies that aren't considerate visually, isn't typeset an art?...do they want people to read the book or not?
I recently went to the library and looked up ADHD books. (I am already reading Scattered...it's a little tough, not so much for the print but the content. (I thought it was interesting that the chapter on Self Esteem sounded a lot like ACA's))

I was annoyed at first because it seemed like the author went out of his way to be extra wordy which seemed kind of inconsiderate to his ADHD audience, but I keep hearing what a great book it is so I keep trying.

But the book I came home with, out of huge selection from a bigger library, was Fast Minds. Why, because I could open it up, I could read it in a glance, the lay out was spacious, with lists...it was easy to see the content and to see that I liked it. Most of the other books felt like an assault on my eyes, mind.

So yea, over the years, I've learned, first rule is to check the print, typeset, layout. Makes all the difference for me, life's too short as well as my memory to be wasting it on deciphering unnecessarily complicated information. I'll do it for a friend's words and probably even enjoy it but not mass publishing stuff.