ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-13, 09:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,469 Times in 924 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future
Re: Asperger's Disorder Symptoms

I still haven't had a formal diagnosis done but I have the symptoms since early childhood as per my research and the feedback here.

I know see that it's imperative to find a Dr. who will test me and my son properly. When I enter the Dr's office with my boy I endeavor to be polite because my impulse is to tell the truth and I'm met with disbelief. This has caused my son and I great hardship.

This forum is helping me. thanks

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-24-13, 11:08 AM

imageek is on a distinguished road

I went to my doctor yesterday to ask her whether it's possible I have ADD as an adult. After talking she thinks Aspergers and told me ADD is usually picked up in children.

I defiantly have traits of Aspergers. I'm am hyperfocused on programming and computing for example. Constantly, every day for 18 hours a day. It's been like this since I discovered computers when I was 14. I was imprisoned for a computer hacking crime too. Most hackers and people similar to me have Aspergers.

I keep no friends. I don't like friends. Being around people is so awkward for me. I feel like an outcast in the group. People also mention on how secluded I am when with groups of people, but I can't help it. It's like I lack their knowledge to be a part of a group.

I have no empathy, and little emotions. I don't get upset when people die. I am not in slightest bit moved by recent events such as the Woolwitch murder attack. I feel no emotion towards that at all. It's the same with any event which would cause normal people to feel empathy. Even when family die, or their ill, I feel nothing. I have to get very drunk to feel any sort of emotion.

I'm a very good liar, except I am also too honest. I can't lie, but when I do lie people can never tell.

I am also very observant. I spot changes in peoples behavior instantly. It's a sort of skill I have that I have no idea how I got it. If someone lies, I can analyze their body language, their vocals, their eye contact and all the minute details at the same time and tell if someone is lying. I told my mom her partner was cheating based on my observations of him. She didn't believe me, but it turned out he was.

Even talking on the phone to my girlfriend, I can hear changes in tone that she don't even know she's doing, and pauses between words that she's not aware of. And a number of times I've spotted white lies and she's amazed at how I can figure it out.

But one thing that isn't an Aspergers syndrome that I have is the lack of ability to finish a project. Which is common with ADD. I lose interest, concentration and focus. I'm easily side tracked by other ideas, or other things that are interesting to me at the time.

I've been a music producer for 10 years as a hobby, I've invested thousands in music gear, yet I've never been able to finish a track, even though people say my unfinished work is outstanding.

So yeah, I'm in limbo between Aspergers and ADD. Maybe I have both. Maybe I have neither and it's something else. I don't know.

I don't have a monotone voice when I talk. But I always avoid eye contact. I notice when people are talking to me I'm looking somewhere else and not even listening to them. That's awkward at times.

Sorry for the essay, just sharing my feelings
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imageek For This Useful Post:
Bouncingoffwall (04-07-17), LynneC (06-23-13), zilphy (02-14-14)
Old 05-24-13, 04:36 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD is not always caught in childhood and a lot of autistic people have it along with autism.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
zilphy (02-14-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-13, 12:03 AM
Jr Member

Slang Tang is on a distinguished road

Aspies unite!

Yeah, ADHD/ADD were once considered autism spectrum disorders. Now there's some controversy about it, but still...many similarities.
Old 07-21-13, 01:00 AM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

They were? I have never encountered that before.
Old 03-05-14, 08:47 PM

Helena C is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Asperger's Disorder Symptoms

[quote=ikgbixcal;644379]Can some one tell me if this is a symptom of aspergers?

ok a while back i had shoulder surgury. now i always wanna strech it out over and over again. i prolly do it about 40-50 times. So whats my problem

Sounds like a pretty understandable thing to do after maybe having it confined in a sling for a while and probably good for your arm muscles too !
Unless you are having other symptoms I'd say don't worry about it too much. maybe try doing it a little less each time to slowly break the habit....Good luck.
Old 07-06-14, 02:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

Why is it only stickies in the autism/aspergers section?

Secondly...I am far into the aspie acknowledgment phase and am past caring about it...I just do what I do...it does not define me and I am focused on being a better me not on being a better "aspie"
Old 07-08-14, 12:56 AM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandletdie View Post
Why is it only stickies in the autism/aspergers section?
This sticky post titled if you only see the stickies here explains the problem.

quoted from said thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
Scroll down to the bottom of the Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD page.

On the bottom left is a bit labeled "Display Options." There are three dropdown menus:

Sorted by
Sort order
From the

Select "beginning" in the "From the" drop down.

At this point all threads should be visible.
Old 04-28-15, 09:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Cotter67 is on a distinguished road
Re: All in the family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I am a "grandma" aged person diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago. I received good counselling and I take Ritalin, but I still have big problems accomplishing things.

I could trace a line back to my mother and her hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Who knew so many years ago--50--about diagnosis and treatment?

Today I received an email from my sister's adult daughter. She has a son with autism (now 9 years old). She also has a son who is 6, and has just been diagnosed as having Asbergers. Why did it take so long? The first boy was diagnosed at 2. I had visited them two summers ago, and the older boy, affectionate and quiet, was the one who needed full-time attention and one-on-one guidance. The younger one was a sweet, curious, demonstrably affectionate, social kid. Is he changing?

This family has the resources to deal with this financially, but I know it is going to take even more of their dedication and understanding.

Maybe these differences are genetically related.(?)
i was diagnosed at 24, if diagnosed with adhd pi as a child well things could have been very diifferent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cotter67 For This Useful Post:
4rch0n4n6313 (07-29-15)
Old 07-29-15, 12:00 AM

4rch0n4n6313 is on a distinguished road

I want to reach out to poeple...I want to build close relationships...but im so selfish..I dont know how...
The first...two three weeks of getting to know someone, I have got down..Its the part where the relationship dynamic is supposed to change that I am at a loss, and I become either too aggressive or to distant. I forget to make eye contact. I forget to feign sympathy...I loose all desire to talk about anything that doesnt interest me...
Sometimes I think the only reason i am still married is because i dont like to touch people, and it took me sooooo long to get comfortable enough with my husband to enjoy the "horizontal polka". I was diagnosed 2 years ago, im 31 now. Im also African-American. Though i displayed allot of traits, teachers just thought I was "arrogant" and a "know-it-all" and that I had no respect for them.
I guess Im at this point in my life where the euphoria of knowing what is wrong with me is being replaced by this feeling of impending doom that Ill never live the life of the people I see on TV, unless I find some kind of resource that details those many little things people take so for granted in their daily interactions.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4rch0n4n6313 For This Useful Post:
Bouncingoffwall (04-07-17)
Old 07-05-17, 01:16 AM

trmdd1 is on a distinguished road

Reading this really worries me. Lately my mom and sister have been saying I have aspergers because of the way I act, constantly going on dwelling and ranting about things mostly, and repeating myself alot. but I only act like this around them, because my mom has adhd and Its really hard to get her attention, I feel like they are never listening to me. They also talk over me, but complain when I do it. I have severe depression, which can cause one to dwell on negative things and obsess over stuff, so its hard to tell. My mom said when I was a kid a dr suggested I had it, and gave her a leaflet, her being the responsible parent she is, dismissed his claim and didn't take me back to him.

I have enough dealing with severe MDD/TRD, social/general anxiety, PTSD, sleep apnea/insomnia. I dont need this.

What is the treatment for aspergers anyways?
Old 07-05-17, 05:19 PM
I eat shades of red.

For adults there is no treatment.
Old 07-05-17, 05:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,086 Times in 12,173 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Some therapy has been helpful for ASD adults to figure out how to develop
social situations and communication cues.

Meds can improve comorbid issues like anxiety or irritability.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-05-17)
Old 01-05-18, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

The way in which I process sound is my biggest symptom - but is it ADHD, autism or a CAPD?

Stimulants have certainly helped but it's still difficult for me to filter out meaningless sounds, which has serious implications on my verbal recall, memory, attention and stress levels. Thus, I have spent the vast majority of the past eleven years or so in a depressed/apathetic state of mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-05-18)
Old 03-09-18, 05:06 AM

Angnremorse is on a distinguished road

I definatly fir the bill for add, no questions asked.. however I just kind of fit for aspergers, but i'm not exactly sure. I mean how do you get a referell for a diagnosis as an adult? At that how do you get a referral for help in anything? This is long overdue. I have no excuse as to why I've waited this long.