ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-08-18, 03:53 PM

dirusali is on a distinguished road
DESPERATE: Do I have to redose or wait?

I am new to Adderall and been prescribed 10 mg IR in the morning and 10 mg afternoon.

My doc says it shoud lasts 5 hours each dose but the truth is very different.

My experience is: first 1 - 2 hours after kicks in are great mood and euphoria

Then suddenly it goes away and feel depressed and moody, and feel like need to redose.

What is the right effect supposed to be? Should I wait until the crash leaves and then will I feel focus?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!
Old 03-08-18, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DESPERATE: Do I have to redose or wait?

Take your meds as prescribed.

Talk with your doctor about your experience with them.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-08-18), namazu (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,401 Times in 11,803 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Euphoria is not the cure for adhd. Yeah it feels good, but what you want is
steady focus and ability to take care of things (mostly take care of yourself).

The hype about IR Adderall is that it lasts 4-6 hours. The truth is that it rarely
lasts more than 3 hours.

But since you're new to the diagnosis and the meds, take them as prescribed
for at least 2 weeks. Keep track of how they make you feel and when you
experience the 'crash'.

If you feel the crash that strongly, you may need a lower dose for a couple of
weeks to give your body a chance to adjust.

Maybe when share your records with the doc, you could try a smaller dose 3 or
4 times a day for better coverage.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
dirusali (03-09-18), Kaia.S (03-08-18), namazu (03-08-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-18, 10:00 PM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light

I found that breaking the IR doses in half keeps the benefits more uniform. It alleviates the crash/ moodiness and covers the day better. Instead of 10mg twice, 4-5 hours apart, I’d do 5mg every 2.5- 3 hours. If you just started 10mg, it May be too much at once which may account for the tiredness and moodiness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
dirusali (03-09-18), Little Missy (03-08-18), Lunacie (03-08-18)
Old 03-09-18, 05:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,229 Times in 14,331 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Ir meds last about 3 hours, so if you are taking 10mg twice a day thats about 6-8 hours of coverage. You need to go back to the doctor and talk about it. IME you need a middle of the day dose.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
dirusali (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 11:10 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi Dirus, Keep in mind this is MY EXPERIENCE w/ amphetamines. YOUR EXPERIENCE will/may be different.

Your body takes time to adjust to starting a new med or changing dosage or changing dosing frequency. During this adjustment period you can't fully evaluate how well/poorly the med is doing for you. You just try to ride it out. You likely will have a euphoric period for a few days initially and then it will go away.(This has nothing to do w/ treating your symptoms. The euphoric period going away is often mistaken for the med wearing off. It isn't wearing off.) You will/may have side-effect that will/may lessen during the adjustment period. How well each of your symptoms are addressed may stay the same during the period, get better, get worse, start worse initially and then get better. The way to approach all of these unknown issues IMVHO is to keep a daily journal and just wait until YOUR adjustment period is over and it "lines-out" for you. Then you can look over your journal and evaluate how well the meds are working FOR YOU. On top of this, the adjustment period can be different for everyone. For me it is ≤2 weeks for most things, but up to 4 weeks for others (sleep disturbances). If it helps, we have all gone through this and it was equally confusing, but only at first.

How long should you wait until you are pretty much done adjusting to the Meds? I donno. Initially that is something you need to talk to your Doc about. Then after you go through it a few times you will find out what works for you. Then talk to your Doc about incorporating into your titration.

When should you discontinue taking the meds and talk to your Doc? This is something you need to get from your Doc and feel comfortable with before starting on a new med. In addition to serious side-effects associated with your new med, your medical history history needs to be taken into account.

How much latitude did your Doc agree to give you with respect to adjusting your dose and/or frequency? You need to stay within these boundaries. If you want to reduce your dose and your Doc didn't explicitly OK it already, you need to talk to your Doc. The same especially goes for increasing your dose. If you want to change your dosage frequency and your Doc didn't explicitly OK it already, you need to talk to your Doc.

Getting back to your explicit questions in your OP...

How long the dose lasts is different for everyone. My experience is that it is somewhat dose dependent but not much. Your dose can be too low and not all of your symptoms are being treated. Your dose can be too high and you experience side-effect and/or some of your symptoms get worse. If you're lucky enough to find an acceptable range with good treatment AND acceptable side-effects the duration will be pretty much the same over that range. For me with Adderall and dexedrine IR it is 2½ - 3 hours. I believe other's have talked about 4-5 hours. Bottom line is YOU need to find this out by trial and error, keeping good notes, and doing good reviews.

How do you know what the right effect is? You were diagnosed w/ ADHD based on symptoms that you have. You were given meds to treat these symptoms. So write down each of YOUR symptoms. Next to each one, write down specific real-life examples of the symptom causing you problems in the past. Next to that write down specific real-life examples of that symptom, improving, staying the same, or getting worse. For some you may not have examples for, but others you should be aware of at any given moment. For me that is "focus" and working memory. If you keep a daily journal and try to evaluate each one, examples will occur for the others. Be sure to document undesirable side-effects too.

Should you wait for the crash to leave to evaluate? The answer is yes and if you can get your dose right and/or after your body adjusts there won't be a crash. At that point you will be able to evaluate your focus as well as other symptoms for treatment effectiveness. Sorry about the long response. May be too much coffee. Good luck and hope this helps. -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
dirusali (03-09-18), Lunacie (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 02:42 PM

dirusali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
I found that breaking the IR doses in half keeps the benefits more uniform. It alleviates the crash/ moodiness and covers the day better. Instead of 10mg twice, 4-5 hours apart, I’d do 5mg every 2.5- 3 hours. If you just started 10mg, it May be too much at once which may account for the tiredness and moodiness.
I have done this today and it works wonders.

Personally I think this is the best way to use the medication, the more uniform the effect the best, why would we want to peak and then crash?? can't get why docs don't prescribe it this way,

Big thanks for the idea!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dirusali For This Useful Post:
Swissy (03-09-18)
Old 03-21-18, 02:03 PM

TallMan10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirusali View Post
I have done this today and it works wonders.

Personally I think this is the best way to use the medication, the more uniform the effect the best, why would we want to peak and then crash?? can't get why docs don't prescribe it this way,

Big thanks for the idea!!
The reason why is that it delays onset. I would prefer for the peak to be at 12 noon and go down from there (so I can sleep at night). So, I want a curve that starts working at 8 am and stops working at around 5 pm (i.e., the blood concentration at 8 am to match that at 5 pm). How in the world do you accomplish this by breaking pills in half, unless you take the first one at 3 in the morning?