ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-18, 04:51 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,285 Times in 7,104 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
How to handle a member I don't like in a therapy group?

Long story short...I'm part of an intense group that meets 3 times a week for 2 hour sessions. It only started a couple of months ago, but already there's been a "core" built. The members that show up everyday...and we've bonded quite well already and things have been going great.

But then we got a new guy on monday. And I just don't like him. I can go on and on about it...but he's just a very angry, loud, rude, scrappy guy.
My intuition is screaming loud and clear not to put any trust in him.
Plus he keeps patting me on the back like we're buddies or something...but I can't stand being touched...especially by men I don't like.

I'm not sure what to do? I don't want to bring it up in group in front of him...because once it's said, it can't be unsaid, and it'll just make the 2 of us REAL uncomfortable in the group from that point on.
Plus I'm having a real hard time determining if any of the other members are feeling the same way about it.

But I've just been sitting there in group this week...bored...quiet...and angry. There's all this tension, and this guy keeps blurting things out and he so often acts like he knows what he's talking about...when the words he speaks are way off. Or he keeps loudly giving examples of things he's been through...that have NOTHING to do with the topic we're talking about, and it's just like...wtf dude? Stop wasting our time man.

Maybe he'll stop coming on his own after another week or 2? Maybe not.
Maybe I'm way off about him and will grow to trust him/like him in the future?
Something's gotta happen though. I'm not sure I can remain committed to this group if something doesn't change.

I'm just mainly typing this all out to vent.

Any opinions though? Should I confront him about this? I'm not physically afraid of him or anything.
Should I go behind his back and ask the other members what they think of him? Should I be honest with them and let them know I don't like him a bit?
I think I'll talk to one of the people who run the group and see what they have to say.

haha, and I was going to keep this post short.
Well...so much for that idea!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), Kaia.S (03-08-18), midnightstar (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 05:15 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,913 Times in 12,930 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to handle a member I don't like in a therapy group?

From your description, I don't get a good feel about him. Maybe see what the people running the group think? (((((psycho)))))
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), Lunacie (03-08-18), psychopathetic (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,387 Times in 11,796 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Long story short...I'm part of an intense group that meets 3 times a week for 2 hour sessions. It only started a couple of months ago, but already there's been a "core" built. The members that show up everyday...and we've bonded quite well already and things have been going great.

But then we got a new guy on monday. And I just don't like him. I can go on and on about it...but he's just a very angry, loud, rude, scrappy guy.
Plus he keeps patting me on the back like we're buddies or something...but I can't stand being touched...especially by men I don't like.

I'm not sure what to do? I don't want to bring it up in group in front of him...because once it's said, it can't be unsaid, and it'll just make the 2 of us REAL uncomfortable in the group from that point on.
Plus I'm having a real hard time determining if any of the other members are feeling the same way about it.

But I've just been sitting there in group this week...bored...quiet...and angry. There's all this tension, and this guy keeps blurting things out and he so often acts like he knows what he's talking about...when the words he speaks are way off. Or he keeps loudly giving examples of things he's been through...that have NOTHING to do with the topic we're talking about, and it's just like...wtf dude? Stop wasting our time man.

Something's gotta happen though. I'm not sure I can remain committed to this group if something doesn't change.

Any opinions though? Should I confront him about this? I'm not physically afraid of him or anything.
Should I go behind his back and ask the other members what they think of him? Should I be honest with them and let them know I don't like him a bit?
I think I'll talk to one of the people who run the group and see what they have to say.

I'm sorry. I don't enjoy being around people like that in any situation, much
less a sensitive one like group therapy.

You have the right to not be touched. Or to be asked before being touched.

I think that's where I'd start in talking to the group facilitator about this.
I'd bet there are others who are not comfortable with unexpected touching,
even back-patting. (especially when it feels fake)

I would also ask if the facilitator can do something to keep the discussions on
topic, as he seems to be trying to monopolize the discussion and one-up the
other speakers.

Psycho-

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-08-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-18, 05:42 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

HI MIDSY!!

Haven't seen you in a couple of days and it's nice to see ya!

(((Mids)))

(((((((MOM)))))))

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (03-09-18)
Old 03-08-18, 05:54 PM

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How to handle a member I don't like in a therapy group?
I think a 12-gauge with bean-bag shells should get him to pipe down when he is running fast and loose.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 06:07 PM

Thanked 29,491 Times in 13,592 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no. I hope he leaves again...or changes though that is less likely and might take longer.

I think talking to one of the people who run the group is the best thing to do!!

Maybe he'll pipe down after a while? Maybe he's feeling insecure or awkward because he's new?

I struggle around people like that as well...whatever their motivation. I hope one of the group runners can help you...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), Lunacie (03-08-18), psychopathetic (03-08-18)
Old 03-08-18, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I think a 12-gauge with bean-bag shells should get him to pipe down when he is running fast and loose.
haha...yeah, that'd probably take care of things in a hurry!

(((((((MOM)))))))

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-08-18), daveddd (03-09-18)
Old 03-08-18, 06:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

Quote:
Should I confront him about this? I'm not physically afraid of him or anything.
I would only confront him if he touches me, in a friendly way, like 'i don't feel comfortable with that'.

I know it's very tempting to get some gratification for your feelings, but i would not go behind his back talking to the other members about him. You might feel guilty over that afterwards, better keep your street clean. Just sit back and watch what happens. I sometimes try to makes these situations like a chapter of a movie or a game. It will take care of itself, to me it would be a good practise to not make it personal and stick to my own proces, keep the focus on the reason why i'm in this group: for me to get better quality in life, or something like that.

I think it's a good idea to trust it in person to one of the group leaders, maybe they might have some good suggestions on how to deal with your feelings towards this person. I think that would be a good way to go.

Good luck! X
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-08-18), daveddd (03-09-18), Fuzzy12 (03-08-18), Little Missy (03-08-18), Lunacie (03-08-18), namazu (03-08-18), psychopathetic (03-08-18), stef (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 02:54 AM

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

To be honest, I can feel that guy, being disliked even in a community which is supposed to accept him. It reminds me to the time when I was removed from someone's friendlist in the Web of Loneliness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monox D. I-Fly For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-09-18), Kaia.S (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 03:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

It sounds like he's overcompensating. One thing I learned as a new therapist running a group for the very first time ws that if one person is think or feeling something , someone else is also feeling the same thing. People who overcompensate in group situations are used to being disliked, so they try to be liked, by being overly friendly, i.e. touching people when you don't know them, acting like a 'know it all' when in fact you don't know what the f--k they're talking about. All of these people over shoot the mark in their attempt to be liked and end up achieving exactly the opposite of what they want--they perpetuate a vicious circle of not being liked, trying too hard to be liked, and again being disliked.
Of course there is nothing you can do about him. But don't let him rent free space in your head. Try feeling sorry for him instead of disliking him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-09-18), midnightstar (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-09-18), stef (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
To be honest, I can feel that guy, being disliked even in a community which is supposed to accept him. It reminds me to the time when I was removed from someone's friendlist in the Web of Loneliness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
It sounds like he's overcompensating. One thing I learned as a new therapist running a group for the very first time ws that if one person is think or feeling something , someone else is also feeling the same thing. People who overcompensate in group situations are used to being disliked, so they try to be liked, by being overly friendly, i.e. touching people when you don't know them, acting like a 'know it all' when in fact you don't know what the f--k they're talking about. All of these people over shoot the mark in their attempt to be liked and end up achieving exactly the opposite of what they want--they perpetuate a vicious circle of not being liked, trying too hard to be liked, and again being disliked.
Of course there is nothing you can do about him. But don't let him rent free space in your head. Try feeling sorry for him instead of disliking him.
Wow, this puts a whole new perspective on things for sure!
I'll give it some time and see how things develop...and I'll do so with a more open mind now, thinking that maybe he's not being rude, but rather he's just super nervous.

And thanks everyone for all the replies and for taking this serious lol. I felt kinda silly for asking this question as I was typing it, cause it seemed pretty petty. So I appreciate you guys not just brushing it off as being dumb.

(((((((Hugs)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-09-18), Lunacie (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 05:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,189 Times in 14,310 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The thing with people like that is, eventually others will see him in the same light. You cant be the only one annoyed by him.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 09:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

Quote:
Wow, this puts a whole new perspective on things for sure!
I'll give it some time and see how things develop...and I'll do so with a more open mind now, thinking that maybe he's not being rude, but rather he's just super nervous.

And thanks everyone for all the replies and for taking this serious lol. I felt kinda silly for asking this question as I was typing it, cause it seemed pretty petty. So I appreciate you guys not just brushing it off as being dumb.

(((((((Hugs)))))))
I think you're cutting yourself short. I love the way you speak your mind and same goes for your openness to look at things from different perspectives. It's always easier to give advice while you're not in the middel of things, but i for sure can relate to you being triggered by this and post it as a question. And now i want to hug you too :group hug:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), Lunacie (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 12:23 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey Psych, I feel everything in that situation is not only extremely nuanced, but too complex for me to evaluate well enough to make specific comments. Would trying to put yourself in the other persons shoes give you insights on how to proceed? I'm just thinking this other guy isn't there because all is going well for him and he is just killing time. He is trying to work issues, isn't sure how to, and he joined the group for some help. OTOH if after some time, his actions continue to impair your ability to function in the group, you will need to address it. Whether one-on-one in private or an open group discussion on how to deal w/ interpersonal issues that impair the group's functioning will be your call at the time. The one thing that seems to me that would cause problems is trying to solve the problem of the other guy without involving the other guy up-front. (e.g. Talking to others about the other guy.) -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hey Psych, I feel everything in that situation is not only extremely nuanced, but too complex for me to evaluate well enough to make specific comments. Would trying to put yourself in the other persons shoes give you insights on how to proceed? I'm just thinking this other guy isn't there because all is going well for him and he is just killing time. He is trying to work issues, isn't sure how to, and he joined the group for some help. OTOH if after some time, his actions continue to impair your ability to function in the group, you will need to address it. Whether one-on-one in private or an open group discussion on how to deal w/ interpersonal issues that impair the group's functioning will be your call at the time. The one thing that seems to me that would cause problems is trying to solve the problem of the other guy without involving the other guy up-front. (e.g. Talking to others about the other guy.) -LN
Thanks a lot Little. and yes...putting myself in his shoes would help me out here.
I also forget and have to remember...that I've been in the mental health system (therapy and groups) since I was a kid. I've had many years of talk therapy and have been in some increadibly close groups who I've been able to really open up to about some seriously deep things I'd never open up to with anyone else.
So...doing groups like this and being open and honest and genuine...it just comes natural to me.
I don't know this guy's past and his history...but he's probably not quite as experienced as I am with this kind of stuff. He must be incredibly nervous and uncomfortable.
He also seems like the kind of guy who's come from a place where it hasn't been real safe to be an emotional kinda guy.

I'll give it another week...try to ease up on him and try to be more understanding.
If things are still bugging me, I'll talk to one of the people who run the group in private...see what they've got to say.

Thanks a lot guys!

(((((((MOM)))))))

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-10-18), Kaia.S (03-09-18), Lunacie (03-09-18), midnightstar (03-09-18)