ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-18, 12:02 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,856 Times in 672 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Quitting smoking

I have quit smoking uncountable times over the last years, often for months, sometimes for weeks, and at other times just for a few days.

Now I have quit smoking for 2.5 day and I have the worst cravings right now. However, I really don't want to give in. I realize that smoking does not make sense for me at all. I want to become a great triathlete. I want to stay healthy
and strong for a long time and enjoy my life. I want to be free from addiction. I want to be attractive, and smoking does not help me there.

So, I have chosen to ride this out. This discomfort is only temporary. Will have dinner at my hotel, then read a book and then I will go for a 5k run. That is my plan. There won't be any smoking.

I know that I can procrastinate the quitting forever, but I will regret it so badly if I would get something like lung cancer. Or if I will have sabotaged my fitness for many times that I will never reach my peak in my sport. I am fooling myself by saying that I will quit 'after this package'. That is not happening. I should quit now. That means that I should go through this discomfort now, which I think is at it's worst right now, it will only get better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (10-09-18), lisariver (10-09-18), namazu (10-09-18), psychopathetic (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 12:26 PM

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Quitting smoking

You can do this...here's where you can use adhd to your advantage...don't let your mind settle on even an inkling of a thought of smoking, if it goes there,

quickly divert your attention to something else,

carrots, celery, a deep breath, the wind through the trees, that item you lost that you're still looking for, just don't allow yourself contemplate, or talk to yourself about it. Keep doing this. And don't be foolish enough to think you can have just one. All of this will pass, soon it won't even cross your mind...
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-18)
Old 10-09-18, 02:30 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,260 Times in 14,932 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Jack- I am not there yet.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 04:33 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,053 Times in 7,497 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome job Jack!

A HUGE thing that helped me early on (I'm over 8 years smoke free now!) was having a place online with other quitters...I'd post often telling them how bad my cravings were...and I'd always get sympathetic responses. Really helped me ride things out.
What helped even more though...is all the times I was there for others...when I was the one giving them support in their struggles. That REALLY helped me to stay committed to my quit.

The site I was part of is Quitnet. It's completely different then it use to be....but it's still amazing!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Last edited by namazu; 10-09-18 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: No links to commercial sites or other communities -- see ADDF guidelines.
The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-09-18)
Old 10-14-18, 02:51 PM
Forum Guru

Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

I relapsed between posting my last post, but I got to 24 hours again and it's evening, so I will definitely reach 36 hours without much temptation, since there are no shops open here. However, I will feel discomfortable, that is just how it is. I will try to deal with this in the following way:

- Lots of exercise every day, sometimes twice per day.
- Meditation!
- Lots of coffee, sometimes tea.
- Telling myself 'this will pass', which usually happens within a few minutes.
- Remembering the benefits that accumulate while quitting smoking. Less health risks, greater endurance, better taste, etc.
- Set a goal that inspires me: to run a 5k within 15 minutes. I am a very fast runner (even though I am also naturally muscular - I guess I got lucky with the genetic lottery) and plan to train harder and smarter than ever. Smoking reduced my endurance by about 30%, as I have seen before. I want to be strong and active, so smoking has no place in my life.

They say that quitting smoking is one of the biggest positive changes that you can make in your habits. Smoking affects so many things negatively, both on the short and the long term, and so quitting it is a big step forward. I will gladly take it now, it's tough at the moment but it will be easy soon.
Old 10-14-18, 11:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,009 Times in 595 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

To quit smoking try hypnosis. If you really want to quit, it will work
Old 10-15-18, 09:53 AM
Forum Guru

Thanks, will remember it for next attempt, if it is necessary.

Right now I am doing fine. Having strong urges to smoke right now, but I am just going to wait until it passes. I do have a free choice. It's been 44 hours since my last cigarette, so it makes sense that I still have such intense cravings. However, I won't forget: this too shall pass!

My throat, nose and lungs feel painful and I have to cough a lot. A sign that they have suffered a lot and that that the healing process has started.

I know that this can last for many weeks, or months even. However, it's still only temporary, it may get worse at first but then it will get better over time.

Can't wait for this too heal, but the good thing is that if I just keep training that I will become stronger every day, and the fact that I was smoking has reduced me endurance considerably, but that now it will mean that my endurance will grow at twice the speed!

By the way, the day before yesterday (when I was still smoking) I went running (after not having done that for a while) and it was going very well. All around me people were commenting like 'that man is so fast!' and I wasn't even pushing myself to my limits.

Will try to do a 5k every month to see how fast I can do it. I think <15 minutes is possible before the end of winter!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-15-18)
Old 10-15-18, 11:38 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Jack have you ever tried nicotine replacement therapy? When I was successful I used gum. The patches gave me intense dreams.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-15-18, 11:48 AM
Forum Guru

No, I don't think they are useful for me, because while the first weeks-months (which I think the nicotine replacement is for) are awful, I have survived them many times and I am willing to suffer for a while. The problem comes later when I have a weak moment and I relapse. Not out of nicotine addiction, but due to something psychological or circumstancial. Without exception, either alcohol, boredom and/or stress are a part of this (or all of these).

Which is why I am minimizing my alcohol intake (I have decided that not drinking is too strict, but I plan to almost never drink) and I am working with a psychologist on my other issues (she doesn't help me quit smoking (she doesn't even know I do, it's not relevant), but still it helps to deal with my internal issues).
Old 10-16-18, 10:14 AM
Forum Guru

almost 72 hours! Some interesting facts about this point in time:

Found this on a website:

Quote:
How Long Do Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms Last?

Nicotine is out of your body 72 hours after you quit smoking. Nicotine withdrawal symptoms usually reach their peak 2 to 3 days after you quit, and are gone within 1 to 3 months.(1) It takes at least 3 months for your brain chemistry to return to normal after you quit smoking.(2) The last two symptoms to go usually are irritability and low energy.
So, the worst is over, at least psychologically, though the coming months there will still be mental effects. I plan to compensate this by exercising almost every day and by making sure that I don't do any volunteer work that is not fulfilling in my free time (so that I have time to relax).

I feel quite awful now by the way, which is ok (it's not like I am going for a smoke or anything, even though my body is asking for it right now, it will quit doing so in a few minutes). I don't have to feel great. It's just a sensation in my body and I can ignore it. I do plan to take a nap, I think that is a good idea.
Old 10-17-18, 11:14 AM
Forum Guru

I write these posts mostly for myself, but if anyone is reading this, hi there!

Well, I quit smoking 4 days ago and it's going fine. I still feel jittery, easily irritated, I have trouble sleeping (and I have intense dreams) and it's harder to focus. Quitting smoking is not the only cause for all of this, but it's certainly a big one.

Anyway, the nice thing is that this is temporary. As I wrote yesterday, on day 3 the psychological effects maxed (an estimation based on research) and I can expect this effect to stop over the coming weeks and months.

At the same time, there are the physical effects, and I notice those too. I have to cough and sneeze quite a lot, but it's not as bad as it was previous times I quit. It helps that I already quit for 3 weeks until a month ago, so I only smoked for a month - I think I smoked about 10 packages, which is not nothing (and I was addicted for sure), but it could definitely be worse. I can look forward to my lungs clearing. I hope that I won't gain too much weight (or better, that I continue to lose a bit), but I don't feel powerless against that threat.

That said, I will change my clothes and go for a run NOW!
Old 10-17-18, 11:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Please tell me when all is said and done that you will be a life coach.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (10-17-18)
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM
Forum Guru

Ha I would love that! Why do you suggest I do that? but yeah I do secretly wish to have a positive impact on people's lives (and live well myself), I sometimes dream of doing a master in psychology.

Anyways, day five and still no smokes! I woke up many times tonight and now it's 6 am. Still feel rested. I am going for a run now, and I will go ice skating this evening. I notice that exercise really reduces my desire to smoke and it increases my willpower and motivation.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Forum Guru

Alright. It's day 6 now of quitting smoking. Or night 6, becaue it's 2:45 am right now. I went to bed really early, around six hours ago, but expected to be able to sleep. May get out of bed and do some reading or chores, and try again sleep in in one or two hours. Anyways, not smoking is very going well. I experience fewer cravings, even though I have been at some tempting situations (supermarket, gas station, restaurant), it wasn't too hard not to smoke. So, that is good. It helps that my lungs, nose and throat are still a bit painful and clogged and I strongly desire for them to heal, more than the short high that a cigarette can give me.

That's an interesting topic to get into. Because the number one reason that I smoked is that it could calm me down. I should look for other strategies to accomplish that. Something to talk about with my psychologist.

One unhealthy way I do this is by spending time on my computer. It was much worse in the past though, but I will work on this. However, I will give myself time, there's more important stuff to work on right now.

Speaking about quitting stuff, it's now day 2 of not drinking alcohol. Even though it's not an addiction, it is quite a challenge to quit, but since I am serious about my sports (and alcohol slows muscle recovery and consists of mainly empty calories) and alcohol can lead me to do stupid things (such as smoking), I am willing to put in the effort of avoiding alcohol, at least for a while.
Old Today, 01:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

I have to admit I am afraid of stopping smoking. I am an alcoholic and stopping drinking was extremely dangerous for me and torture. You would think I have enough time under my belt that I could tackle smoking but my irrational fears of having no crutch to cope with make me afraid I will drink again.

I carried a watermelon?