ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 01-28-20, 05:30 PM
Jr Member

Bimsybims is on a distinguished road
Probably ADD

Hi everyone!

Long story short: I did an evaluation when I was 20yo and then misunderstood what the doctors told me. I thought I didn't qualify for a diagnosis but it turns out (13 years later) that I did!

They diagnosed me with ADHD but I feel more at home with ADD as I am pretty inactive, sometimes shy and have a hard time making new friends. (among other things).

I started digging around in my mental evaluations because I wanted an answer to why I always become depressed.
Things get a little overwhelming at times, especially now when I am studying math (and also have dyscalculia!)

I really want to be able to concentrate and finish my math class so that I can go on and become a physiotherapist. So now I'm thinking about medication that might help me and hopefully won't clash with my SSRI's that I'm already on.

It would be helpful to know if any of you have had good results with studying on medication?
Except for my sociallife my life is pretty ordinary, I can manage my household and appointments just fine. It's just that I can't seem to get any homework done and I really need to do this so I can get a proper work education and do adult life properly!

I've felt so bad about myself through life since I've failed so many times at so many things. It would be magical if there could be a way I could be different and actually DO THINGS and meet people instead of living inside my own head all the time!
I need a life and I need a proper job,do you think it's possible?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bimsybims For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-28-20)
Old 01-29-20, 04:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,200 Times in 15,402 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Probably ADD

Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimsybims View Post
Hi everyone!

They diagnosed me with ADHD but I feel more at home with ADD as I am pretty inactive, sometimes shy and have a hard time making new friends. (among other things).
It used to be that adhd and add were separate but now they fall under the same umbrella. There also used to be subsets. ADHD-H for hyperactive, ADHD PI for primarily inattentive and ADHD C for combined. I am not sure if they still use those guidelines but I tend to believe that most people fall under combined. When you are an adult the H part of adhd doesnt have to be physical hyperactivity it can be mental hyperactivity.
Quote:

It would be helpful to know if any of you have had good results with studying on medication?
Except for my sociallife my life is pretty ordinary, I can manage my household and appointments just fine. It's just that I can't seem to get any homework done and I really need to do this so I can get a proper work education and do adult life properly!
Is your adhd severe enough to need medication to help in all areas of your life? I am not saying studying isnt important its just that using adhd meds purely for studying is looking at it more as a performance enhancer when adhd is pervasive and chronic and in order to have a diagnosis it has to affect multiple areas of your life. Is it just studying you have trouble with?
Quote:
I've felt so bad about myself through life since I've failed so many times at so many things. It would be magical if there could be a way I could be different and actually DO THINGS and meet people instead of living inside my own head all the time!
I need a life and I need a proper job,do you think it's possible?
I think with medication many people with adhd have a good chance at a decent life. I have severe adhd and the hyperactivity has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I am an absolute hazard without my medication. I have been on adhd meds for about 14 years.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-30-20, 06:44 AM
Jr Member

Bimsybims is on a distinguished road

Thanks for answering, Sarahsweets!

Honestly I don't know exactly how my ADHD/ADD impacts my life since I've more or less always been like this.
Lots of new starts and efforts to try and find something to stick to and build my life on, this time it's studies but I feel like I am failing that too.

If medication could help me stick with one course in life and keep me from falling into depression all the time that would be awesome.
I had a job for 4 years but I felt I wanted to get somewhere and have more choices in life than working as a night receptionist and being lonely all the time.

I easily get overwhelmed and depressed so it would be nice if I could find a way to be more resilient, maybe through meds- I don't know.
I don't want to expect too much and be disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bimsybims For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-30-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-20, 11:12 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I would think that when a person takes something for their ADHD itself, it should help with their education also. But what do I know? I got my degree without any ADHD medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-31-20)