ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 02-01-20, 10:03 AM
Jr Member

Bimsybims is on a distinguished road
Stuck!

I really need to study but I feel stuck, what do you guys do when you get stuck and can't bring yourself to do what needs to be done?

I'm trying to find good books and podcasts about ADHD but they all make me feel bad and defected.

I just want to know what to do, I feel exhausted and frustrated with myself..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bimsybims For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-01-20), Greyhound1 (02-02-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), namazu (02-01-20)
Old 02-01-20, 02:48 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,654 Times in 10,925 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stuck!

Sometimes when I just need to break out of being stuck, I:

- Change my location (sit somewhere else in the house, or a library, or a quiet cafe).

- Put on some music (music I can study to rather than be distracted by).

- Set a timer for 5 minutes and commit to doing a task for only 5 minutes. I can handle 5 minutes of almost anything -- and sometimes once I get over the hurdle of starting, I can continue more easily. If not, at least I've done 5 minutes' worth of work!

- Find a friend (here, via Facebook, or in person) who also needs to get something done, and we promise to go work for 20-30 minutes and check in with each other, to be accountable to someone.

- Clean up. I know it is also a common procrastination strategy, but I find I can think more clearly if there is less clutter to look at. (Note: This one doesn't work so well when what I am stuck about is cleaning!)

- For studying, sometimes working in a group can help. I find it helpful to try to explain concepts to people to make sure I understand them well (or get corrected if I don't!),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-01-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), stef (02-02-20)
Old 02-01-20, 04:35 PM

Marjatta is on a distinguished road

The timer is a good thing!

I hate studying with others though. It never worked. (That could be due to my social disabilities that maybe are more autistic/aspie than ADD)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marjatta For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-01-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), namazu (02-01-20), Rebelyell (02-01-20), stef (02-02-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-20, 05:11 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,654 Times in 10,925 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjatta View Post
The timer is a good thing!

I hate studying with others though. It never worked. (That could be due to my social disabilities that maybe are more autistic/aspie than ADD)
Yeah. It also may depend a lot on who the others are!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-02-20), stef (02-02-20)
Old 02-01-20, 05:17 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

if i am in a comfortable place(which i feel loose) , i change place
if there is some kind of mental fagitue, i drink coffee and smoke cigarette
if what i study is not big deal ,i study while listenning music

if all above doesnt work , i take a IR medicine(ritalin) immediately as a boost
sometimes it is my first choice when topic that i study is very big deal (needs lots of attention)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (02-02-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), namazu (02-01-20), stef (02-02-20)
Old 02-01-20, 07:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,956 Times in 6,239 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I'm in same boat to study for a license I need for work and the motorvation as I like to call it besides perseverance.just isn't there
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-01-20), Emre22 (02-02-20), Little Missy (02-02-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), namazu (02-01-20), stef (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 03:38 AM

Thanked 27,651 Times in 13,374 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I *really* need to get a bit of work done this morning. I have to at the very least, send a couple of emails. I work much better from a library, cafe etc - so I'm going to the mall because i also thought it might be interesting to get some little stamps and an inkpad.
(because my business cards are too sober and i don't have time to get new ones before this conference next week and well this idea may suck, but now I want stamps and an inkpad either way).

so anyway, doing a funner thing related to the task really helps me get going.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (02-02-20), Greyhound1 (02-02-20), Little Missy (02-02-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), namazu (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 04:03 AM

Thanked 22,761 Times in 12,225 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Sober business cards. First good laugh in a long time.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (02-02-20), mildadhd (02-02-20), stef (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 01:53 PM

Thanked 27,651 Times in 13,374 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Sober business cards. First good laugh in a long time.
Oh dear. Plain!

Also, that plan backfired because I left too late, didn't actually find the knd of stamps I wanted and didn't get any work done until after lunch.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 04:01 PM

Thanked 22,761 Times in 12,225 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, that is how I read sober as; plain.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
stef (02-02-20)
Old 02-04-20, 04:37 PM
Jr Member

Bimsybims is on a distinguished road

It seems we always have to work around feeling stuck I guess, nice to know I'm not the only one struggling.
And I can also find it helpful to explain what I just learned to someone else, if I'm alone I tend to speak out loud as if I'm teaching someone.
Right now I'm studying math and I also have dyscalculia so it's not great. (In fact I get anxious as soon as I open my books right now)

I can't wait until 10/02 when I get to see my doctor! I will finally tell him that I want to try neuroleptica, probably elvanse or something.
I'm hoping it's going to get my brain on track because I've been REALLY stuck regarding math for a while...
Hopefully I'll be able to focus and not be so emotional as soon as I don't get it on the first try.