ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-20, 05:48 PM

flipnfly8 is on a distinguished road
Can you "turn off" your brain for bed?

I'll start off quickly just saying there's a lot of and and tears going on in my life right now. Not going into the sob story cause I don't think I can fully face it even if I did have time to write it all down.

Regardless, even in the best of times, I struggle with winding down before bed. I cannot seem to break this habit. I'll do well for a while, but if ADHD does anything, it is ensures that I am inconsistent. But right now is not the best of times and I REALLY need to get more and consistent sleep. And it is a serious struggle. So I will take any and all advice here.

Yes, I can try a hot bath, reading (hello hyper-focus), watching a show (either I'm too pulled in or I'm not engaged enough to let go of the day), etc. I actually think a workout in the evening would be really good for me but I'm dealing with some health issues there. I also don't just want to medicate my way to sleep for a while to get on a good schedule because I've already increased the amount of meds I take for various things a lot in the last year.

I don't remember where I heard it recently, but someone said something about how our brains at the end of the day are so wound up because they are trying to finish/close out all the conversations, thoughts, and tasks we did that day. It kind of makes sense. So that leads me to think journaling might be a way out of this. But that sounds so daunting right now.

What's even more infuriating is I used to be able to do this - years ago when I was working on swing shifts. I was the master of winding down and sleeping on command on a schedule. But that was before marriage and kids and engaging futuristic work. Basically, the good stuff in life. So I don't think I can "go back" but only forward. Trouble is, I'm lost and don't know where that forward is.

Please help? Anything you've got. I'm feeling pretty low so I'm thinking I'm down to try almost anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flipnfly8 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (02-11-20), Greyhound1 (02-13-20), namazu (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,015 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you "turn off" your brain for bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnfly8 View Post
I'll start off quickly just saying there's a lot of and and tears going on in my life right now. Not going into the sob story cause I don't think I can fully face it even if I did have time to write it all down.

Regardless, even in the best of times, I struggle with winding down before bed. I cannot seem to break this habit. I'll do well for a while, but if ADHD does anything, it is ensures that I am inconsistent. But right now is not the best of times and I REALLY need to get more and consistent sleep. And it is a serious struggle. So I will take any and all advice here.

Yes, I can try a hot bath, reading (hello hyper-focus), watching a show (either I'm too pulled in or I'm not engaged enough to let go of the day), etc. I actually think a workout in the evening would be really good for me but I'm dealing with some health issues there. I also don't just want to medicate my way to sleep for a while to get on a good schedule because I've already increased the amount of meds I take for various things a lot in the last year.

I don't remember where I heard it recently, but someone said something about how our brains at the end of the day are so wound up because they are trying to finish/close out all the conversations, thoughts, and tasks we did that day. It kind of makes sense. So that leads me to think journaling might be a way out of this. But that sounds so daunting right now.

What's even more infuriating is I used to be able to do this - years ago when I was working on swing shifts. I was the master of winding down and sleeping on command on a schedule. But that was before marriage and kids and engaging futuristic work. Basically, the good stuff in life. So I don't think I can "go back" but only forward. Trouble is, I'm lost and don't know where that forward is.

Please help? Anything you've got. I'm feeling pretty low so I'm thinking I'm down to try almost anything.
Meditation will work if you get some decent instruction, and are prepared to give it about 6-8 weeks of consistent practice. The advantage is that once learned, this is a long term fix- and will generally work well any time you use it.
It is perfectly possible for us ADDers to do it.

In the short term progressive muscle relaxation exercises work well- they usually take about 20 minutes to do.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 02-11-20, 11:58 PM

Thanked 28,047 Times in 13,506 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried ASMR sleep videos?
you can find them on youtube
for example,.someone reading in a very soft voice with rain in the background
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-20, 12:49 PM

madmax988 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I cannot seem to break this habit. I'll do well for a while, but if ADHD does anything, it is ensures that I am inconsistent. But right now is not the best of times and I REALLY need to get more and consistent sleep. And it is a serious struggle.

I have struggled for years with the same issue. Now rely on meds to help me sleep. I also had issues with recurrent nightmares and kept me awake for a while in the middle of the night.meds help with all this.could be some unresolved PTSD maybe..
Old 02-13-20, 11:44 PM

flipnfly8 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response on meditation and muscle relaxation. I admit those sound a bit daunting but anything worth doing isn't necessarily going to be easy. MI just decided to sign up for Fitbit Premium (might be a waste but who knows) and there are some pre-sleep meditation things I can try out.

The ASMR is definitely new on me - I had never heard about it. While it seems a bit out there to me, I said anything and I'm willing to try. I'm going to give meditation a go first and then might try some of those youtube videos.

I also appreciate the meds helping response because I know that works for some, including my husband. That is still a last resort to me as I am very sensitive to meds (thank God my Concerta still works great) with a half dozen allergies under my belt plus if there are weird side effects, I get them. So trying to steer clear of meds until I can't anymore.

Thanks again for the responses! Getting sleep for me has not been easy - I have cold temperature requirements (with the corresponding heavy and warm blanket) but in the winter achieving that temperature generally takes a window cracked...which then effects my sinuses/coughing. Sigh. Plus I apparently now have right shoulder issues so I'm stuck sleeping on my left side. Like I said - sob story. And that's just a part of it. But if I can get some relaxation and turn my brain off, it will help me heal so that's the first step. Assuming I don't ADHD forget in a week or two, I'll post some trial/error success/failure stories.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipnfly8 For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20, 06:30 PM

Marjatta is on a distinguished road

For me, listening to something helps. Not music, that makes me way too active. A podcast that I have already listened too, with familiar voices, are perfect.
Old 02-14-20, 11:29 PM

Thanked 12,116 Times in 6,281 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

No unless I'm totally exhausted
Old 02-15-20, 08:47 AM

Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,015 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This takes time to master, and it is not a quick fix- but the real answer is to get your mind to pay attention to your body rather than the verbal chit chat.

Using a progressive muscle relaxation audio recording, one that takes 20-25 minutes, is very helpful- because it keeps dragging your attention back to your body. Even the dedicated ADDer struggles to get past that.

Using these things is a skill, and you will be rewarded for your persistence.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 02-17-20, 05:33 PM
Jr Member

Bimsybims is on a distinguished road

You could definitley journal, just click open a word document and write whatever comes to mind. If you can't get the words right just throw them down: anger! upset, stressed, sad, confused, chair, lamp.. and so on.

I don't know if anyone else feels this but creatine has a tiring effect on me, it's supposed to pump you up before workouts but I get slow and tired.
So I use that to my advantage some times (watch out though as it makes you awfully thirsty!)

Melatonin helps a bit but I suppose you might already know that.

Camomile tea can do a little something combined with all the other stuff.

Sometimes I find that health stuff makes my brain race more than it should. I recently realised that I was magnesium deficient because I take vitamin- D supplements that needs magnesium to break down. (also vitamin K)
So sometimes you gotta check up on all that stuff I suppose, a lot of things can make you anxious!