ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1891  
Old 11-05-18, 11:32 PM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 10,408
Thanks: 29,466
Thanked 15,371 Times in 7,648 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

I'm getting real sick of the ups and downs of my bipolar.

No...let me take that back.

I'm getting real sick of the downs of my bipolar.

I love the ups.
__________________


(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-06-18)
  #1892  
Old 11-06-18, 12:59 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,168
Thanks: 5,744
Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Because I am paying for part of my adderall out of pocket because my stupid insurance company doesnt want to cover it I had a lapse. So I resumed today and whenever I start up again I always have insomnia for one night. Tonight is the insomnia night.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-06-18), psychopathetic (11-06-18)
  #1893  
Old 11-06-18, 01:06 AM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 10,408
Thanks: 29,466
Thanked 15,371 Times in 7,648 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Hi Sweets. It's nice to see you. Sorry you're having issues sleeping tonight

(((Sleepless Sweets)))
__________________


(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #1894  
Old 11-06-18, 01:50 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,168
Thanks: 5,744
Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Hi Sweets. It's nice to see you. Sorry you're having issues sleeping tonight

(((Sleepless Sweets)))
What about you psycho? How is your sleep? I wish we could chat on this forum so the other insomniacs and I could talk lol.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (11-06-18)
  #1895  
Old 11-06-18, 01:47 PM
Rebelyell's Avatar
Rebelyell Rebelyell is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Somerset NJ
Posts: 10,301
Thanks: 6,267
Thanked 10,939 Times in 5,874 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

I'm feeling like a lost soul today
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-06-18), namazu (11-06-18), psychopathetic (11-06-18), tudorose (11-07-18)
  #1896  
Old 11-06-18, 10:50 PM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 10,408
Thanks: 29,466
Thanked 15,371 Times in 7,648 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Finally had a good group today!

I've been getting quite upset in my group I go to twice a week lately. I've been becoming vocal about it.
It was getting to a point where I felt like I was the only one who was willing to face the truth that the group has been falling apart...and like I was a bad guy for doing so...especially because I was so frank with my words and opinions on it. I didn't beat around any bushes.

Anyhow...one of the members in the group has been away for awhile for some medical issues but was there today.

I started group by telling everyone that I wanted to bring something to group. Told them how I've been getting pretty negative in the group, have been starting lots of heated discussions, and have been calling people out lately pretty harshly...
To the point where I've been wondering if I'm bad for the group as a whole. Like maybe I was bringing the group down.
So I asked them if they thought maybe I should take a break from the group for awhile.

The girl who's been away for awhile was awesome.
She flat out said no...and she meant it. There was real power in her 'no'.
She then said that it's not that I'm negative...it's that the group has become very negative. In fact she said that she told the lady who runs the group that if things don't start changing, she's going to permanently leave group.

It felt AWESOME to finally have someone on my side! Omg!! I'm SO sick of feeling like I'm the only one who's seeing the elephant in the room.

So we spent about an hour talking about the group...and ways we can all go about working through this rut we're in...the future does look quite bright for the group.

Also...the other guy who runs the group (my old case manager)...said he doesn't view me as "negative"...he thinks of me as being critical. That's a MUCH better word for what I've been. I've been very critical with the way group's been going, and with some of the members. I'm not being negative or bad or anything of the sort!

It was just a very productive group...and it felt so great to have the lady back in group...it really felt like I had someone in my corner on this, and that means the world to me.

...
Group has been tough...there's been some ups and downs...
But I'm still going. I haven't missed a group in months.
And now I'm hopeful for the future. And I can breath knowing that I've now got a second voice who's willing to speak out with me and face the truth.

I'm not crazy! I'm not imagining this crap! lol >.<'
__________________


(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-07-18), Greyhound1 (11-07-18), Lunacie (11-07-18), midnightstar (11-07-18), namazu (11-06-18), Rebelyell (11-07-18)
  #1897  
Old 11-07-18, 02:27 AM
Fuzzy12's Avatar
Fuzzy12 Fuzzy12 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,100
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32,532
Thanked 30,348 Times in 13,984 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Finally had a good group today!

I've been getting quite upset in my group I go to twice a week lately. I've been becoming vocal about it.
It was getting to a point where I felt like I was the only one who was willing to face the truth that the group has been falling apart...and like I was a bad guy for doing so...especially because I was so frank with my words and opinions on it. I didn't beat around any bushes.

Anyhow...one of the members in the group has been away for awhile for some medical issues but was there today.

I started group by telling everyone that I wanted to bring something to group. Told them how I've been getting pretty negative in the group, have been starting lots of heated discussions, and have been calling people out lately pretty harshly...
To the point where I've been wondering if I'm bad for the group as a whole. Like maybe I was bringing the group down.
So I asked them if they thought maybe I should take a break from the group for awhile.

The girl who's been away for awhile was awesome.
She flat out said no...and she meant it. There was real power in her 'no'.
She then said that it's not that I'm negative...it's that the group has become very negative. In fact she said that she told the lady who runs the group that if things don't start changing, she's going to permanently leave group.

It felt AWESOME to finally have someone on my side! Omg!! I'm SO sick of feeling like I'm the only one who's seeing the elephant in the room.

So we spent about an hour talking about the group...and ways we can all go about working through this rut we're in...the future does look quite bright for the group.

Also...the other guy who runs the group (my old case manager)...said he doesn't view me as "negative"...he thinks of me as being critical. That's a MUCH better word for what I've been. I've been very critical with the way group's been going, and with some of the members. I'm not being negative or bad or anything of the sort!

It was just a very productive group...and it felt so great to have the lady back in group...it really felt like I had someone in my corner on this, and that means the world to me.

...
Group has been tough...there's been some ups and downs...
But I'm still going. I haven't missed a group in months.
And now I'm hopeful for the future. And I can breath knowing that I've now got a second voice who's willing to speak out with me and face the truth.

I'm not crazy! I'm not imagining this crap! lol >.<'
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (11-07-18)
  #1898  
Old 11-07-18, 02:30 AM
midnightstar's Avatar
midnightstar midnightstar is offline
Purriendly feline moderator
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,146
Blog Entries: 10
Thanks: 18,491
Thanked 22,816 Times in 13,482 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

(((((psycho)))))
__________________
Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29th August 2014 - 17th October 2014)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (11-07-18)
  #1899  
Old 11-07-18, 11:53 AM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 19,374
Thanks: 20,750
Thanked 26,075 Times in 12,165 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

psycho

That's an important difference, critical or negative.

I'm glad your group leader was able to see the difference in your complaint.

I think the fact that you keep going back and asking for changes says you
believe the group is helpful but could be so much more helpful.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (11-07-18)
  #1900  
Old 11-07-18, 07:19 PM
tudorose's Avatar
tudorose tudorose is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oz
Posts: 4,095
Thanks: 4,819
Thanked 5,087 Times in 2,217 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

I feel so depressed today and I don't know why
__________________
Half human, Half alien
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-07-18), Lunacie (11-07-18), namazu (11-07-18), psychopathetic (11-07-18)
  #1901  
Old 11-07-18, 09:20 PM
willow129's Avatar
willow129 willow129 is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 2,727
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 2,221
Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,986 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Parent is clearly ****** that I had her kid go to time out. Unfortunately this is politically a really really difficult situation, to have this particular parent have kids who misbehave at times. She says she is uncomfortable with her kid going to time out in music class. Kids sit out when they misbehave...I can't say I'm never going to sit anyone out if they misbehave, what am I supposed to do? I give them reminders before we go to time out, it's not like I suddenly kick them out. The aid (when I asked her am I being too much of a Nazi, BEFORE I had even gotten an email from mom) told me that same day that the kids were walking all over me and that I needed to sit them out. She knows these kids well, and is also a mom of 2 of the kids in the school, I definitely trust her judgement. I mean, the PreK teachers sit kids out who aren't following directions! They're 3 year olds...I think a 6 year old can expect that as a logical consequence.
But I really do feel so confused. Parent wants to know why I sat him out. I teach 8 classes on Tuesdays. I think I remember, but I'm not sure I remember exactly what happened. I think that it started with him running across the room with a drum, and I told him, go back and walk and do that safely please, he ran again (he understood, he thought it was funny), and I said, go back and *walk*, reminder to follow directions. And I don't remember what was next, but, that's where it started.
I know he didn't sit out for the whole class....She questions whether or not his behavior was actually inappropriate for someone his age. I can say that in general the student imitates the 2 kids in the class who DO have conditions that impact learning - not crazy severe or anything, but they can manifest in ways that look kind of behavioral or kind of silly, and it's difficult and we're still trying to figure out what to do for them. But they'll do their thing, and he will copy them. He is seeing what will happen if he does that. He has also copied me, like, I had a cough a couple weeks ago, and he was imitating me coughing...and then he was imitating a girl in the class who had a cough later on, like, in a making fun of kind of way...at least that's how it seemed to me, and the aid too. (I told him what he was doing was rude obviously, and had him apologize.) That particular thing surprised me. I'm making him sound kind of horrible, he's actually not, but he's absolutely testing his boundaries right now. And beside those 2 kids, the rest of the kids in the class, *including* this child, don't have any issues to impede learning or ability to follow directions. And, all the other kids in the class (aside from the 2 with the learning/behavioral concerns) except for her child, DO actually follow my directions. So, like, yeah, if I didn't think his behavior was inappropriate, I wouldn't give him reminders and I wouldn't have him sit out.
It feels horrible that she is questioning my judgement. And I feel kind of insulted. And I feel defensive. And, considering the politics involved as well, I think it's inappropriate for her to write something like this. I'm not treating him any differently than I would treat any other kid. She says she wants me to email her every time I sit either of her 2 kids out. She says she feels collecting data is helpful.

God. I give the kids time outs. Just fire me already. I'll go do something else and you can have a different music teacher at long last.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-07-18), midnightstar (11-08-18)
  #1902  
Old 11-07-18, 09:50 PM
Little Missy's Avatar
Little Missy Little Missy is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BIG, Wonderful, Wyoming USA
Posts: 15,771
Thanks: 23,430
Thanked 21,508 Times in 11,538 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

__________________
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you are uncool ~ Lester Bangs

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-07-18)
  #1903  
Old 11-07-18, 10:42 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 19,374
Thanks: 20,750
Thanked 26,075 Times in 12,165 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow129 View Post
Parent is clearly ****** that I had her kid go to time out. Unfortunately this is politically a really really difficult situation, to have this particular parent have kids who misbehave at times. She says she is uncomfortable with her kid going to time out in music class. Kids sit out when they misbehave...I can't say I'm never going to sit anyone out if they misbehave, what am I supposed to do? I give them reminders before we go to time out, it's not like I suddenly kick them out. The aid (when I asked her am I being too much of a Nazi, BEFORE I had even gotten an email from mom) told me that same day that the kids were walking all over me and that I needed to sit them out. She knows these kids well, and is also a mom of 2 of the kids in the school, I definitely trust her judgement. I mean, the PreK teachers sit kids out who aren't following directions! They're 3 year olds...I think a 6 year old can expect that as a logical consequence.
But I really do feel so confused. Parent wants to know why I sat him out. I teach 8 classes on Tuesdays. I think I remember, but I'm not sure I remember exactly what happened. I think that it started with him running across the room with a drum, and I told him, go back and walk and do that safely please, he ran again (he understood, he thought it was funny), and I said, go back and *walk*, reminder to follow directions. And I don't remember what was next, but, that's where it started.
I know he didn't sit out for the whole class....She questions whether or not his behavior was actually inappropriate for someone his age. I can say that in general the student imitates the 2 kids in the class who DO have conditions that impact learning - not crazy severe or anything, but they can manifest in ways that look kind of behavioral or kind of silly, and it's difficult and we're still trying to figure out what to do for them. But they'll do their thing, and he will copy them. He is seeing what will happen if he does that. He has also copied me, like, I had a cough a couple weeks ago, and he was imitating me coughing...and then he was imitating a girl in the class who had a cough later on, like, in a making fun of kind of way...at least that's how it seemed to me, and the aid too. (I told him what he was doing was rude obviously, and had him apologize.) That particular thing surprised me. I'm making him sound kind of horrible, he's actually not, but he's absolutely testing his boundaries right now. And beside those 2 kids, the rest of the kids in the class, *including* this child, don't have any issues to impede learning or ability to follow directions. And, all the other kids in the class (aside from the 2 with the learning/behavioral concerns) except for her child, DO actually follow my directions. So, like, yeah, if I didn't think his behavior was inappropriate, I wouldn't give him reminders and I wouldn't have him sit out.
It feels horrible that she is questioning my judgement. And I feel kind of insulted. And I feel defensive. And, considering the politics involved as well, I think it's inappropriate for her to write something like this. I'm not treating him any differently than I would treat any other kid. She says she wants me to email her every time I sit either of her 2 kids out. She says she feels collecting data is helpful.

God. I give the kids time outs. Just fire me already. I'll go do something else and you can have a different music teacher at long last.
Maybe she suspects her son actually does have a concern and is gathering data
to take to a doctor to ask for an evaluation. I'd probably let her know that you
don't send emails to every parent if their child has a time out, and ask if there
is a reason she thinks she needs the information.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
  #1904  
Old 11-07-18, 11:53 PM
Greyhound1's Avatar
Greyhound1 Greyhound1 is offline
Mind Racing Moderator
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 9,042
Thanks: 11,949
Thanked 15,300 Times in 7,371 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow129 View Post
Parent is clearly ****** that I had her kid go to time out. Unfortunately this is politically a really really difficult situation, to have this particular parent have kids who misbehave at times. She says she is uncomfortable with her kid going to time out in music class. Kids sit out when they misbehave...I can't say I'm never going to sit anyone out if they misbehave, what am I supposed to do? I give them reminders before we go to time out, it's not like I suddenly kick them out. The aid (when I asked her am I being too much of a Nazi, BEFORE I had even gotten an email from mom) told me that same day that the kids were walking all over me and that I needed to sit them out. She knows these kids well, and is also a mom of 2 of the kids in the school, I definitely trust her judgement. I mean, the PreK teachers sit kids out who aren't following directions! They're 3 year olds...I think a 6 year old can expect that as a logical consequence.
But I really do feel so confused. Parent wants to know why I sat him out. I teach 8 classes on Tuesdays. I think I remember, but I'm not sure I remember exactly what happened. I think that it started with him running across the room with a drum, and I told him, go back and walk and do that safely please, he ran again (he understood, he thought it was funny), and I said, go back and *walk*, reminder to follow directions. And I don't remember what was next, but, that's where it started.
I know he didn't sit out for the whole class....She questions whether or not his behavior was actually inappropriate for someone his age. I can say that in general the student imitates the 2 kids in the class who DO have conditions that impact learning - not crazy severe or anything, but they can manifest in ways that look kind of behavioral or kind of silly, and it's difficult and we're still trying to figure out what to do for them. But they'll do their thing, and he will copy them. He is seeing what will happen if he does that. He has also copied me, like, I had a cough a couple weeks ago, and he was imitating me coughing...and then he was imitating a girl in the class who had a cough later on, like, in a making fun of kind of way...at least that's how it seemed to me, and the aid too. (I told him what he was doing was rude obviously, and had him apologize.) That particular thing surprised me. I'm making him sound kind of horrible, he's actually not, but he's absolutely testing his boundaries right now. And beside those 2 kids, the rest of the kids in the class, *including* this child, don't have any issues to impede learning or ability to follow directions. And, all the other kids in the class (aside from the 2 with the learning/behavioral concerns) except for her child, DO actually follow my directions. So, like, yeah, if I didn't think his behavior was inappropriate, I wouldn't give him reminders and I wouldn't have him sit out.
It feels horrible that she is questioning my judgement. And I feel kind of insulted. And I feel defensive. And, considering the politics involved as well, I think it's inappropriate for her to write something like this. I'm not treating him any differently than I would treat any other kid. She says she wants me to email her every time I sit either of her 2 kids out. She says she feels collecting data is helpful.

God. I give the kids time outs. Just fire me already. I'll go do something else and you can have a different music teacher at long last.
Perhaps, she’s not questioning your judgement but just wants more info on his behavior. Collecting data about her child as she said. I would give her data about him so, it doesn’t become about collecting data on you. This is a 6 year old who was acting up, it happens and she needs to trust you the teacher and the adult but she does need something to go on, it sounds.

I would keep it simple and a bit vague. Something like:

“He wouldn’t follow directions and continued running in class even after multiple warnings. He was even running with a drum at one point and I was afraid he would hurt himself or someone else. He understood my directions but thought they were funny. His behavior was inappropriate for his age after continuing to ignore direction, laughing and disrupting the class after multiple attempts not to. He only sat out for part of the class to hopefully, settle down a bit. I believe he’s just testing the boundaries right now but usually, he’s a joy to have in class.”

Last edited by Greyhound1; 11-08-18 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-08-18), midnightstar (11-08-18), willow129 (11-08-18)
  #1905  
Old 11-08-18, 08:05 AM
willow129's Avatar
willow129 willow129 is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 2,727
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 2,221
Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,986 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Thanks you two, that is actually really helpful!
I went back and read the email and tried to come at it with a less judgmental tone in my head and I feel it could be read two ways, but I see how she could legitimately just be trying to get more info. It’s just that there’s a section where she says that wiggliness and giggliness might be normal and appropriate in music at that age, and, in certain activities, of course it is! But I wouldn’t be giving reminders/time out at those points. You know what I mean? Anyways...
I do know, I’ve had this kid since he was in PK so like 3 or 4 years as a student, and I do know that he isn’t on any like, watch list as far as learning or behavioral concerns. I think that this is spurred somewhat by the uncertainty of the two kids in the class whose needs we are still trying to figure out how to address, plus a testing boundaries type of phase, which both of her kids are prone to, let’s face it. Not to say that they don’t have good moments either, but that’s what I notice. They’re also both really smart and fairly wholesome in their interests, compared to some of the other boys, which is cute. Anyways. I’m gonna check in with my aid and make sure I’ve got my story straight.
Wish me luck.

I also had the behavior specialist come to me yesterday and want to meet and just like, her concerns with my teaching I guess, in the younger grades. Hour and a half of talking with her. It’s hard. She wants to help and she supports the things I try to do...but it’s hard to be the only one doing music so, people don’t always understand what I’m trying to do exactly and...::sigh:: it’s like first I have to translate so people get what I’m trying to accomplish. I just feel so stupid right now. I also feel like there’s two teams on staff, one that’s like, why have a plan? Why rules? And they DO make that work for them, but then another team that’s like, very clear boundaries and expectations. I get different advice sometimes, so on top of the whole music translation, it gets really really confusing.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-08-18), Little Missy (11-08-18), Lunacie (11-08-18), midnightstar (11-08-18), namazu (11-08-18)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Combining all my poetry into one thread Nucking_Futs Poetry 0 10-13-04 02:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums