ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-18, 02:31 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,581 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow129 View Post
Parent wants to know why I sat him out. I teach 8 classes on Tuesdays. I think I remember, but I'm not sure I remember exactly what happened. I think that it started with him running across the room with a drum, and I told him, go back and walk and do that safely please, he ran again (he understood, he thought it was funny), and I said, go back and *walk*, reminder to follow directions. And I don't remember what was next, but, that's where it started.
Oh man willow I do not look forward to something like that when my time comes. Hopefully with older kids for me it will be different. Since you kind of remember I would say something like " So and so ran across with an instrument twice after I asked him to walk and not only could he have tripped but he could have dropped and damaged an instrument." I would assure her (be condescending in your head) anyone who does this in the class has the same thing happen to them or something along those lines. That is where I would start first. Not following directions breaks a class rule right?

Quote:
I know he didn't sit out for the whole class....She questions whether or not his behavior was actually inappropriate for someone his age.
Whether or not its age appropriate is not the point. Its age appropriate for 2 year olds to bite but you do not let them get away with that do you?

Quote:
I can say that in general the student imitates the 2 kids in the class who DO have conditions that impact learning - not crazy severe or anything, but they can manifest in ways that look kind of behavioral or kind of silly, and it's difficult and we're still trying to figure out what to do for them. But they'll do their thing, and he will copy them. He is seeing what will happen if he does that. He has also copied me, like, I had a cough a couple weeks ago, and he was imitating me coughing...and then he was imitating a girl in the class who had a cough later on, like, in a making fun of kind of way...at least that's how it seemed to me, and the aid too. (I told him what he was doing was rude obviously, and had him apologize.)
If you really want to be a stickler that is technically bullying. Maybe not with you or the aid but imitating students with disabilities in order to make a spectacle of yourself or them isn't ok. Most schools have a zero tolerance. Under normal circumstances with parents that do not feel their child is entitled to special treatment it would be a non issue but since your judgement is being called into question I feel like its a valid point.

Quote:
That particular thing surprised me. I'm making him sound kind of horrible, he's actually not, but he's absolutely testing his boundaries right now. And beside those 2 kids, the rest of the kids in the class, *including* this child, don't have any issues to impede learning or ability to follow directions. And, all the other kids in the class (aside from the 2 with the learning/behavioral concerns) except for her child, DO actually follow my directions. So, like, yeah, if I didn't think his behavior was inappropriate, I wouldn't give him reminders and I wouldn't have him sit out.
Imagine a kid who is allowed to do this and continues with the boundary pushing as they get older..the boundaries are naturally pushed more and more and the behaviors change to much bigger things. These kids end up in high school and then what? Drugs and alcohol? Hard core bullying? No respect for authority? THAT is what impedes their learning.

Quote:
It feels horrible that she is questioning my judgement. And I feel kind of insulted. And I feel defensive. And, considering the politics involved as well, I think it's inappropriate for her to write something like this. I'm not treating him any differently than I would treat any other kid. She says she wants me to email her every time I sit either of her 2 kids out. She says she feels collecting data is helpful.
Do you mean school politics as in this woman is connected to the school or PTA somehow? or politics within the staff? I would offer to compromise and this is what I asked of my son's teacher at this age. (He had adhd severe and some other stuff). I provided a notebook and everyday the teacher would write a little blurb about how the day went, listed any actions out of the norm, repeated the homework and dated it. I would write back if I had any questions or needed to pass a message to the teacher. My son would give his teacher the notebook at the beginning of class and it would either be sent home everyday or every few days or once a week. This will protect you and her...and this is only if YOU feel that in order to protect yourself you need to be accountable to her special snowflake. I would avoid email at all costs and opt for phone calls if necessary. You can convey more and maintain control of the conversation if you talk and you will hear her tone and get a better understanding of what her agenda is.
Its a true balancing act. Attending to the needs of all students and keeping order. Would she rather her son get sent to the office everytime? I think not.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-08-18), midnightstar (11-08-18), willow129 (11-09-18)
Old 11-08-18, 10:54 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,313 Times in 7,377 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets
Whether or not its age appropriate is not the point. Its age appropriate for 2 year olds to bite but you do not let them get away with that do you?
Excellent point Sarah! A large part of teaching and parenting a child is bad behavior correction. These are important lessons children need to learn.

The parent should actually thank you Willow and should be reinforcing the importance of listening to the teacher to their kid!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-18), willow129 (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 07:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,513 Times in 11,541 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

My mum said I bit her once and she turned me over and bit me HARD through my diaper. I never bit again.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-09-18), sarahsweets (11-09-18), willow129 (11-09-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 09:28 AM

Thanked 10,944 Times in 5,877 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone here feel like they can't relate to anyone or have trouble relating n understanding people in general?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-09-18), Little Missy (11-09-18), willow129 (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 10:03 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Does anyone here feel like they can't relate to anyone or have trouble relating n understanding people in general?
Yes! And it is now 8 degrees here.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-09-18), Rebelyell (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 11:00 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Yes, yes and yes! Itís happened my whole life. I donít understand them and they misunderstand me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-18), Rebelyell (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 11:15 AM

Thanked 10,944 Times in 5,877 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I'm not the only one because I'm getting further n further depressed feeling like I'm here n their there.or vice versa.i get along w my own kind but finding them is rough as we all know the stigma that still goes along w mental illness health issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-09-18), Little Missy (11-09-18), Lunacie (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 12:27 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,375 Times in 7,651 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I was just checking my facebook account...I almost never use facebook.

I only have 1 friend on facebook...my mom.

Well, her account has been deactivated.
I know it's a small thing...
But it's sad. I'm having a few tears.
It's just another reminder of her absence in my life

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-09-18), namazu (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 12:41 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,823 Times in 13,488 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

(((((psycho)))))
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 01:55 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,375 Times in 7,651 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

(((Mids))) <3

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 11-09-18, 02:33 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Yes! And it is now 8 degrees here.
8 degrees, when did you move to the North Pole?

Is it normal for temps. to be that low this early? I don’t know how you handle it. I would never leave the house and probably owe my soul to the gas or electric company that fuels your heat.
Old 11-09-18, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
8 degrees, when did you move to the North Pole?

Is it normal for temps. to be that low this early? I donít know how you handle it. I would never leave the house and probably owe my soul to the gas or electric company that fuels your heat.
That was very early this am, it is 39 now.

Old 11-09-18, 04:37 PM

So, I went downtown and bought a dozen pair of cashmere knee socks. So soft!

Old 11-09-18, 06:10 PM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

I'm useless at work today. I've gotten barely anything done. I usually do really well and am productive but on Fridays I struggle. Most people from my office took off today for the long weekend as well. I'm just anxious that they're going to check my key logs and realize I didn't do as much today.
Old 11-09-18, 06:17 PM

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

A typical Friday evening: Spent an hour reading the news, which depresses the **** out of me so that i had to spend another hour reading something funny to cheer me up again. Now it's 22.15h and I still need to prepare dinner and clean the kitchen.

And two hours ago i thought I'd do something wild today like read a book for fun or something.