ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 08-01-13, 01:12 AM

momoko is on a distinguished road
Re: College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

I don't study at home. I can't. Too many distractions. I usually go to a place where people are studying and force myself to sit there for at least 4 hours. Even then, if there's no time pressure, I don't get much done. Cramming and writing-rewriting notes works for me. I come up with acronyms and spin weird stories to help me remember the content. The more ridiculous the better, I find.

Coffee/Caffeine pills works for me. Music too - just a bit, in the background.
Old 08-02-13, 02:19 PM
Jr Member

barefootheathen is on a distinguished road

I haven't read all the way through this thread yet (who has the attention span for that?) but so far I like the idea of reading backwards by paragraph.

Some things I do-

1. Pacing when I study (works REALLY good!) -type or write out questions if they are not in the book and then try to answer them out loud while you walk back and forth.

2. Typing out 'study sheet' when the instructor says the test will cover- xyz. I write down each item (ie. "3 Parts of the brain that develop during adolescence/function) and then type that out later and either type of sometimes handwrite the answers. Usually I type the outline part first (the questions) (I don't type unneccesary worlds like "What are...") and then type in my best (most concise answer).

Study Sheet Part 2: It's even better to type out just the questions then- just look up the answers, say them out loud, go through it like that all the way through and then go back and try to write the answers without looking. Then star the ones you have to look up and do the process again til you have them all filled out. THEN read through all of them at least 1 more time and again as close to right before the test as possible (ie. before class or at the begining of class if your teacher gives you time to study) BE SURE TO STAR UNDERLINE HIGHLIGHT OR WHATEVER ANYTHING YOU ARE STILL NOT SURE ABOUT AND NEED THE INSTRUCTOR TO UNDERSTAND.

3. I usually have to take notes when I read, but it takes WAY too long. It helps me focus but it takes forever. I write or type them. A good way to type them is to type the chapter outline leaving spaces and try to cram in just the most important things about each section by hand. (or go back and type as you read.)

4. Often have to read out loud.

5. Sometimes I play like 7 youtube videos at once and put on my headphones. they will be binaural beats, 2-3 verbal affirmations, an 2-3 uplifting songs (like "don't worry be happy" and "good life") and maybe even a soap opera (Lots of talking) to give me that feeling that I'm in a crowded room where all the noises blend together. People definitly think I'm nuts when I do that!

6. once i read: only highlight what you don't already know (what if that's everything! lol)

7. Comming up: two tips I learned recently...
Old 08-02-13, 02:35 PM
Jr Member

I watch youtube videos on how other people study and organize their school supply. Also "Where there's a will there's an A" is an old program that really has EXCELENT information.

1. My friend uses these clear folders with clips in the middle for each class (no pocket) and a single subject notebook for each class and that's it.

A. Use word to copy and paste the part of your sylabus that includes class name (ie. History of Europe HIS 103), room number, teacher and contact number and the assignments. Make them all fit 1 page front only if possible. This is your first page (you can see it through the clear folder). Everything else you need goes in there in the order you get it. Notes and assignments obvs go in the notebook.

- I would also need to have pocket folders. I usually use a separate pocket folder (or sometimes clear plastic 'envelop' folder) for any papers or projects.

-I also have to have another pocket folder for random stuff I end up having (use one side for school stuff that's not class specific and one for personal crap I print out or whatever)

it's really hard for me to keep things simple and carry only what i need, but that does help me focus when i have less extranious stuff (which is never!) still working on it.

2. I make my own planner using MS word. I type the name of the day, class, the room and the teacher on each line, including a line for days with no class (I usually say "Thursday: Study Hall") and space it out so there is room to write assigments in the space. (make sure you leave yourself space at the bottom for that last class) and maybe Weekend at the bottom.

I copy (cut and paste) this 10 times to make ten pages and then I go through and write WEEK 1 WEEK 2, etc at the top (our quarters are 10 weeks) and then print them single sided along with some extra pages that say "NOTES" and usually put something inspirational (or my personal mission statement) in the footer.

You can also find nice 'organizer' pages online that are printable.

A lot of times I end up not using them, but at least I didn't spend money on them. I print them at school for free.

If you use a binder, get the kind that you can slip your sheet into the top and then you can see at a glance what you need.

3. What I might start doing is type out the ten weeks on the back of my sylabus page. That doesn't give you a week at a glance but it does keep your assignment info handy with what you need for class.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-13, 02:44 PM
Jr Member

These are long (sorry) that is why I divided them up.

Just learned this trick from a guy in the study center- it doesn't always work for my subjects because they don't tend to be organized like this but I'll pass it on. The first part works and the other part I can usually adjust to fit my needs.

Get those colored tabs (not the real little ones, and they are kinda glossy) and arrange them for each chapter (I used one color for half of a large book, another color for the other half and other colors for the end sections like glossary and indexes) and then label the chapters by number. OMG that is SO HELPFUL!

Then what he does is takes his assigned questions (I never have assigned questions which is why this doesn't really work for me) and he uses the index to find the topic- and then JUST reads that section from the chapter that answers the question. He then highlights the answer to the question only. (He might read a paragraph but just highlight the key parts that specifically answer the question (not the whole explanation). You could maybe highlight vocab in a different color if necessary.

THENNNNN he takes a different kind of tag, puts it in the page along with the number of the question it answers (#6)

I think it's brilliant. He says he doesn't have time for the massive amount of reading that is assigned and he's never gone wrong with this method.
Old 08-02-13, 03:03 PM
Jr Member

Remember to use that creativity to adapt things to our own personal needs!

I also think of ways I can create my own "accommodations."

When I was studying design, I would get confused by the scales (ie. fancy rulers) which have 2 sets of numbers. So I got an extra scale and took one and used white out to blot out the numbers I didn't use on the main scale that got used for about 95% of everything.

You have no idea how much headache this saved me.

Some people might find wearing a hoodie or hat helps block out distractions, or using a paper ruler like in grade school for reading line by line. Or having a special pouch in your bag just for pens and highlighters or whatever you need.

If it sounds like I have it all together... trust me I don't !!!!! I am still figuring things out.
Old 08-14-13, 06:14 PM
Jr Member

Re: Oh sigh~

I am academically minded... and cute

But I still have trouble with school sometimes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michinyuja View Post
Can you turn a nerd into an adventurer?

A dweeb into a swashbuckling pirate?

sure, anything can happen.

But I have trouble understanding why the swashbuckling pirate would want to turn himself into a dweeb.

College is for people who want to pursue information gathering, analysis, debate, and discussion for the REST OF THEIR LIVES.

It is not for people who want to DO real things, not just write and talk about them.
It is not for people who are natural born salesmen.
It is not for people who are natural healers.
(because if you pursue the educational route of becoming a doctor, you won't get to heal anyone!)
It is not for people who love the outdoors.
It is not for people who love adventure and taking risks.
It is not for people who love having families and close friends.
It is not for good-looking people.

Really.
Academics is wasted on good-looking people.
We spend so much time indoors and by ourselves...

hehehe~

As a nerd, I resent that the colleges are making billions of dollars by convincing other people that they should be nerds too.

How would you like it if one day, you were on the field watching your favorite sport,
and a bunch of people poured into the game,
and wanted to play...
except they hated the game.
and found it boring.
but kept popping medication to finish the game,
and some who couldn't afford medication hunkered down in a corner
to drink from a bottle and take other drugs~
and stay for years?

Please, please.
Go do what makes you happy~
Be a superstar in your rightful field...
Stop being miserable in the academics pool~ go play in the cool pool!!

Old 08-15-13, 08:30 AM
Contributor

Adduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of light

I hope you find the following links helpful and hopefully pick up some tips that you may not have come across before.

The articles are from a UK newspaper and are aimed at 16-18 year olds regarding study skills especially in the run up to exams. (I'm sure still relevant to college/university students)

Here are two of the articles, and within them you will find links (about 10 or so) linking to 'more by this author' and 'related articles'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...sion-time.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...n-success.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Adduce For This Useful Post:
cosine106 (08-18-13)
Old 08-15-13, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

I am very academically minded, too. Guess the poster behind the play in the cool pool things doesn't know the first thing about ADHD. Let's take a look at the DSM criteria for ADHD:
Quote:
C. Some impairment from the symptoms must be present in at least two settings.
So by definition, it's not just an academic problem.

If only my ADHD symptoms only showed up in one setting lol
Old 09-11-13, 03:40 PM
Jr Member

carriejane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootheathen View Post
I haven't read all the way through this thread yet (who has the attention span for that?)
LOL!!

My biggest issues are what mood I happen to be in! When I am in the zone I am hyper concentrated... but when im not..
http://www.addforums.com/forums/data...CyJNF8YTklH//Z

Right now I am in three classes.
1 English- feels like stabbing my cuticles with a butter knife would be more fun!
2 geography- great teacher, not all that bad of a class. I can focus when I need to.
3 world history- I feel like doing the cabbage patch the whole class.

Simply put, the more into a class I am the easier it is for me, and man DO I HATE ENGLISH!
Old 09-29-13, 07:59 PM
Committee Member

LauraRomans will become famous soon enough

Find someone in the class that needs help (more help than you) and teach it to them!

If you can teach it then you know it!!
Old 03-17-14, 07:13 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootheathen View Post

3. What I might start doing is type out the ten weeks on the back of my syllabus page. That doesn't give you a week at a glance but it does keep your assignment info handy with what you need for class.
I make my own syllabus now. I type out each week and what needs to be done on/by that week then I can just cross it out, when it's done. I make it one page. There is 1 for each class.
Old 11-25-14, 09:56 PM
Jr Member

Wire Mother is a jewel in the roughWire Mother is a jewel in the roughWire Mother is a jewel in the rough

I went back to school as a History major in my 30s, got into a top PhD program, attended grad school for 1.5 abysmally miserable semesters, then dropped out when I decided the only reason I really needed the PhD was to feed my ego (because I didn't want to teach).

I'd always been a lousy student, but while back in college as an adult I learned some tricks that not only helped me function, but helped me excel. I'm currently a freelance writer and editor, and I can actually do my job because of the tricks I learned.

First, in class I always sat in the front row (fewer distractions from other students, more pressure to look attentive from the prof) and took almost verbatim handwritten notes. I drift off right away if I try to listen to a lecture without note-taking, and by the time it's over I'll have no clue what was said. Note-taking forced me to listen closely. Writing everything down kept me from getting caught up in wondering if something was important or not. The physical act of writing while listening (info coming through dual channels) helped fix information in my memory. There were some classes where I never had to go back to my notes or even do much studying before exams, because I could remember what the prof said in lecture.

Second, using physical activity--walking while reading or listening to audio material; taking tons of notes while listening to lectures or reading books; using a standing desk while writing (or getting up to do physical exercises between paragraphs when sitting); etc. all helped me maintain enough focus to study and complete assignments. No lie--I still had difficulties, but I didn't go off the rails completely.

Third, one thing I suck at is writing an essay from start to finish. I can't even do a rough draft that way. My thoughts bounce all over the place, and I end up with a disorganized mess, or I quickly lose the will to continue writing altogether. I can easily think of the various points I want to bring up, or bits of evidence I've found in my research, but putting it all together into one coherent document that flowed smoothly from point to point, everything building upon what came before was like torture. I pulled a lot of all-nighters were I ended up sobbing at 4:00AM because it just wasn't working.

My solution was to start carrying 3x5 index cards with me everywhere, and when I got an idea for the paper, or found a new bit of evidence, I would jot it down briefly on one side of the card, and write any bibliographic info on the back. I had a little zippered pouch that held the cards and a pen, and carried it in my bag all the time. Once I'd written upon a card, I just stuck it back in the pouch.

Then, when I finally had a big stack of scribbled-upon cards, I'd go to the library and shut myself in a study room with a conference table. I'd dump all the cards out on it, and start moving them around, figuring out the overall "flow" of the paper. I'd start by making three rough stacks for the beginning/intro, central argument, then the final summation and wrap-up. Then I'd work on each of those stacks in turn, shifting them around until I could literally see my argument taking shape.

Once I had them sorted and my "paper" laid out in front of me, I'd number the cards in order. My own system was a little complicated (using formal outline numbering), but it ensured that if I ever dropped an entire stack of cards, or if one got loose from the rest, I'd be able to put them back in the correct order every time.

After that, it was a matter of typing in all the info on the cards, in order, into a document. Tedious? Hell, yes. I used my standing desk, and did a lot of pacing around the room after every few cards. But I did a lot of writing and revision as I went, and by the time I was done I had a finished rough draft with far less pain and struggle and panic than before.

For me, the hardest part was done by then; I've always had a far easier time in the editing and rewriting stage than the initial Writing Stuff Down. In my current career, I've used the exact same technique to ghostwrite book-length (60K-150K words) manuscripts, and I seriously would not have a writing career of any kind without it.

And fourth and last, organization needed to be boneheaded-simple. When I was in elementary school, my 3-ring binder was always a disaster, with papers falling out, or in the wrong place. More often than not, I just shoved papers in the back of it, because taking the time to flip to the right section and open the rings so I could put each sheet in the proper place was more than I could deal with. In high school, carrying individual cardboard folders for each class was marginally more successful, but not much.

In college, what worked for me was one of those brown paper expanding files with six pockets and an elastic holding it shut. In the front, I put blank paper for note-taking. The middle four pockets had each class labeled on them. The rear pocket was the catch-all.

Okay, yeah--all of the pockets turned out to be the catch-all. But I just figured that as long as I shoved a given piece of paper into any one of the pockets, I was golden. I could always empty out the file and find it, if I had to. And unlike the individual folders I carried in high school, as long as I had the file with me I always had all of my papers for every class--I never left one at home.

About once every week or two, I'd empty out the entire file, sort the papers by class, and put them in the right pockets. If I was at home, I'd take the papers I knew I wasn't going to need in-class, binder-clip them together, and hang them on the bulletin board over my desk (because anything placed on a horizontal surface in my house vanishes in no time flat). When it came time to study for exams, or I needed to re-read an assignment, there they were.

And to this day, my home and business filing systems are that boneheaded-simple. I throw papers I need to keep (check stubs, receipts, tax papers, etc.) into a box under my desk. When I think to, I sort whatever's in the box, and enter receipts and payments into QuickBooks. There is never so much paper in the box that this is a major undertaking, and it takes me less time and is less prone to forgetting than using a filing cabinet. Really time-sensitive stuff goes on the bulletin board so it doesn't disappear, but that's about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wire Mother For This Useful Post:
proileri (01-07-15), tazoz (11-27-14)
Old 03-15-15, 03:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

hg12345 is a jewel in the roughhg12345 is a jewel in the roughhg12345 is a jewel in the rough

U wana know how I study? Fistly I speak outloud. If I dont hear myself talking then I dont remember anything! Second, I pace back and forth. I can walk in circles for an hour straight without realizing or getting dizzy!! Sometimes when I get bored I randomly do cartwheels while I study!! AND I ALWAYS END UP DISTRACTED AND DOING SOMETHING ELSE IN MIDDLE!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to hg12345 For This Useful Post:
Asatekin (01-02-16)
Old 10-22-15, 05:11 PM

michelle34639 is on a distinguished road

this is so me, except I get caught on things like cleaning and this new article I saw on FB on DNA sequencing. Maddening.
Old 10-22-15, 06:56 PM
Contributor

TangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really nice

I used to read, take notes, record myself reading my notes out loud, and then play the recordings back to myself over and over again.

I would talk to myself out loud a lot. I would ask myself questions, record my answers without looking at my notes, and then play back the recordings to see if I answered the questions correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to TangledWebs For This Useful Post:
Asatekin (01-02-16)