ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What are you licences for?
Manual 4 30.77%
Automatic 4 30.77%
Both Auto and Manual 4 30.77%
Unable to drive due to medical 1 7.69%
Yet to obtain a license 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-18, 04:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,263 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Manual or Automatic

What do you have a licence for?

My kids PDoc (years ago now) said people with ADHD should have manual licences to help keep them engaged when they drive. I agree. I think the automation of everything is de-skilling our society.

Of course you don't have to agree with me

I drive a 6spd manual with an agricultural gearbox. So when I get in a work car its like a spaceship. No key and where is the handbrake and you can't see a thing out the mirrors so rely on camera and sensors. To me it seems unsafe so I try make someone else drive them instead.

What's your opinion?
Lunacie (12-31-18), mildadhd (01-01-19), psychopathetic (12-30-18)
Old 12-30-18, 04:48 AM

Thanked 27,178 Times in 13,194 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manual or Automatic

When I drove, it was an automatic, just about everything was in the states except people who drove sports cars.

I can't imagine having to change gears! i would forget. but that might be because I learned on an automatic transmission.

I haven't driven since 1990, so i'm not sure how I would feel about the newest cars with sensors. I've decided not to drive again, I can't focus properly on the road and my reactions are too slow. so, public transportation for me, and lyft or uber if necessary
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-31-18), mildadhd (01-01-19), tudorose (12-30-18)
Old 12-30-18, 05:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,756 Times in 15,182 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

We had a manual truck when I was first married and my husband tried to teach me how to drive it and I got stalled at a highway merge so I am terrified. However I think now I would learn easier. Not to be conspiracy-ish but I believe the car companies want to do away with manual options altogether because they allow the average owner the ease with which to work on their own cars. Less fancy technology means more affordable parts, less labor and reliability. My husband is an electrician but he does 90% of our carwork because we are always strapped. He said fixing that truck was a breeze. Our newest car is a 2004 and all the rest are older because even though they are automatic, they are not fancy models with all computer parts and sensors, keyless entries and stuff like that. You need specific dealer training to diagnose and troubleshoot a malfunctioning say.. o2 sensor for the newest Toyota yet he was able to replace the ones in my older toyota by watching you tube and having a cheap autoparts website he orders from. I just think that car companies want to be the ones to work on your car where you can pay 1000 for a healight with labor being 100$ an hour. But this totally hijacked your thread so sorry. I think a manual would be good for me to learn.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-18, 07:45 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,023 Times in 13,602 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I have a manual licence.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-18, 08:21 AM

Thanked 21,611 Times in 11,594 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I drive both, no need for a special license here. Three on the tree is especially fun. Start out in 2nd and into third @20mph and it just goes on and on by itself. 5 speed, tractors, you can hear and "feel" when it is time to shift.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-30-18), Lunacie (12-31-18), mildadhd (01-01-19), tudorose (12-30-18)
Old 12-30-18, 12:09 PM

Thanked 30,441 Times in 14,021 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Manual so I am allowed to drive both. I used to think driving an automatic must be very boring but hubby's car is an automatic and it doesn't really make a big difference. I think, once you've been driving for a while changing gears becomes second nature so it's neither very stimulating nor very difficult. In heavy traffic, I find it a bit more relaxing to drive an automatic.

I hate driving any car though that it isn't mine...hubby has gone through two cars that I've never driven.

Sarah, I used to stall a lot as well when I was learning. I still do at times on new cars
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-01-19), tudorose (12-30-18)
Old 12-30-18, 12:21 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,545 Times in 7,487 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love to drive and find it very stimulating. I can drive both manual and automatic. I believe all the stimulation causes me to hyper focus and makes me an excellent driver. I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles over 35 years with no accidents and never even a ticket.

I have to be very careful because I really enjoy driving fast. It raises the stimulation level and I can get easily carried away. I have no idea how I’ve avoided speeding tickets for so long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-18, 12:28 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,545 Times in 7,487 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought about it before but it’s weird that a drivers license here allows you to drive both manual and auto. Even if you have no clue how to drive a manual it’s still legal if you have a license.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-01-19), Rebelyell (01-04-19), tudorose (12-30-18)
Old 12-30-18, 04:01 PM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

Had a manual license for nearly 25 years.

But now adhd and alcoholic, I've been declared medically unfit to drive
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-18, 06:22 PM

Thanked 26,215 Times in 12,238 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I've read a lot of British cozies but having a driver's license specify manual or
automatic is a new one for me.

I learned to drive a standard / manual shift when I was a teen, and I guess it's
like riding a bike, it may take a moment to "pull up the file" but then it's no
problem to handle a stick shift.

But ... with the bad knee it became too painful to use the clutch to change gears
so it's been a decade, I'll bet, since I last drove a manual.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-01-19), tudorose (01-01-19)
Old 01-01-19, 03:06 AM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 946 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I always get the terms Manuel and Automatic mixed up.

I think that Manuel shifts automatically, then I feel unsure and confused.

Or is it the automatic that shifts automatically?

If Manuel shifts automatically why is it not called Automatic?

Gets me every time.

Still not sure.

25 years ago or so, I burned out the clutch in the...

Now I take the bus.

M
Greyhound1 (01-01-19), tudorose (01-02-19)
Old 01-01-19, 04:05 AM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 946 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Manuel is not automatic?

M
Old 01-01-19, 09:43 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,023 Times in 13,602 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Manuel is not automatic?

M
Manual means we move the clutch stick ourself to change gear, automatic is where the car automatically changes gear by itself
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-19), mildadhd (01-01-19)
Old 01-01-19, 05:34 PM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 5,953 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Only auto is my truck the rest of them are manuals only reason my truck is an auto is they don't make a stick anymore for full size trucks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-01-19), tudorose (01-02-19)
Old 01-01-19, 07:22 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,289 Times in 5,383 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

We don’t have separate licenses where I live but I can only drive automatics. Tried a couple of times to learn manual, but it never stuck. I can see the appeal, but it was too much for me to process.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski