ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 08-25-10, 11:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,122 Times in 2,885 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
The Highly Sensitive Person.

Have any of you guys caught up with the theory of the Highly Sensitive Person? ( Psychologists Ealine Aaron, and Ted Zeff woring out a theory originally proposed by Jung)

Check this article out:
http://www.hsperson.com/pages/2Aug10.htm

According to research psychologist Dr. Elaine Aron, approximately 20 percent of the population is highly sensitive and the trait is equally divided between males and females. In other words, approximately 20 percent of all males are highly sensitive

Now for those who have been following the debate- the incidence of the dopamine gene mutation on DRD4 is about 20%.
Remember I have commented that the silly part of the "neurobiological disorder " idea of ADD is that the researchers do not trace the outcomes of other people in the population with the gene.

What I am proposing is that my idea of "Attention Difference" is in fact identical with Ealine Aron's concept of The Highly Sensitive Person, and is the phenotype associated with that genotype. Ultimately ADD is a specific phenotype that arises as a result of a suboptimal conditions experienced before we reach maturity.

This is an area we should all look at. For one thing it is much healthier and more affirming for us to see ourselves through the spectrum of the HSP idea rather than through the prism of the disease model.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-12-11), adhdseeker (05-09-16), bunkie68 (08-30-10), doiadhd (07-04-11), firstdesserts (08-26-10), Hearty Soul (09-10-10), mechnik (08-26-10), mimi'sdreaming (08-26-10), Song of Mercy (07-04-11), tinywiney (08-31-10), Unmanagable (07-08-11)
Old 08-25-10, 11:23 PM
Contributor

Hearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the roughHearty Soul is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Highly Sensitive Person.

I LOVED this book and bought a few as gifts and gave to my nieces to help them understand their children's differences. I saw myself in it!
Old 08-26-10, 01:56 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,266 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I started my journey with ADD, which I knew nothing about back then, through the HSP phenomenon and I have always had some difficulty telling the two apart.

If you check the symptoms list I score only a little bit lower on the HSP ranking than on the ADD one.
The main difference is IMO that HSP is geared more toward the sensory aspects.
doiadhd (07-08-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-10, 07:05 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I started my journey with ADD, which I knew nothing about back then, through the HSP phenomenon and I have always had some difficulty telling the two apart.

If you check the symptoms list I score only a little bit lower on the HSP ranking than on the ADD one.
The main difference is IMO that HSP is geared more toward the sensory aspects.
From what I cn make out- the ADDer can be regarded as a stressed HSP who has had to learn to dissociate from his sensate self to get by.
One of the really nice things about the current stage of my recovery is the sheer pleasure I am getting from my restored sensory capacities.

It is an odd paradox that the mindfulness training that is derived from what can be a rather ascetic approach has left me much more able to enjoy the sensory pleasures that do come along, but much less attached to oredependant upon them.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-08-11)
Old 08-26-10, 08:07 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,266 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny how on an Aspie forum I came across another discussion where the question was what the relationship between Asperger's and HSP might be.

And what you said about dissociation ties in with a certain (unofficial) view on Asperger's that says it may be caused by an overload and subsequent shutdown of sensory input channels.
doiadhd (07-08-11), mimi'sdreaming (08-26-10)
Old 08-26-10, 11:36 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Oh my gosh, I just posted about this in the depression thread!

I'm an HSP and so is my son. I didn't know anything about it until I read The Highly Sensitive Child. It described my child to a tee, as well as myself! You are so right, it's a wonderfully inspiring book!

It helped me to understand why I suffer from depression and anxiety at times. The really spooky part of the book came after I first had my son evaluated by a psychologist for ADHD. It was a nightmare experience and I was so confused and devastated.

One Sunday afternoon, something just told me to go to the bookshelf and read that book (again). I read the whole thing that day and found that you have to be very careful when taking an HSP to a psychologist/psychiatrist. They are so intuitive and pick up on things that most other children don't. My son really hasn't been the same since that experience.

I would really love to find someone who specializes in temperment. So far, no luck. The whole Asperger's thing is interesting but preplexing as well.

I'm going to study more on the information you provided. Again, Thanks!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
The Following User Says Thank You to mimi'sdreaming For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (07-08-11)
Old 08-26-10, 11:54 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
Its funny how on an Aspie forum I came across another discussion where the question was what the relationship between Asperger's and HSP might be.

And what you said about dissociation ties in with a certain (unofficial) view on Asperger's that says it may be caused by an overload and subsequent shutdown of sensory input channels.
I would love to learn more about this......

Old 08-26-10, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sdreaming View Post
Oh my gosh, I just posted about this in the depression thread!

I'm an HSP and so is my son. I didn't know anything about it until I read The Highly Sensitive Child. It described my child to a tee, as well as myself! You are so right, it's a wonderfully inspiring book!

It helped me to understand why I suffer from depression and anxiety at times. The really spooky part of the book came after I first had my son evaluated by a psychologist for ADHD. It was a nightmare experience and I was so confused and devastated.

One Sunday afternoon, something just told me to go to the bookshelf and read that book (again). I read the whole thing that day and found that you have to be very careful when taking an HSP to a psychologist/psychiatrist. They are so intuitive and pick up on things that most other children don't. My son really hasn't been the same since that experience.

I would really love to find someone who specializes in temperment. So far, no luck. The whole Asperger's thing is interesting but preplexing as well.

I'm going to study more on the information you provided. Again, Thanks!
You know- I found the mindfulness training I did to be the perfect answer to tempering my sensitivity into a powerful intuitive tool.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

mimi'sdreaming (08-29-10)
Old 08-29-10, 10:26 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
You know- I found the mindfulness training I did to be the perfect answer to tempering my sensitivity into a powerful intuitive tool.
Thanks! Is that on her website?

I also ordered the new book by Ted Zeff about HSC boys. Thanks again......

Old 08-30-10, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sdreaming View Post
Thanks! Is that on her website?

I also ordered the new book by Ted Zeff about HSC boys. Thanks again......
The mindfulness training is accessed via mindfulness.net.au
I think there are some US practitioners.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

mimi'sdreaming (08-30-10)
Old 08-30-10, 10:25 AM
Contributor

Quote:

Many Thanks!

Old 08-30-10, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the rough

I just took the test for my son. I've always known he's my emotional, high-strung, easily upset child, but I had no idea there was a name for it. I'd read Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Kurcinka, and I thought a lot of that fit him as well, but HSP makes a lot more sense. Wow. I'm off to do some more reading, and probably pick up a book or two.
Old 08-30-10, 01:16 PM

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've also been reading about this sensory overload causing a shutdown for those who are diagnosed with ASD. Makes more sense to me than the old claim that those on the Spectrum are lacking in empathy. I think it's more likely that they are flooded with too much empathy among other sensory stimuli, and shut down in self defense. Of course, the distinct possibility that I myself am somewhere on the spectrum and definitively have sensory processing issues leads me to think that theory fits my own situation.

I was just investigating a link from another forum to a site put together by a Swedish woman with many of these issues herself. I was somewhat surprised to learn that such a large percentage of the population is affected by these sensory processing problems. After years of being looked at like a freak, or a liar, for being bothered by strange noises and bright light and funky smells, I feel so ... vindicated! Here's the link if anyone is interested: http://www.creative-minds.info/index.htm

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (07-04-11), mimi'sdreaming (09-02-10), sarek (08-30-10)
Old 08-30-10, 03:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkie68 View Post
I just took the test for my son. I've always known he's my emotional, high-strung, easily upset child, but I had no idea there was a name for it. I'd read Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Kurcinka, and I thought a lot of that fit him as well, but HSP makes a lot more sense. Wow. I'm off to do some more reading, and probably pick up a book or two.
I suggest getting The Highly Sensitive Child ASAP!

Old 08-30-10, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A counselor (doctoral intern) I am seeing is really big on "mindfulness" in therapy. From what I've read online it is becoming very popular here in the States. She's going to bring a bunch of info on it at our next appointment. As well, she was pleased to hear I was familiar with Oriental philosophy (Tao Te Ching, karate).

I happened to mention this thread last time we met, and that the OP is in AU. She asked about a name of someone I did not know (and quickly forgot). I told her that there was only a screen name (referring to LOTR?). Hopefully, I will remember to ask about the name again.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
mimi'sdreaming (09-02-10)