ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-18, 02:58 AM

primalsmash is on a distinguished road
Angry How do you fall asleep ?

Hello,
i have adhd and i have problem to fall asleep.
I i am constantly thinking about something and i can't stay focused on breathing, in past when my adhd wasn't that bad, i could stay focused on breathing and would fall asleep in 30 minutes.
I am on computer before bed, for reason, that i can't read in bed.
Because i have chronic pain.
At least i don't look to blue light, i am using flux.
I usually watch tv show, or listen to relaxing music before sleep time.
But not always, sometimes i get excited about something, or read something iteresting, or listen to music which energize me, which is abosulutely worst i can do before bed.
Than i try to listen music relaxing in bed, which does nothing.

I try some tips for insomnia:
  1. don't eat anything 3 hours before sleep

2.try to relax instead of trying fall asleep

3.don't drink hour before bed

4.get fresh air

5. air temp 16-20, i don't have air conditioner so i can't do that

I don't know what could i do yet.
Old 06-28-18, 06:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,426 Times in 14,463 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you fall asleep ?

I practice good sleep hygiene which means I go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (07-08-18), psychopathetic (06-28-18)
Old 06-28-18, 07:09 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,363 Times in 7,149 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I pretty much fight sleep till I pass out.

Sarah above has given me some amazing tips over the years on some of the stuff that's worked with her. Maybe soon it's time I start tackling my sleep issues once and for all. I do think that if I actually put the effort into doing what Sarah has done (sticking to a routine)...it'd work for me.
I just haven't committed yet.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-01-18), sarahsweets (06-28-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-18, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Wake up at the same time every day. That matters more than what time you go to bed.

Some people sleep better when they take a small dose of their stimulant meds before bed. Is that an option for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (06-28-18)
Old 06-29-18, 03:20 PM

Smile Re: How do you fall asleep ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Wake up at the same time every day. That matters more than what time you go to bed.

Some people sleep better when they take a small dose of their stimulant meds before bed. Is that an option for you?
Ye i am going sleep everyday at the same time, but i was not getting same time everyday.
I can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronelh
At those times, one thing that helps me is to listen to podcasts.
Good idea i didn't listen to podcasts 4ever.
I try it and let you know.
Old 06-29-18, 11:34 AM

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Me? Keep ruminating until my brain got exhausted and passed out, that's how I sleep every night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monox D. I-Fly For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-03-18), CharlesH (06-29-18), psychopathetic (06-29-18)
Old 06-29-18, 12:45 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,363 Times in 7,149 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
Me? Keep ruminating until my brain got exhausted and passed out, that's how I sleep every night.
This.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
AdultADHD (07-03-18)
Old 06-29-18, 12:45 PM

Daltoh is on a distinguished road

Look into ASMR.. I found it useful at times.
Old 06-29-18, 02:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

My trouble with sleeping is in the early hours of the morning. I go to sleep alright, but sometimes I go through stages where I wake up at silly hours like 3am, and can't get back to sleep.

At those times, one thing that helps me is to listen to podcasts. I've tried music and "white noise" but they don't always help. My mind just keeps racing on random topics. A podcast works better for me, as it takes my mind off random thoughts and focuses it on something specific. But it has to be interesting enough to keep my attention, but not super-exciting or containing loud bursts of music that would keep me awake. I like history podcasts, like Mike Duncan's History of Rome for example.

Another thing that helps is to have a regular routine. I try to go to bed at the same time every night, and (since I have trouble sleeping in the morning) I make myself stay in bed until the same hour every morning.
PoppnNSailinMan (07-05-18)
Old 06-29-18, 03:49 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

It helps if I have exercised and meditated prior to bed. I can meditate myself to sleep. Sometimes if I lay in bed and meditate, instead of sit on my meditation pillow, with some music (no words) I may wake up like 4 hours later.

I need to follow the same routine: Pills, vape (no nicotine anymore ), bed, read on kindle, play solitaire, sleep time.

Must have:
Cool temperature (65f - around 18c)
White noise machine
Weighted blanket
NO light at all
Old 07-01-18, 01:49 PM

I know about rutine, because brain will associate sequence of tasks with sleep.

With meditation i have a problem, because i have pressure in my neck and when i focus on breath, i have very unconfortable feeling in my neck.

Unfortuanately sometimes, i wake at 4am and than i take sleep pills to fall asleep again and i don't want to wake up at 6:30, so i sleep til 8:30 for example.
I will have to just suck it up and wake up at 6:30.

Kidnle i would read, but i have, i not sure how it trasnlates - copressed spine and my neck hurts quickly and i can't even hold kindle with hands, because they start to hurt quickly.
Old 07-01-18, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalsmash View Post
Kidnle i would read, but i have, i not sure how it trasnlates - copressed spine and my neck hurts quickly and i can't even hold kindle with hands, because they start to hurt quickly.
If you have both sleep and pain problems, then gabapentin or pregabalin might be helpful. I don't know if it's available in your country
Old 07-01-18, 02:52 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,426 Times in 14,463 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a fan of using technology to help with sleep. Doesnt matter if its the TV/phone/tablet/radio whatever. Its an artificial sleep inducer if it even works. You cant expect your brain to quiet down if it has to work hard on things like listening or watching something.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-01-18, 03:37 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I read with my kindle on night light setting so you don't get the effects of watching a bright white screen. (It's an orangy color). And playing solitaire is the most relaxing thing I do all day lol. I don't exactly pick easy reads but it works to quiet my brain down.
Old 07-01-18, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,803 Times in 2,073 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Only been able to sleep since going off all meds and getting the toxic people out of my life.

I spent around 10 years not sleeping due to PTSD. My PDoc said this was normal and tried to give me sedatives but I never took them.

I try not to have caffeine too late in the day but if necessary I might eat stuff to send me into a carb coma.