ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 07-12-18, 02:33 PM

Sparks77 is on a distinguished road
Meds: Wellbutrin/Vyvanse/Adderall

Hi!
Looking for some input on meds. Recently diagnosed with depression and anxiety but I feel there is an ADHD component. Just learning about now due to sons diagnosis (he’s currently on meds and has improved greatly) I see parallels between him and myself during childhood.

Was prescribed Lexapro for depression and anxiety saw some improvement in mood and motivation but developed a skin rash. When stopped taking could feel decrease in and motivation and increase irritability.

Currently prescribed Wellbutrin but have been scared to start. Enjoy an occasional drink but also just nervous about meds in general.

My questions is...has anyone been on wellbutrin and/or vyvanse/adderall. Is Wellbutrin results comparable, I know it’s not a stimulant. I would rather be on something that doesn’t have to build in my system like Wellbutrin and can be taken more as needed or stopped more quickly if experiencing side effects.

I am debating further pursuing the adhd diagnosis to try a stimulant but don’t want to seem “drug seeking” I guess hence the anxiety and am considering trying the Wellbutrin since I already have the prescription in hand.

My biggest struggles are lack of motivation, emotional/over-eating, sluggish/always tired and irritability. I feel overwhelmed by big tasks, keeping the house clean and procrastinate like crazy.

I’d love any advise or shared experiences.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-18, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Meds: Wellbutrin/Vyvanse/Adderall

RE ADHD diagnosis, you'll want to work with your doctor to figure out whether your ADHD causes depression, or whether it's the depression causing you to have attention issues. You could also have both.

ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder that has onset from birth. So be ready to explain your childhood symptoms (to the best of your ability). It's highly genetic, so given that your son has ADHD, it raises the probability that you have it as well.

I personally never found Wellbutrin to really do anything, besides making my hands tremor. But that's just my experience. It's not considered a first line treatment for ADHD.
Old 07-15-18, 12:58 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,426 Times in 15,023 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks77 View Post
Hi!
Looking for some input on meds. Recently diagnosed with depression and anxiety but I feel there is an ADHD component. Just learning about now due to sons diagnosis (he’s currently on meds and has improved greatly) I see parallels between him and myself during childhood.
A lot of people realize they have adhd because of their childs diagnosis so this makes sense.

Quote:

My questions is...has anyone been on wellbutrin and/or vyvanse/adderall. Is Wellbutrin results comparable, I know it’s not a stimulant. I would rather be on something that doesn’t have to build in my system like Wellbutrin and can be taken more as needed or stopped more quickly if experiencing side effects.

I am debating further pursuing the adhd diagnosis to try a stimulant but don’t want to seem “drug seeking” I guess hence the anxiety and am considering trying the Wellbutrin since I already have the prescription in hand.
Wellbutrin made me very agitated but that could be because I am on other meds for bipolar.
And it bugs me so much that people are so scared of looking like they are drug seeking that they are afraid of asking for proven treatment options. Stimulants have saved me.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-18, 05:08 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Wellbutrin (without ADHD meds but with bipolar and anxiety meds) made my anxiety horrible at a therapeutic dosage. But everyone is different. I don't see any harm in trying it. It could be the one for you. It has a pretty good track records from what I recall. Just don't get disappointed if it isn't. Most of us have been through the depression wringer more than a few times. And the antipsychotic cycle as well.

I figured out how to tell people what they wanted to hear to get the results I wanted. But yes, walking into a psychs office and going essentially "I need prescription meth" is not going to get you far. If it is a problem for you I'd suggest bringing up your concerns with your doctor and seeing what you need to do to look for a diagnosis and allow them to figure out how to treat from there. Bringing up your sons diagnosis and his medication should be ok though. My son got me diagnosed as well.