ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 03-16-12, 11:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

~carol~ is on a distinguished road
Question Quick question re: Adderall and Propranolol (Inderal) interaction

Hello,

I just have a question regarding possible interactions between Propranolol (generic Inderal) and Adderall XR.

I was prescribed these together by my nurse (10 mg Propranolol PRN up to two times a day to calm the tremors and jitters from the 50 mg Adderall XR). So far, so good, but I was linked to a thread on another thread of mine that says, in the prescribing info for Adderall, the patient needs to let the prescriber know that they are taking Propranolol. I am wondering why. It would seem that maybe there is an interaction I am not aware of. Does anyone know?

Here is the thread I was linked to:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32106

Thank you!!!
Old 03-16-12, 11:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

known_guy has a spectacular aura aboutknown_guy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Quick question re: Adderall and Propranolol (Inderal) interaction

Eh, I've taken them both (when I was prescribed Inderal it was 20mg 3 times a day as needed) and find the combination just fine. The Propranolol is helpful in calming, as you said, tremors and jitters. It is strongly advised that you let all your medical prescribers know all of the medications you're taking. That said, I was prescribed 40mg Ritalin SR with the same Inderal dosage; both were prescribed by a (the same) psychiatrist. I'm guessing you're fine. But yeah... I don't follow my own advice, but there shouldn't be any issues if you mention it to whoever prescribes you your Adderall XR.

--------------------------------------------------
| Diagnoses : MDD | ADHD | ASD | BD-NOS | BPD |
--------------------------------------------------
Medications:
Zoloft 150mg | Dexedrine SR 30mg | Lamictal 100mg
Miscellaneous:
Cymbalta 30mg BID | Ritalin SR 40mg | Remeron 15mg

Old 03-17-12, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,454 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a good question to ask a pharmacist.
And maybe ask a second pharmacist just to be sure.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
known_guy (03-17-12), ~carol~ (03-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-12, 10:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks for your replies! My main concern is if the Propranolol would change the efficacy of the Adderall. I think I will try to find the insert that states there may be some interaction & show it to the pharmacist. He's the same one that said ascorbic acid has no effect on Adderall, and I know from what I've read here (and now my own experience) that it's not true.
Old 03-17-12, 03:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hi, wanted to just update that I talked to the pharmacist & she said that the reason there would be a concern is that if the patient was already on propranolol for their heart and added Adderall; in that case there could be conflict from Adderall raising blood pressure & heart rate.