ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-04, 08:50 AM

bigbowlindude is on a distinguished road
Any good cheap hobbies?

I use to like to play video games on my pc alot, but recently they just seem so bland to me. I've been trying to find some good cheap hobbies to get myself into. Keep myself busy, maybe learn alittle bit. It just seems so hard to get myself modivated though. Currently my main hobby at the moment seems to be lie in bed, and watch tv.
Here is what I've tried so far.

Learning to program(I'm a big computer guy) - I'll get into it for a day or so, then no interest what so ever. (btw this is a good hobby to pick up countless free tools and tutorials out there)

Gaming (as I've mentioned) - Pretty cheap hobby con side it rots your brain pretty good and it's prety much only yourself.

Fixing cars - While not cheap, cheaper then taking it to a mechanic most of the stuff is pretty easy bolt on/off. One could make a bit of side cash I guess if they were to fix cars for other people, I'll do it on ocation just to be nice no charge. However, I get into the habbit of getting parts for my car and they sit there.... and sit... and sit (add procrastination trait I'm guessing)

Reading - Cheap and free if you go through the library or raid your friends books. I can't ever seem to get into reading no matter how hard I try (I know how good it is for you) I just simply fall asleep.. or only retain about one sentance, no joke.

Exercise - This is something I actuctually like to do. I've put on weight over the years and my feet are so bad last time I tried to run seriously my whole was in horrid pain.

Online chatting - Yea I can do this all day. It takes up all day though and is somewhat anti-social(I find that ironic)

Gardening -Although this is something I haven't tried yet. I can see blowing 40 bucks in seeds, tools and plants only to have me get sidetracked and them all dieing.

Organizing my desk - Yea this is something I can do all day, and yet it ends up messy the next day.
Old 11-14-04, 10:52 AM

Casiotech is on a distinguished road
www.traxxas.com
Old 11-14-04, 10:53 AM

its hobby class remote controlled cars
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 10:53 AM

My Life ADDs Up will become famous soon enough
Well I have a ton of hobbies. This is largely due to just recently being diagnosed with ADD. Now I am just having to wait and see what I will purse when impulse and hyperactivity have less of an impact and when I can actually remain focused on the same thing for a reasonable period of time.

The hobbies I expect to keep are Building Models, Writing, Computers. Working on cars isn't really a hobby because I can't afford to do any kind of customization or restoration. I have plenty of opportunity to repair things out of necessity though. SInce it's getting colder this isn't much fun at all.

Hobbies/Interests I am interested in persuing are Playing the guitar and some kind of exercise. (Biking appeals to me most.) Of course there is only so much time in a day with or without focus.

James
Old 11-14-04, 10:54 AM

or you could always try something like, I dunno ceramics?!
Old 11-18-04, 11:45 PM

reusablepheonix is on a distinguished road
cheap hobbies....

not spending money.

watching TV

making faces in the mirror.

inventing new cartoon voices.

drawing homemade comics.

drawing flip book cartoons.

playing skin drums.

paper airplanes

inventing UFO alien abduction hoaxes on the internet UFO forums.. ( this one is really fun, people are so gullible)

painting murals on the walls of your house ( super fun)

cooking.

reading wierd books from cults.

paintball

make funny homemade signs and post them on drive-thru menus
example of one on KFC " try our new rooster ***** nuggets!"
Mcdonalds: " try our new Mcshhit burger!"

chess clubs, ping pong clubs, astronomy clubs in town.

join a local theater group.

bikeing

skateboarding

potato gunning

build a huge house of cards

make dry ice bombs with soda bottles, dry ice and water.

.22 target shooting

dress like superman and walk around town

join a pagan drum circle, its fun to drum for hours under the full moon.

archery

learn a music instrument

ant farm ( dont knock it till you try it..its lots of fun)
space cadet, absentminded, slob,messy hair, unshaven, wrinkled clothes, quiet, memory deficent ,unemotional, book worm, disorganized, slow, clumsy, chronically tired, brain on overdrive, slurred speech,internet addict, phone phobic, social phobic,ex-fundy, exchristian, atheist, scientist,poor vocabulary,introverted,day dreamer,musician, bad credit,yet still peaceful & happy with a positive attitude
Old 11-20-04, 07:11 PM
Contributor

broK is on a distinguished road
what i used to do was read the morning paper while guzzeling coffee, increasing my anxity level & getting a jump start on screwing up my day.

NOW...newest hobby is watching birds feed outside the window in the a.m.
birdseed is pretty cheap bought in big old sacks at like K-ameapart, use a commercial made inexpensive feeder (bought from same place), started with book (bought used) identifyng the species & stuff.
ADDed bonus...its one of the few things thatll help slow my racing thoughts.

seriously, works for me
Old 11-20-04, 10:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
i know this doesn't make sense

I know this doesn't make sense to be in this thread...but I posted the following message TWICE and had to post SOMETHING??
12 Step Program of Recovery
12 Step Program of Recovery for Web Addicts:

1) I will have a cup of coffee in the morning and read my newspaper like I used to, before the Web.

2) I will eat breakfast with a knife and fork and not with one hand typing.

3) I will get dressed before noon.

4) I will make an attempt to clean the house, wash clothes, and plan dinner before even thinking of the Web.

5) I will sit down and write a letter to those unfortunate few friends and family that are Web-deprived.

6) I will call someone on the phone who I cannot contact via the Web.

7) I will read a book...one I can hold in my hands.

8) I will listen to those around me and their needs and stop telling them to turn the TV down so I can hear the music on the Web.

9) I will not be tempted during TV commercials to check for email.

10) I will try and get out of the house at least once a week, if it is necessary or not.

11) I will remember that my bank is not forgiving if I forget to balance my checkbook because I was too busy on the Web.

12) Last, but not least, I will remember that I must go to bed sometime ... and the Web will always be there tomorrow!

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Last edited by charlie; 11-20-04 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: oops posted twice with same posts, time for a break, I'd say?
Old 11-20-04, 10:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
Hey RP

[reusablepheonix] cheap hobbies....
  1. not spending money.
  2. painting murals on the walls of your house ( super fun)
  3. playing skin drums. [/quote]
Hey I want to do these

Do you have any links or resources regarding painting of murals? I'm terribly UNartistic, but all kids are great, especially daughter. Figure if I can find out which type paint will stick on a water tank, then start a project, maybe kids will finish for me?

10 year old's birthday soon, any suggestions about which type drum would be fun and cheap (so I can keep #1 in mind!)

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 11-20-04, 11:23 PM
Contributor

broK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie

12 Step Program of Recovery
12 Step Program of Recovery for Web Addicts:

1) I will have a cup of coffee in the morning and read my newspaper like I used to, before the Web...

um, Charlie...youve been hanging around my house, havent you???
Old 11-20-04, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Imagine a river flowing through a wooded area, a grassy bank, birds singing, a rabbit runs through the bush, and your sitting on this grassy bank with your fishing pole in your hand, a dozen worms in the bait box.

You cast your hook into the river with the dreams of catching the biggest bass you have ever caught.

You close your eyes to wait in anticipation of that first nibble on the line .....

and you know it will never come as you purposely never put a worm on the hook as you didn't want some dam fish disturbing your relaxing afternoon

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 11-23-04, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! The racing looks fun.. but I think it's expensive.. I think I'll push myself to learn programming again.. computers are something I've always dug.Although, I'm not too addicted to the web really. It doesn't seem to have the appeal it use to. Sure I'll browse the boards for a bit, then check the news.. but that's about it. I think I'll try to find a used bike somewere, it's pretty easy on the joints it should be something that will be good to get started in.. I can always take my bike to work too from the train.
Also a good cheap hobby is everquest!! Or any of those MMOG many of the older ones now will give you the basic software for free! There only like 10 bucks a month too. Although they are very addicting, I played everquest for like 4 years or so and I still could have played it for a few more years. One can spend all his free time on it.. not good. Ok that's my thoughts..
Old 11-24-04, 12:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I vote for gardening (I'm biased toward native plant habitat gardening which is possible to do for free) anyways it's good to get outdoors & stuff. I love programming though I'm no genius, my latest thing is PHP web programming, you can set up an apache web server on your PC & make some cool stuff if you aren't ready for $100/year web hosting with a domain name, of course you might want some topic to cover on the web pages but not necessary just to play with the programming though it's a si-on-your-butt kind of hobby unfortunately but produces something cool in the end. Bicycling is indeed a good choice, you can explore nearby & commuting with the bike is a super cool idea I used to do & benefit from greatly.
Old 11-24-04, 12:52 PM
Forum Guru

addwifey is on a distinguished road
Here are a few that come to mind:

dumpster diving for buried treasures - It's amazing what gets thrown away!

volunteer valet service - you have to be careful with this one.

set up a free "advice" booth - people always need direction

go door to door collecting used kleenex for recycling - amaze people with your ingenuity.

Be your own parade - don't forget the costume and banner

"By perserverance the snail reached the ark." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Old 11-25-04, 04:13 AM

I just might do gardening.. I procrastinate pretty bad so I was always afraid I'd kill the plants. It would be quite a good idea though, I could get my step-daughter into it with me too maybe.
Yea, programing is certainly an on your butt hobby. That is ok,I would like to think maybe it might lead into something else...... I know I'm probably dreaming but hey I can dream right? I think I might check into PHP it is something I certainly put to use more maaybe even use it at work, I've seen many online resources for PHP as well. I have been learning C++. C++ is what I was learning in college before I stopped going.I am using the bloodshed C++ compiler, it's a freebie but it's still pretty nice. It's all DOS stuff I'm doing right now.. I am just re-learning the basics. It is something I can do bymyself too I can be a hermit sometimes, but I don't mind.