ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-16-16, 09:18 PM

masobrm1 is on a distinguished road
Question Recently back on Adderall IR +propranolol

Well ill start off by saying, I found topics relevant to stims/beta blockers but not one for this exactly, and I'm new to the forums so sorry if its in the wrong place

Earlier this week I approached a new psychiatrist about putting me back on Adderall 10mg x2 daily as I have tolerated it well in the past and I'm back in school and suffering miserably. After taking my BP/pulse (HR : 122 - BP NORM) at his office he was reluctant to put me on a stim without me first having medical clearance and an ekg performed by my GP, alright no big deal gp said ok, ekg was normal, chalked the HR increase unto 'white coat syndrome' Picked up my adder all script and started it about 3 days ago - everything has been tolerated well except for a higher than id like heart rate 115-140 at the highest, my psych did mention that Id possibly have to take a beta blocker to keep my HR in check. Well I woke this morning roughly 15 hours after my last adderall dose, mild chest tightness and a heart rate of 130!

Needless to say I wanted it to go away, so I actually snagged a 25mg Metoprolol from my mom reading that they are relatively safe. Brought my heart rate down to 90! With that great find I called my GP left a message explaining the situation, a few hours later walgreens gave me a call telling me I had a propranolol script ready for pickup. Thats cool great.. but todays adderall almost had NO effect - thoughts/memory were foggy and definitely no overly high pulse,anxious energetic feeling. I even upped my dose by 10mg to see if - still barely anything!

Now my propranolol prescription is 10mg 2x daily, I originally took a 25mg metoprolol. Should I expect the same 'adderall being nulled out' issue with propranolol tomorrow? I do understand that a beta blocker is going to decrease my heart rate by affecting my norepinephrine, but I should still be receiving the mental clarity from stims because of the dopamine, no? Ive literally felt almost no effect from the adderall today at all - needless to say I got nothing done for school. Sorry for the long post my minds all over the place lol. Thanks for any input guys!

TLDR: Do beta blockers null out the effects of stimulants? Namely Adderall?
Old 09-17-16, 04:22 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,457 Times in 14,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recently back on Adderall IR +propranolol

Quote:
except for a higher than id like heart rate 115-140 at the highest, my psych did mention that Id possibly have to take a beta blocker to keep my HR in check. Well I woke this morning roughly 15 hours after my last adderall dose, mild chest tightness and a heart rate of 130!
How is your heart rate being checked? Are you doing it yourself? Its very hard to get an accurate reading-even the best doctors have issues self evaluating when it comes to things like blood pressure and pulse.

Quote:
Needless to say I wanted it to go away, so I actually snagged a 25mg Metoprolol from my mom reading that they are relatively safe. Brought my heart rate down to 90! With that great find I called my GP left a message explaining the situation, a few hours later walgreens gave me a call telling me I had a propranolol script ready for pickup. Thats cool great..but todays adderall almost had NO effect - thoughts/memory were foggy and definitely no overly high pulse,anxious energetic feeling. I even upped my dose by 10mg to see if - still barely anything!
I understand why you chose to self medicate on these occasions, but you really shouldnt do that. You shouldnt play pharmacist because its already hard enough to evaluate if a med works, playing with the dose or other meds mucks up the waters.

Quote:
Now my propranolol prescription is 10mg 2x daily, I originally took a 25mg metoprolol. Should I expect the same 'adderall being nulled out' issue with propranolol tomorrow? I do understand that a beta blocker is going to decrease my heart rate by affecting my norepinephrine, but I should still be receiving the mental clarity from stims because of the dopamine, no?
As far as I know and my experience- they affect heart rate-yes but I dont believe they actually keep the adderall from actually working, but I do think in certain cases it may feel that way. Are you having zero symptom control? As in, is it like you are not even being treated for adhd?

I take metoprol and I dont know much about the one you are on but I take adderall and have no issues with both.

I carried a watermelon?

Last edited by namazu; 09-17-16 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: fixed stray quote tag
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
masobrm1 (09-17-16)
Old 09-17-16, 05:01 PM

masobrm1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for answering!
I've been taking it at home with a blood pressure/pulse cuff. Also been checking it manually. Todays been slightly different, I wokeup immediately took the propranolol the doctor prescribed (10mg x2 daily) ate some breakfast, took my first 10mg adderall got nothing after waiting 2 hours, I had to actually sort through some belongings because I'm moving and just couldn't do it.

I went ahead and took my second 10mg adderall and bam almost full effect. I sorted through some of my stuff, even knocked out a Job application with an hour assessment attached. Current bp/pulse 119/82 P101 -

So I'm thinking maybe 25mg of metoprolol was just too much to start off with (I was walking around yawning and felt sluggish as well) and yes I know self medicating was and is a stupid thing to do. But waking up and having a pulse of 140ish I felt like I was on the edge of my seat near death lol (slight exaggeration) with that said, ill keep an eye on everything, I know my doctor is prepared to have titrate my dose if needed. My body probably just needs more than a few days to adjust being back on stimulants.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-16, 05:40 PM

Pineapples247 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm on the same combination of meds and your vital signs are exactly the same as mine too! I was prescribed propranolol last week, 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening for anxiety and fast heart rate. (122 BPM in the doctors office, usually 90-110 in general)

When I first started the propranolol my blood pressure TANKED. I skipped the second 20mg dose in the evening because I was so out of it and fatigued. Now I break the 20mg tablets in half and take just 10mg twice a day. It's a huge improvement!

Now as for mental clarity with propranolol & adderall... I haven't noticed much of a difference. I usually take them around 2-3 hours apart, so that might help.

Good luck!