ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-14-16, 01:28 PM

IBelizabeth is on a distinguished road
Adderall Crash vs Vyvanse Crash

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with ADD type inactive. I have been taking 40 mg of vyvanse for 3 weeks. It is great at keeping me focused but I notice that 7-8 hours after I take it I start to crash. I become exhausted and can barely keep my eyes open during my last class of the day and doing my homework is extremely difficult because I am struggling to stay awake. I called my doctor's office to discuss this and hopefully get a changed prescription but could not get through to my actual doctor. However, the woman I did speak to (I am not sure if she was a doctor, nurse, or receptionist) said she would send in an aderall XR prescription to my pharmacy to see if I have better results with that medication. After looking up the differences between vyvanse and aderall xr I read multiple articles saying that aderall xr makes more people crash worse and that vyvanse is less likely to cause a crash as it wears off. From your personal experience, is that true? And if it is true should I expect to have a worse crash when I switch to adderall xr? Are there any ways to avoid the crash while still taking the medicine?

Thank you for your replies!
Old 12-16-16, 04:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,426 Times in 14,463 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Crash vs Vyvanse Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelizabeth View Post
Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with ADD type inactive. I have been taking 40 mg of vyvanse for 3 weeks. It is great at keeping me focused but I notice that 7-8 hours after I take it I start to crash. I become exhausted and can barely keep my eyes open during my last class of the day and doing my homework is extremely difficult because I am struggling to stay awake. I called my doctor's office to discuss this and hopefully get a changed prescription but could not get through to my actual doctor. However, the woman I did speak to (I am not sure if she was a doctor, nurse, or receptionist) said she would send in an aderall XR prescription to my pharmacy to see if I have better results with that medication. After looking up the differences between vyvanse and aderall xr I read multiple articles saying that aderall xr makes more people crash worse and that vyvanse is less likely to cause a crash as it wears off. From your personal experience, is that true? And if it is true should I expect to have a worse crash when I switch to adderall xr? Are there any ways to avoid the crash while still taking the medicine?

Thank you for your replies!
Adderall contains levoamphetamine which can cause excess PNS stimulation which can cause some people to experience a crash. When I took vyvanse I crashed around the same point that you did but I think its because it never lasted the purported 12 hours. I think that if it did last the 12 hours I would have had better luck with it. I take adderall xr which is supposed to last 6-8 hours. For me, I get about 4-5 which is why I take it three times a day. Some people do much better with IR meds because they can time the doses right so that they sort of overlap rather than an abrupt crash. If you take IR meds youll want to take them slightly before they wear off, and some people are able to take more than one dose of vyvanse in that fashion.

IMO its all about not waiting for a dose to wear off before taking another one.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
IBelizabeth (12-20-16)
Old 12-16-16, 08:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

This kind of crash seems to depend on the enzyme p450 CYP2D6.
Your body and liver is not yet used to split the lysin from the dexamphetaminedimesilat.
I experienced this kind of crash over 2 months and I got rid off it having no breakfast and
having first food 3-6 hours after Vyvanses intake ( with o lot of water) for a week or so.
Getting my enzymes used to it Vyvanse works about 13h for me for over a year.
Vyvanse starts and leaves subtle. There should no be any crash after being used to it.

CBD-votary
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-16, 10:49 AM
Committee Member

foreverwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutforeverwarrior has a spectacular aura about

I dont think we can really be certain it's an enzymatic issue - That panel is very complex with god knows how many variables. 2D6 is just a big problem area for many. Plenty of people crash on Vyvanse regardless - Everyone will respond different.

Sarah is 100% right on her point about dosing. I find that if my adderall wears off, I can forget I'm crashing, and start acting like a blind pigeon. It becomes a cycle ya dont want to get into to - Scheduling doses is important. Take it before the previous wears off, and you will have an easier time.