ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 07-09-10, 02:17 AM

ADDequate has a spectacular aura aboutADDequate has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation ADHD....or Sensory???

BEHAVIOUR
(at home and in public)

PROBLEM:
She is very hyperactive especially at night, she is difficult to settle and doesn't fall asleep easily.
WHAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING:
Melatonin, a safe, natural hormone that induces sleep, it doesn’t seem to be working for her
though.

PROBLEM:
She sleeps like a log when she does eventually nod off and sleeps that deep that she still wets the
bed.
WHAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING:
An anti-depressant Tofranil and waking her up and popping
her on the loo.

She never has a dry pull up.

PROBLEM:
She is
EXTREMELY/ EASILY distracted.

WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Especially if she has no interest in whatever she is doing
however she can focus on subjects of
interest intently for short periods (medicated) in a
quiet and distraction free environment.

If she is
disturbed or overstimulated she will just lose the plot and will not conform.

What I mean by
"lose the plot" is behaviour which is quite violent at times and can range from
verbal abuse, personal threats and throwing things at you, even a chair if it’s close enough,
whatever is close to her at hand.

She is also
not very remorseful straight after she has lashed out/exploded e.t.c and can stew in
her temper for quite a while
and will SOMETIMES apologise but in a tone that is not genuine.

PROBLEM:
She gets
very upset in large groups, she tends to not cope around large numbers of people.

WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
This is
extremely hard to avoid in a classroom and public setting such as supermarket e.t.c.

The local school she attends, has a
special class that is funded for
only half a day
, she gets around an hour and a half or so with an SSO after her special class
has finished for the day
and then she is mainstreamed for the remainder,
I personally feel that she
does not cope with being mainstreamed and this is usually around the
time when we are called to come collect her for some bad behaviour (usually
aggressive and
threatening
).

She also
regularly gets suspended from school for around 1-3 days (which negatively impacts
her learning even more)
for her behaviour which we feel is the school taking the easy way out
because
they cannot cope with her (which I presume is due to lack of staff, lack of support, lack
of special needs training or all 3
) and would not even take steps to find out what precedes the
behaviour/s,
the only time the school has agreed to monitor and do a behaviour chart e.t.c for
my daughter is when my advocate D.E.C.S Disability

got involved

PROBLEM:
She has difficulty organising herself.
WHAT WE DO AND WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
She seems not to be able to do the basics of self care that she should be able to do her age.

She seems to need to be told each step of what to do.

She does not cope with sudden or spontaneous change.

She needs a routine chart in her classroom so she can see whats next and transition smoothly
which sometimes works.

PROBLEM:
She has difficulty making smooth transitions.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Changes are not taken well, especially if she doesn't know about it beforehand to get used to the
idea.

She goes into wild tantrum/meltdown mode.

PROBLEM:
She has trouble estimating time.
WHAT WE HAVE NOTICED:
If she is doing something and I say 5 minutes to go she will ask again a few seconds later what
time it is.

PROBLEM:
She has
EXTREMELY SENSITIVE hearing.

WHAT WE HAVE NOTICED:
My daughter often complains to me that she can hear the fluorescent lights at school humming (and
sometimes complains that they are too bright and hurt her eyes) she also hears the school computers running from the power point.

She always complains about
my laptop power supply making noise which is spot on because I can hear it too and I also have
issues with humming fluorescent lighting it is very annoying and I am not surprised she snaps as
I find it very irritating also.

My daughter has had her eyes and ears tested when she was younger and all tests were
normal.

White noise doesn't calm her.

I think should not be in a mainstream class at all due to sound being an issue for her,
it must be torture for her to sit and concentrate when even the slightest of sounds can set her off.

I asked about supplying her with an ipod or mp3 player to have at school but it isn’t
allowed.

PROBLEM:
Her short-term memory is shot.
Her long-term memory is fine.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
If you ask her what happened yesterday she will tell you something that happened a week or a
month ago....

PROBLEM:
She is sensitive to seams, tags and texture of clothing.
WHAT WE DO/WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
We try to buy seamless clothing where we can, especially underwear as she HATES seams.

She also sometimes pulls at herself if she has been in the school pool or at the beach and not
dried herself properly.

She hates scratchy/itchy fabrics, tags need to be cut off clothing before she will wear them.

She doesn’t mind wearing leggings, tights e.t.c which can be tight on the legs, clothes must be
looser from the waist up or she can’t stand it.

She cannot wear shoes for the majority of the day, as soon as she comes home from school off
come her shoes.

PROBLEM:
She is easily excitable and displays high frenetic energy and motor activation.
WHAT WE HAVE NOTICED:
She does climb/bounce of the walls.
She is very evasive and is so fast you cannot catch her.

PROBLEM:
She has irritable moods and rapid mood swings

Daily.

I think this is caused by sensory issues to her environment HOWEVER I have noticed that she
just changes moods in an instant and I find this very unsettling.

I don't let her play with other children much because she has been as nice as pie to a friend and
all of a sudden snapped and hit, bit, kicked her friend.

My daughter when she get mad (medicated and unmedicated) and before she explodes has HUGE pupiled (almost black) and glassy like a mirror eyes.

PROBLEM:
Interrupts adults and intrudes on others.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
She does this all the time.

You can be having a conversation with someone and she will just demand or aggressively
include herself in the conversation.

PROBLEM:
Controlling.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
She gets upset if she isn't in control ALL THE TIME.

Games are on her terms only (with family/peers) but she plays fairly with her teachers sometimes
(maybe because they have more patience?).

She doesn't have that many friends because of her controlling issues, they tire of her attitude
pretty quick.

Her best friend is a 6 year old (that is more mature than her and they only get along
because she can boss her around).

PROBLEM:
Displays silly, goofy, giggly, giddy mood states
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
This usually happens after coming home from school, when she gets overstimulated while out in
public OR when she has just come out of time out.

She will also spin herself to make herself dizzy during this as well.

I have no idea why she does this and no idea what sets her off if anything....

MAJOR PROBLEM:
Displaying sexual inappropriate curiosity/behaviours.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED/ HAVE CONCERNS about:
I find this worrying.

She has never been sexually abused to my knowledge or witnessed anyone in the act of
intercourse e.t.c so I don't know where this behaviour is coming from.

She makes remarks about the size of peoples bottoms, breasts in public and I avoid taking her out
in public for shopping e.t.c for this reason.

She asks my grandmother regularly if her and poppy have sex.....poppy has been deceased for years
now....

I know she plays with boys mainly at school because girls her on age don’t like her attitude.

I have my
suspicions something is going on at school because she says she has 2 boyfriends at school that
she tries to kiss. Surely children can’t be serious at such young ages?????

PROBLEM:
Weird Body Temperatures
It can be extremely cold and windy outside and my daughter will want to wear shorts and a t-shirt
because she is hot......same the other way around it can be 40 degrees and she will want to wear
her winter fleecies because she is cold....

I find this worrying, because she could get very sick.

Also she doesn't get her teacher to remove her jumper if the weather is extremely hot like high
30 celcius....she will leave it on.

She also gets very sore legs, in/on her bones she says, not the muscle and only when the weather
changes, this runs in the family on both sides.

PROBLEM:
Complains of being bored.
WHAT WE DO/WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
We try to keep her environment plain and neutral at home to minimise over stimulation.

Sometimes we will let her play brain challenge e.t.c on the xbox but thats rarely as she tends to
get over stimulated/too excited or extremely frustrated which then leads to her displaying
aggravated behaviour.

PROBLEM:
Intolerant of delays
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
She’s extremely impulsive, except when medicated.

She is medicated with 2 x 5mg DEXAMPHETAMINE daily oone tab 7am in the morning and another around 12 noon.

Although her medication does not stop her impulsivity altogether, it makes her more tolerable

PROBLEM:
She refuses to be subordinated, told what to do or asked what to do by others.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Especially towards adults.

She is very defiant and oppositional.

PROBLEM:
Argues with adults
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Definately, you could say the sky is blue but she'd say no its not its black and then go on to
defend her opinon/view but then believe it too.

I find this very worrying.

I don’t know if she does this because she feels a need to win or if she has a mental problem and
is delusional or not.

PROBLEM:
Blames others for her mistakes, is never responsible for her own actions

She does this ALL the time.

She could pinch or goad her brother and then says no I didn't even if we caught her in the act,
even if we were looking straight at her commiting the act she would still say she didn't.....and get
extremely upset that you don't believe her and head for a tantrum/meltdown.
PROBLEM:
Destroys/steals others property intentionally.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Especially her brothers toys but she has also wrecked/stole a few things at school like toys from
school in her schoolbag that she has not asked permission from the school to borrow.

I have lost count of the amount of times I've seen something thats not hers in her bag and
returned it to school she doesn't seem to think it's wrong even though we have taught her stealing
is bad.

She has had this problem since she was a toddler too.

Often at the checkout at the supermarket she used to grab a lollipop e.t.c and when I realised I'd
go back and pay for it.

PROBLEM:
Curses and uses foul language.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED/WHAT WE DO:
I am ashamed of her vocabulary.
She has picked up about 3 swears here.....****, the F word and bloody hell.....

The rest I would say come from either listening to adult conversation elsewhere (because even
though she can look like she is not listening in she is infact picking snippets of what people are
saying) and probably a few from other kids at school.

She called me a **** the other day (I hate that word, it’s disgusting).

I asked where she got that word from, she then smiles at me and says I learnt it at school mum. J
(one of the boys she plays with at school) taught it to me.

Then she proceeded to say it for the next 15-20 minutes, I ignored it because I know if I react
she'll do it even more, she sometimes uses swears indiscriminately for shock value such as in
public.

PROBLEM:
Hoarding/collecting behaviour.
She has a collection of things, usually bright glittery small things
(we all call her a magpie because she likes bright shiny little things like magpies do)

PROBLEM:
Speaks loudly, high pitched and has no volume control.
She was calling the chooks after a minor blow, she said chook
chook very high pitched.... it as like fingernails running down a blackboard but 10x worse!!!
Old 07-09-10, 04:28 AM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough
Re: ADHD....or Sensory???

Some of these symptoms are the same as my daugher, diagnosed with adhd, but I KNOW she has sensory issues.

Tags, shoes, socks, and sometimes every piece of clothing would bother her in the morning especially, making getting ready for school a nightmare.

Sounds used to bother her, liking flushing the loud toilet in a public bathroom

Got wound up a night and could not settle down to fall asleep.

Impulsive. Might hit someone and then say it was an accident and then be very remorseful.

Moody

Hated changes. When we painted her room from an ulgy green to her favorite color pink, she had a meltdown. When we got a new sofa, another meltdown. We told her we sent it out to get repaired and I swear she asked about it for the next year.

Crowds cause her to have anxiety. We think it's social anxiety.

Whats worked: We started giving her fish oil and a few months later the clothes sensitivities got much better. Not sure if it was the fish oil or coincidence, but worth a try since fish oil is very healthy (it does thin the blood so some people with certain conditions should not take it).

Night time routine of me reading a book to her in the living room for 45 minutes before bed, and her relaxing on the couch and listening. She falls asleep much easier when we do this.

We give a supplement called Vaxa Attend. Her anxiety has gotten much better since this, but these supplements are not tested so you may not feel comfortable giving this.
Old 07-09-10, 06:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

ladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the rough

Hi ADDequate

your daughter sounds like mine

I have copied some of what you have said so you can see what i mean and added some of my own comments

PROBLEM:
She is very hyperactive especially at night, she is difficult to settle and doesn't fall asleep easily.
our daughter isnt medicated so we have to let her play quietly till 9pm in another room otherwise she annoys her brother.

She is
EXTREMELY/ EASILY distracted.

WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Especially if she has no interest in whatever she is doing
however she can focus on subjects of interest intently for short periods

She is also
not very remorseful straight after she has lashed out/exploded e.t.c and can stew in
her temper for quite a while
and will SOMETIMES apologise but in a tone that is not genuine.
PROBLEM:
She has difficulty organising herself.
WHAT WE DO AND WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
She seems not to be able to do the basics of self care that she should be able to do her age.

She seems to need to be told each step of what to do. yes our daughter has to be told/nagged to brush her hair and teeth and clean her face

PROBLEM:
Her short-term memory is shot.
Her long-term memory is fine.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
If you ask her what happened yesterday she will tell you something that happened a week or a
month ago.... our daughter either can't remember or will make things up- she lies alot

PROBLEM
I don't let her play with other children much because she has been as nice as pie to a friend and all of a sudden snapped and hit, bit, kicked her friend.

PROBLEM:
Controlling.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
She gets upset if she isn't in control ALL THE TIME.

Games are on her terms only (with family/peers)
She doesn't have that many friends because of her controlling issues, they tire of her attitude
pretty quick.

Her best friend is a 6 year old (that is more mature than her and they only get along
because she can boss her around). our daughter likes to play with children younger than herself she is 7 1/2 but will play with 5 & 6 years olds better

MAJOR PROBLEM:
Displaying sexual inappropriate curiosity/behaviours.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED/ HAVE CONCERNS about:
I find this worrying. she rubs herself alot since age 2, says thigs like sexing you up, and doesnt care if she undressed in the street etc, and will do sexy pole dancing around a lampost

PROBLEM:
Complains of being bored. all the time

PROBLEM:
She refuses to be subordinated, told what to do or asked what to do by others.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Especially towards adults.

She is very defiant and oppositional.

PROBLEM:
Blames others for her mistakes, is never responsible for her own actions

She does this ALL the time.

She could pinch or goad her brother and then says no I didn't even if we caught her in the act,
even if we were looking straight at her commiting the act she would still say she didn't.....and get
extremely upset that you don't believe her and head for a tantrum/meltdown yes definately or she will say to us it was his fault for annoying her but wont tell on him but take matters into her own hands

PROBLEM:
Destroys/steals others property intentionally.
WHAT WE’VE NOTICED:
Especially her brothers toys or she will rip his pictures up scribble over them or her own work

I have lost count of the amount of times I've seen something thats not hers in her bag and
returned it to school she doesn't seem to think it's wrong even though we have taught her stealing
is bad.

PROBLEM:
Speaks loudly, high pitched and has no volume control. our daughter will tell the world in our garden what we are planning to do and has to tell her teacher or whoever if she is doing something or has something new

she doesnt have any problems with sensory or anxiety if anything she is very outgoing and confident but will put herself down alot and change of last minute doesnt really bother her but she talks and talks and talks usually eloborating on something which turns out to be completely untrue
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybumble For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 09:16 AM
Contributor

insight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to beholdinsight needed is a splendid one to behold

I think that the answer to your question is: ADHD AND sensory. From my experience as a school-based occupational therapist, and from reading on this forum, it seems like there is a high percentage of people who have ADHD and also have some sensory issues. Also, there is a high percentage of people on the Autism spectrum (which at this time includes Asperger's) who have some sensory issues. Has your daughter been evaluated by an occupational therapist? If so, I would expect that the therapist would have asked you to fill out a standardized questionnaire about your daughter's responses to specific types of sensory input and sensory environments. In the U.S. these might include the "Sensory Profile" or "Sensory Processing Measure". These questionnaires should be filled out (different versions) by both yourself and your daughter's teacher.

An OT may be able to help you with some sensory strategies that will help you daughter to feel more comfortable in her skin, as well as be an advocate for your daughter as far as helping the school to make reasonable accommodations to your daughter's sensory issues.

Better understanding and treatment/accommodations for sensory issues seem like they would be just part of the picture as far as dealing with other learning and behavioral issues. Has your daughter had a full psychological evaluation at school or privately? Does she have a diagnosis other than or in addition to ADHD? From reading your post, it seems that there is a good possibility that there may be other issues or diagnoses compounding the issues of ADHD and sensory processing problems.

Lastly, keep the advocate involved as making sure that the school provides the services to which she is entitiled.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insight needed For This Useful Post:
ADDequate (07-16-10), ADHDTigger (07-10-10)
Old 07-09-10, 09:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,446 Times in 11,342 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello ADDequate. Your story sounds a lot like ours. My daughter and I, both divorced, live together and I'm helping to raise my granddaughters. The oldest has severe ADHD, the youngest has Autism. You don't say how old your daughter is, but last year when our little one was in first grade, it was a total nightmare.

The school decided she was doing well enough to mainstream her - unfortunately they put her with the teacher who has the least experience and patience with her issues. She was getting sent back to the resource room, getting in-school suspensions, even getting sent home for a couple of days. She was not learning a damn thing. Her anxiety (already high) was through the roof.

Finally the principal got a first-hand look at a meltdown that lasted over 2 hours (why she didn't call us sooner is a really good question) and she got busy finding a specialist in the school district and hiring a teacher that has experience with Autism. Second grade went so much better.

You may need some help in advocating for your child, but you are still your child's best advocate. It's the school's job to teach your child, and to figure out how to do that (with your input on what you've seen work with her) - not to send her home because they're failing her and she's getting frustrated and acting out.

Fish oil has been a life saver for me - didn't seem to help my oldest granddaughter. In fifth grade her mother finally agreed to give meds a trial for her and we were lucky enough that the first med she tried worked very well without any horrible side effects.

The youngest has severe anxiety, worse after that nightmare year at school, we finally agreed to have her take something for that and it has made a big difference. I too have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and am going to look into the Vaxa Attend that qanda mentions for myself.

Oh, and I have always had problems with sensory issues, just didn't know there was a name for the condition until a few years ago. I don't know if the fish oil has made the sensitivities any better, or if I'm just more tolerant in general because my mind is more settled. Florescent lighting hasn't ever bothered me a lot, but the hum of a computer cooling fan drives me bonkers, as does having more than one conversation in the same space, the booming of bass through audio speakers, the barking of dogs, lots of things.

Although your daughter can't use an ipod or mp3 player at school, ask about noise-cancelling headphones. I've seen other parents here say that their children benefitted from those in class, especially when they're trying to do independent work.

Getting organized is a big problem for kids (and adults too) with ADHD. Transitions can be difficult - they're very hard for my Autistic granddaughter - she does better when given advance warning of changes (we're going to switch from maths to spelling in five minutes, etc.). Kids with ADHD and other neurological disorders have a very difficult time with the concept of time. They interrupt and blurt things out all the time. (I still do this and it drives my daughter nuts!) My youngest granddaughter can only play games on her terms - which means she doesn't often have anyone to play with at school. Her team is working with her on this.

Some of what you've described sounds more like my youngest granddaughter than my oldest. I think ADHD is part of the spectrum of neurobiological disorders with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It might be helpful to have your daughter evaluated again to see if she might have something more than ADHD - or any of the cormorbid disorders that are often seen alongside ADHD. I wish you both the best.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ADDequate (07-16-10), ADHDTigger (07-10-10)
Old 07-09-10, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

Yes, some of those things sound like sensory problems to me too, definitely get the school to have their OT evaluate her. Would the school allow some noise-baffling earplugs? That might help with the light fixture noise; and I think there are some that allow voice pitches through but not other pitches, if that makes sense?

Yes, it sounds like ADHD also; but also as if she may not be on the correct dose, if she's still hyperactive and inattentive. If she is on short-acting ritalin, then some kids will find the ups and downs stressful, causing meltdowns; you could try the long-acting medications, as they are smoother for some kids. My youngest also is severely unable to pay attention even to things he likes, it really impacted his readiness for kindergarten last year. He's perfectly happy and cheerful about being read to, for instance, but it takes three or four reminders to get a book; then several reminders per page to pay attention to it, when he's not on his medication. Many of the symptoms you list are classic ADHD symptoms: hyperactivity, difficulty sleeping, easily distracted, difficulty with crowds, difficulty being organised, needing to be told things step-by-step, difficulty with transitions, short-term memory problems, time problems, no sense of personal space, being loud, being bored, and the collection of things (in my experience, without any organisation of those things).

Since you are already using melatonin, the only other thing I've found that really helps with sleeping is getting at least a couple hours active play outside.

ADHD kids need a lot more reminders with self-care than regular kids. I have to ask my twelve year old if he's done all his stuff (brush teeth, some PT exercises, face wash, etc. every morning).

I don't remember how old your girl is; but some kids are much later to night train than others. My eldest didn't get fully trained until he was five. My autistic nephew is ten and still not fully trained. Sleeping through it at night is something some kids have, whether or not they are ADHD, I feel for you, it sounds like you are working so hard.

The aggression worries me the most of all the symptoms you mention. My DD is somewhat aggressive off her meds, mostly when provoked; but she retaliates over the top, and was usually unremorseful since she felt justified. Her medication has helped immensely with these symptoms in my DD. This aggression, plus her constant pushing and picking at others to deliberately annoy them, and arguing with adults are all symptoms of a common co-morbid condition called Oppositional Defiance Disorder. I am also concerned about your girl's thefts and threats, depending on her age, that may indicate the next level up of disorder in this class, called Conduct disorder. These are quite serious problems and not necessarily resolved by medication, I think you need to find a good therapist you trust to evaluate her for these; and then provide therapy. I may be out of line here, if she is very young, then she simply may be behind in developing her moral sense and too impulsive (I want that, I should have that! Now!). ADHD kids are usually less mature than NT kids.

You are clearly noticing and loving your girl, and taking steps to help her; she is very lucky to have you, as little as she may think so now. Please, do take some time for yourself, she is a high needs child and needs a parent who is rested enough to care for her.

Best of luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnlyMe For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), Sam I Am (07-18-10)
Old 07-09-10, 12:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

I have to say from reading that, that this is ADHD, sensory, ODD, and probably more.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Werl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-10, 03:53 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Had an ADHD moment myself earlier. Totally forgot that I was going to mention checking out one of the really great threads here at ADD Forums for info on kids and ADHD - click here: Dizfriz's Corner.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10)
Old 07-09-10, 05:12 PM
Contributor

ditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud of

I didn't see the age of the child...?

Although ADHD can account for many of her behaviors, there are several other disorders that could be comorbid here, and it is difficult to pinpoint the origin of certain symptoms in an online forum.

For example,
-She is very controlling. This indicates possible rigid/inflexible thinking and can be a symptom of ADHD, OCD/anxiety, Asperger's, etc.

-She has no "volume control". Again this can be related to ADHD, PDD, or a tic disorder (such as tourettes), etc.

-Oversexuality can be related to sensory issues, Pediatric Bipolar Disorder, or she could just be curious and asking impulsive questions.

-Stealing can be due to many things as well, but ADHD kids tend to know it's wrong and feel sorry. If she just doesn't "Get It", it could indicate a social impairment and possibly linked to PDD or Asperger's, or perhaps it is an overdeveloped sense of entitlement (did you ever make her take the lolly back in to face the cashier or make her pay for it with chores, or did you just tell her it was wrong, but still pay for it and let her keep it...?). This I am speaking from experience...it wasn't until I had my daughter take back something she took from the store and deal with the manager herself that she stopped taking things from the store (she was only 8, so they went "easy" on her, but still let her know that they were not impressed and it put the fear of the law into her better than me just telling her it was wrong).

If the only diagnosis at this point is ADHD, I would have her re-assessed and also have her thyroid checked if it hasn't already (for issues with body temperature).

Personally, because of all of her "sensory" type issues and rigid/controlling behavior, I would specifically ask for an assessment for Autism Spectrum Disorders (Pervasive Development Disorder, Asperger's, Autism, etc) even if only to rule them out.

If other disorders have been ruled out, Oppositional Defiance Disorder might be considered. Generally kids outgrow this by age 8 (give or take), but for many it evolves into Conduct Disorder and can get them into trouble with the law as OnlyMe stated.

Make sure the person assessing her is knowledgable in differential diagnosis of mental disorders and takes their time (you should not have a new or confirmed diagnosis within one visit).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditzydreamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-10, 03:27 AM

ADDequate has a spectacular aura aboutADDequate has a spectacular aura about

She has just turned 9 not long ago.

She has been tested for Fragile X, thyroid, iron levels e.t.c all came back ok.

The school thinks we are the problem, they assume because my daughter resides with my grandmother that our family must be dysfunctional.

The school also does not cope with our children because they aren't set-up or trained properly to cope with them. My son has been abused twice at his local school mainly because he won't conform but isn't aggressive like my daughter.

My son has a huge scratch down his side (I took a photo of it) because he didn't get off a teachers chair and wouldn't do his work so he got taken to the principals office and we were phoned to come collect him, he likes school and didn't want to go home and hid under the principals desk, well the principal and another person instead of letting him sit under the desk and calm down decided to drag him out instead leaving a nasty graze/scratch around 30cm up his side...

The second time my son was colouring in a drawing and the class had changed over to science lesson and my son wanted to finish colouring his drawing for his teacher from the prior lesson well the teacher decided to get a card (I think the card are for behavioural management as a visual thing) and my son got upset and went over to the board where these behavioural cards were and started taking the other ones off well the teacher got cranky with him grabbed his arm tightly and slammed it down on the desk, it was 3 days later my son told me about it and his arm was still sore so took him to the doctors and got it looked at and recorded down.

Also reported both abuses, nothing has been done about it so far. The department of education just wants to shove it's head in the sand and forget it ever happened. I am at my wits end what to do.

I see my daughter everyday after school and usually have her stay on the weekends, depending on her behaviour.

I have another child, he is 10 and has a PROVISIONAL diagnosis of Autism and needs alot of support from us, we are emotionally and physically drained with our older child which is another reason my grandmother took our daughter off our hands for a while, so we could focus on our son while she does what she can for our daughter.

We have appointments made for the children to see paediatricians that specialise in Autism and A.D.H.D. I really don't want to LABEL my children but in order for the school and I to recieve support and such the children have to be labelled FORMALLY, no provisional diagnosis' are accepted. My children need additional S.S.O HOURS or need to stay in a special class full-time (special class here only runs for 3 hours or so at school) and in order for the school to run the special class full time they need additional funding and in order for them to recieve additional funding the children need formal diagnosis....really the whole system SUCKS...yet theres money for the government to help pandas and help other countries with no worries but when our own country and people need it help or support you need to jump through many hoops and even then nothing is guaranteed....VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

I myself need an up-to-date diagnosis as well because I myself was diagnosed A.D.H.D when I was 13-14. I'm 29 now and still have some A.D.D issues, can a paediatrician rediagnose me or do I have to approach a shrink at my age?. I'm in Australia by the way

Also my partner has an Aquired Brain Injury, he as hit by a car when he was 9 and sustained frontal lobe damage as well as had blood coming out of his ear. He was in a coma for 11 eeks and is very lucky to be alive today. He also has symptoms of A.D.H.D but no family history. Can you have A.D.H.D through a Brain Injury or is it mainly a genetic/biological thing?

Sorry if this all seems out of order or different topics I write things as they come to mind and edit later but today I can't be bothered...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDequate For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), ditzydreamer (07-10-10)
Old 07-10-10, 09:10 AM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough

I didn't think it would be legal to only have only 3 hours of schooling, but I've read this a few times on this site so maybe it is. I'm from U.S. and do not think it's legal here, but really not sure.
Old 07-10-10, 11:15 AM

ADDequate, I'm so sorry your child's school doesn't seem to understand how to help her. My granddaughter (Autism) has a terrible time with transitions, and the teachers have been working with her - giving her a few minutes advance notice that they'll be changing from one lesson to another. I don't blame your son for being frustrated when he just wanted to finish what he was doing.

Here in the States I don't believe a paediatrician can diagnose or treat adults, but I don't know if that's how it works in Australia. Here there are some GPs who can diagnose and prescribe for ADHD, we don't have to see a psychologist, but some people think it's a good idea to do that.

Yes, trauma to the brain can cause problems that are nearly identical to ADHD. I have read that the same medications can also be helpful in treating ADHD associated with brain trauma.

qanda: I don't think ADDequate was saying that her kids only get three hours of schooling - but that the resource room (special ed) is only available for three hours of the school day, and the rest of the day the kids have to be mainstreamed into the regular classroom. And that will only work if the regular teacher works with the special ed teacher and understand what kinds of accomodations the child needs in the classroom. I don't know how IEPs (individual education plans) work in Australia. She may need someone to help advocate for her child in the schools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10), Imnapl (07-10-10)
Old 07-10-10, 11:15 AM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qanda View Post
I didn't think it would be legal to only have only 3 hours of schooling, but I've read this a few times on this site so maybe it is. I'm from U.S. and do not think it's legal here, but really not sure.
The special class only runs three hours, not the whole school. Think pull-out of the regular classroom to go to the student services room and then back to the regular classroom.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-10-10)
Old 07-10-10, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

OnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to beholdOnlyMe is a splendid one to behold

I would encourage you to get your children formally diagnosed, it really sounds like what they need. That's a whole lot of stress and difficulty for your family, and it sounds like your family is very functional to me, when extended family helps it really spreads the burdens and makes everyone's life better!

I too have heard that brain injuries, particularly to the frontal lobes, can cause ADHD like symptoms. I don't know if it's still called ADHD? Or much else about it either. It would be worth discussing with your doctor when you speak to hir about yourself, as if your symptoms are making life more difficult than it needs to be, then medication might help you as well.

There is a forum somewhere amoung these here for Australians with ADHD, they would probably have more specific knowledge than I do about your schools and medical systems. There is no Utopia that I know of where bureaucracy makes life easier--don't we all wish! Not quite sure how to find that forum, but I've seen it in the new posts area...
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyMe For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-10-10)
Old 07-10-10, 05:38 PM

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDequate View Post
She has just turned 9 not long ago.

She has been tested for Fragile X, thyroid, iron levels e.t.c all came back ok.

The school thinks we are the problem, they assume because my daughter resides with my grandmother that our family must be dysfunctional.

If there is any way that you can reasonably attack that assumption, do so. The school doesn't know you or your circumstances. Bad assumptions on their part don't help the situation in the least.

The school also does not cope with our children because they aren't set-up or trained properly to cope with them. My son has been abused twice at his local school mainly because he won't conform but isn't aggressive like my daughter.

Your children shouldn't be abused by anyone EVER. If they refuse to address that, go over their heads.

My son has a huge scratch down his side (I took a photo of it) because he didn't get off a teachers chair and wouldn't do his work so he got taken to the principals office and we were phoned to come collect him, he likes school and didn't want to go home and hid under the principals desk, well the principal and another person instead of letting him sit under the desk and calm down decided to drag him out instead leaving a nasty graze/scratch around 30cm up his side...

The second time my son was colouring in a drawing and the class had changed over to science lesson and my son wanted to finish colouring his drawing for his teacher from the prior lesson well the teacher decided to get a card (I think the card are for behavioural management as a visual thing) and my son got upset and went over to the board where these behavioural cards were and started taking the other ones off well the teacher got cranky with him grabbed his arm tightly and slammed it down on the desk, it was 3 days later my son told me about it and his arm was still sore so took him to the doctors and got it looked at and recorded down.

Also reported both abuses, nothing has been done about it so far. The department of education just wants to shove it's head in the sand and forget it ever happened. I am at my wits end what to do.

You mentioned that you have access to an advocate. Involve the advocate. The school will find it harder to ignore that way.

I see my daughter everyday after school and usually have her stay on the weekends, depending on her behaviour.

I have another child, he is 10 and has a PROVISIONAL diagnosis of Autism and needs alot of support from us, we are emotionally and physically drained with our older child which is another reason my grandmother took our daughter off our hands for a while, so we could focus on our son while she does what she can for our daughter.

It is good that you have the ability to spread your stress load. As your grandmother is also a caregiver for your daughter, make sure that she is in the loop on anything you want to try from a behavior management perspective.

We have appointments made for the children to see paediatricians that specialise in Autism and A.D.H.D. I really don't want to LABEL my children but in order for the school and I to recieve support and such the children have to be labelled FORMALLY, no provisional diagnosis' are accepted. My children need additional S.S.O HOURS or need to stay in a special class full-time (special class here only runs for 3 hours or so at school) and in order for the school to run the special class full time they need additional funding and in order for them to recieve additional funding the children need formal diagnosis....really the whole system SUCKS...yet theres money for the government to help pandas and help other countries with no worries but when our own country and people need it help or support you need to jump through many hoops and even then nothing is guaranteed....VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole "labeling" thing. Getting the kids fully diagnosed and medicated as needed will help immeasurably, especially as time goes by. If this is ADHD or Autism or whatever, it will be easier on the kids to have the diagnosis made in childhood. Trust me.

I myself need an up-to-date diagnosis as well because I myself was diagnosed A.D.H.D when I was 13-14. I'm 29 now and still have some A.D.D issues, can a paediatrician rediagnose me or do I have to approach a shrink at my age?. I'm in Australia by the way

Start with your GP. As you were diagnosed years ago, he is likely the best place to start.

Also my partner has an Aquired Brain Injury, he as hit by a car when he was 9 and sustained frontal lobe damage as well as had blood coming out of his ear. He was in a coma for 11 eeks and is very lucky to be alive today. He also has symptoms of A.D.H.D but no family history. Can you have A.D.H.D through a Brain Injury or is it mainly a genetic/biological thing?

It is entirely possible to have the symptoms of ADHD due to TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). I don't know if it is treated in the same way. There have been some studies that indicate that low dose Ritalin (methylphenidate) is helpful but I don't know if that has been ratified. My partner has some damage due to chemotherapy and we already know that Ritalin will not counter that.

Sorry if this all seems out of order or different topics I write things as they come to mind and edit later but today I can't be bothered...
Kay- I'm going to toss in some responses in your original post. I'll put them in blue so you can see them.

And no worries about the jumble. You have a lot on your plate.

I'll get into your original post in a bit. For now, just know you are in a group of people here who care.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
ditzydreamer (07-10-10), Imnapl (07-10-10), OnlyMe (07-10-10)