ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 10-19-10, 02:01 PM
Jr Member

Rubicon will become famous soon enough
Out of Sight, Out of Mind: The Mental Disappearing Act

I find that usually, with extremely few exceptions, even with good friends that once I leave them for long enough, I stop missing or thinking about them at all. Of course, if I see them again, the affection comes back (this can apply for romantic partners and parents). For example, after my best friend left in eighth grade, I wasn't too happy about it, sure, but I find that I never really thought about her again much. Is this typical?
Old 10-19-10, 05:11 PM
Jr Member

wIzd0m will become famous soon enough
Re: Out of Sight, Out of Mind: The Mental Disappearing Act

Yup same thing for me, but i find that i don't even TRY to keep in touch with them. Some of my friends have said i disappear of the planet for 6 months then come back and act like i never even left.
Old 10-19-10, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Scooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud ofScooter77 has much to be proud of

Yup me too, my partners been away for just over a month now and I love him dearly but there's just too many other things I have to remember to do to have time to miss him!
Except when I see him, then it all comes flooding back.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-10, 09:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno. My husband has been dead for around six weeks... 45 days to be precise. I only miss him every waking second. Even most non-waking seconds.

Old friends from high school or a different job or even people I was once close to? Not so much.

I think that there is something about HOW you disconnected that may be a driver here.

A childhood friend of mine was murdered almost thirty years ago. I miss her terribly and always have. Others in my life who have died are still in my thoughts rather routinely.

Perhaps it is when we have had the ability to choose. I don't know.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 10-19-10, 11:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I still think of people I knew from a long time ago that I don't know anymore.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 10-19-10, 11:27 PM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice

I only hope my friends aren't too offended when we lose touch. A couple of times I've started hanging out with someone again and they ask tentatively if I've forgiven them. They think they did something. It makes me really sad.
Old 10-20-10, 02:37 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,252 Times in 8,589 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Basically this applies to me too. With the exception of my gf. I think about her all the time and if we are not in touch for a few days that only gets more and more.