ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-15-17, 08:32 PM
Suspended Account

Postulate is infamous around these partsPostulate is infamous around these parts
Re: Severe writer's block?

I suggest using colored paper of your favorite color. Also, if the walls of your room are white, it's time to pay a visit to Home Depot!
Old 03-22-17, 04:28 PM

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

I usually have a completely blank mind when faced with a writing task. Is this symptomatic of ADHD or am I just intellectually handicapped/mentally impaired/a simpleton?
Old 03-22-17, 04:56 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 16,626 Times in 7,942 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
I usually have a completely blank mind when faced with a writing task. Is this symptomatic of ADHD or am I just intellectually handicapped/mentally impaired/a simpleton?
It can happen for a number of reasons -- and not just ADHD or intellectual disability.

Anxiety, subject knowledge, language impairments, bodily discomfort -- these are among the (many) other possibilities.

Even with ADHD, writer's block can arise for a number of reasons (in addition to those mentioned above):
  • A general feeling of being overwhelmed;
  • Distractibility or restlessness, leading to difficulty forming a coherent argument;
  • Lack of preparation;
  • Organizational difficulties: knowing bits of what you want to say, but struggling to put it in order;
  • Etc.
So, even knowing that it's ADHD doesn't necessarily fix the problem without further troubleshooting.

If it's any consolation, even people widely acclaimed for their written works have struggled with this!:
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (03-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-17, 05:03 PM

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that's interesting to know.

Irrespective of what's unfolding, I always feel like my mind is somewhat quiescent. But it's quite difficult to explain without contradicting myself. I honestly believe I have been absent-minded the vast majority of my life. It's hard to discern if it's a sensory-related problem, some form of cognitive impairment or something else entirely.