ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-03, 12:13 PM

JH376 is on a distinguished road
Question Read any good books lately?

Over the past 6 months I have been reading books at a dizzying rate. In fact I've probably read more books in the past 6 months than I have in the previous 10 years (not counting ADD self-help books).

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are a few of those books I recommend to others:

Fiction:
-DaVinci Code
-Angels and Demons
-Deception Point, all by Dan Brown. They're all tough to put down, and easy to read. The first one I read was Deception Point, and liked it because it was about 150 pages long and has something like 100 chapters in it- very ADD friendly

-The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. This is one of the most amazing novels I've ever read.

-Prey, by Michael Crichton (of Jurassic Park fame)

Non-Fiction:
-Rich Dad's Prophecy, by Robert Kiyosaki. This is a book about money, written by someone who has a whole series of books on money. It was very eye-opening, and frankly, it scared the hell out of me (you'll have to read it to know what I'm talking about). I think this book should be read by everyone in this forum (and the rest of the world, as well). Not only does the book talk about money, but I find it to be a self-help book about planning, action and accountability, three things that I have trouble with, as an ADDer. There is a ton of self help books I've read on these topics before, but this book spoke to me in a more "get off your *****" kind of way. In fact, I'd love to have others read this book and get a big discussion going on it. I think we'd all benefit from it.

That's all. If anyone has books they think others should read, I'd love to know about them.

(I'd also like for someone to tell me how to format text in these messages!)
Old 11-05-03, 12:27 PM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
If you like Sci-Fi have a look at Greg Bear and Stephen Baxter, they're both great Sci-Fi authors. I'm reading a book Stephen Baxter has co-writen with Arthur C Clarke at the moment, it's called 'The light of different Days' or something like that. I have almost every book Stephen Baxter has ever written, and he's written quite a few

They both have a great way of pulling you in very quickly (Baxter more so than Bear) and both research their subjects very well so you get a good feeling that they really know what they're talking about as far as science is concerned in the books.

(I am a very fast reader and sometimes read a lot, used to read LOTS as a kid but I have a lousy memory for names and other details in books!)

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Old 11-05-03, 12:28 PM
Contributor

ferrette1976 is on a distinguished road
I just saw a program on The DaVinci Code the other night. I think I want to get that book. It looked really interesting.

The last book I read was Prozac Nation. I couldnít put it down. I havenít seen the movie yet. I found the book comforting because it is about a girl battling depression, which Iíve struggled with for a long time. The only bad part about it was that this girl went to Harvard and graduated while she was going through this. I found this to be discouraging in a ďIf she could do it, why canít I?Ē sort of way. But all in all, the book was quite validating.
Old 11-05-03, 12:36 PM
Contributor

Formatting Text

Is the bold, italic stuff what you are talking about?

Iíll show you, but I am going to put spaces between everything so you can see. Eliminate all spaces!

BOLD

[ B ] BOLD [ / B ]

Italic

[ I ] ITALIC [ / I ]

Internet Link

[ URL ] WEB PAGE ADDRESS [ / URL ]

Get it?
Old 11-05-03, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the typing lesson. It's kind of a pain not being able to change words like you can in word processors. Oh well; I supposed you get used to it pretty easily, eh?

PS Where in Wisconsin are you? I used to live in rural Minnesota, about 3 hours west of MPLS.
Old 11-05-03, 03:09 PM
Contributor

Oh, Minnesota huh? I'm about 45min north of Milwaukee along the lake.
Old 11-05-03, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by ferrette1976
Formatting Text

Is the bold, italic stuff what you are talking about?

Iíll show you, but I am going to put spaces between everything so you can see. Eliminate all spaces!

BOLD

[ B ] BOLD [ / B ]

Italic

[ I ] ITALIC [ / I ]

Internet Link

[ URL ] WEB PAGE ADDRESS [ / URL ]

Get it?
i discovered by baccident that you dont have to use capital letters to [ b ] format [ /b ] [ u ] the [ / u ] text

[ size=3 ] which makes typing them easier for me [ size ]

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 11-05-03, 09:30 PM

Sc@tterBr@in_UK, I like Stephen Baxter also. I read the "Origin:*) series and thought they were great. I also read several others. I tried reading "Time Ships" but couldn't get past the first couple of pages. He tries to write it like HG Wells, and it was just too wierd for me.

ferrette1976, the distance between where you live and I used to live is probably 300 miles. It's like different parts of the world. We were so rural where I lived that the cows got bored.

Garry, thanks for the formatting lesson. Hey, how do you put those lines in between sections of text? Is it just a series of underscores, or something more than that?
Old 11-06-03, 01:05 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Some of my favourite books (Sci-Fi/Fantasy):

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card(very inspirational to brilliant and creative kids who feel like outsiders, incidentally)
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson (some graphic stuff, don't read it Joan)
Assassin trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, & Assassin's Quest) by Robin Hobb (also don't read, Joan)
The Apprentice Adept trilogy by Piers Anthony
A Night In The Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (another one for Joan to avoid)
Old 11-06-03, 04:33 AM
Contributor

Cool, glad to see there's more Stephen Baxter devotees out there - some of his books do make it extremely obvious that he really wanted to become an astronaut though (and failed to get in!), especially the ones set in the 70's and present time!

I know what you mean about Time Ships it took me ages to get into that one! I also found Evolution a bit of a slow read, his pure Sci-Fi stuff is much easier to get into!

"Moondust" is one of my favourites, but the Origins series is great as well as the Xeeelee Sequence

By Greg Bear I'd recommend "The Forge of God" (similar kind of doomsday feel as "Moondust"), the follow-up (don't remember the name right now) is good as well but gets a tad too much "Lord of the Flies" at times

Old 11-06-03, 10:18 AM

In one of the Baxter books, I think it was TITAN, he talks about a new US president who comes from the south (maybe even Texas). Anyway, what I remember about this fellow is that he was conservative as hell, and also shut off the US from the rest of the world. It was written before you-know-who became president, and it's kind of scary how close Baxter got it.
Old 11-06-03, 10:31 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JH376
In one of the Baxter books, I think it was TITAN, he talks about a new US president who comes from the south (maybe even Texas). Anyway, what I remember about this fellow is that he was conservative as hell, and also shut off the US from the rest of the world. It was written before you-know-who became president, and it's kind of scary how close Baxter got it.
LOL yeah I remember that one now that you mention it, he does have a very good nose for these things doesn't he! Then again in the one he co-wrote with Arthur C Clarke (Light of other days) he predicts Geri Halliwell becomes UN Secretary General in 2040 or somthing

Anyway just remembered some more books - Try the Greg Mandel series (Starting with Mindstar Rising) by Peter F Hamilton, he usually writes more spacey hard Sci-Fi but this series is more detective sci-fi, about a guy who has implants to enhance psychic ability, it's not as tacky as it sounds!

Most of it is set in the UK of the future and he does have some interesting ideas about how things go in future with regards to global warming and politics.

Also "The Galactic Milieu Saga" by Julian May had me totally entrhalled, it's about 8 books 4 set in the faraway past and the rest in the far future, its kind of a circle really so you can read them either way round. The one sin the past can be a bit hard to get into and have some fantasy stuff in it which I found a bit tedious (fairy singsong stuff, just skimmed ove rthat to be honest) but overall I was fascinated!

Last edited by Sc@tterBr@in_UK; 11-06-03 at 10:39 AM..
Old 11-06-03, 10:37 AM

I read one of Kim stanley Robinson's books also (maybe Antarctica?). It's one of those sci-fi books that takes place just a few years in the future. I've decided I like this pretext a lot. I mean Star Trek is cool, but they never show how they got to where they were. With at least the one Robinson book I read, and most of the Baxter books, is that you can almost follow the progression to where the story line is taking place.

Again, the book Deception Point, by Dan Brown was a very easy read, and it's also science fiction. He had to do some real research before writing this novel (same for all his books).
Old 11-06-03, 10:39 AM

PS I think I just figured out the "Dark Side" of this forum. As if I need another distraction in my life.
Old 11-06-03, 10:41 AM
Contributor

Will have to have a look at those, although recognising stuff (places, events, people) in books I read makes me feel old

I like some of the Iain Banks stuff as well he has both "normal" fiction (written under Iain Banks) and sci-fi (as Iain M Banks).

PS: Looks like I edited my last post while you were typing maybe you need to re-read it as I've added quite a bit