ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-09, 12:14 PM

drumn4state is on a distinguished road
Makes me sleeeeeeepy......

I have been on Concerta 36mg for a while now and have noticed something strange. I wake up in the morning and take my meds. Sometimes after the meds kick in, I am so sleepy I can barely keep my eyes open. I would liken it to taking a large dose of benedryl and the drowsiness that comes from that. The first few times this happened I tried to combat it by taking a 10mg IR Ritalin. This helped some, but I was still extremely sleepy. I have noticed that it doesn't matter how much sleep I get the night before. For example, last night I got plenty of sleep but today I am still so sleepy I can barely function. I haven't taken any additional meds except my nexium in the morning and I take ambien at night, which I know is out of my system when I get out of bed (I can tell when it isn't). Has anyone else had this experience with Concerta? Could it be that my dose is too low? I know at my next appointment my pdoc is going to up me to the 54mg. This doesn't happen very often but when it does it sucks. Should I take an additional (2) 10mg IR Ritalin to help this?

ADD
Major Depressive Disorder
Panic Disorder
General Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder