ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 05-29-09, 12:53 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough
starting out with 54mg

Is 54mg a low dose? I'd like to titrate up, and didn't think to mention this to my doctor since it's so sensible. what's a good dose to start at, and can I cut these beatles in half?
Old 05-29-09, 02:53 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: starting out with 54mg

I'm not a doctor(I should really put this in my signature, its the preface to so many of my posts), but from what I've read, and my own experience, 54 mg is a relatively high dose. I believe that 60 mg/day is the maximum recommended dose of methylphenidate(the active ingredient in Concerta) for the treatment of ADHD.

So, 54 mg isn't far off. However, there are people who are prescribed more. There is a 72 mg concerta capsule manufactured, which I believe is intended to treat narcolepsy, but I think is also prescribed for ADHD.

Regarding your other question:
Quote:
  • Because of the tablet's non-deformable shell, the Concerta pill cannot be cut to decrease the dosage. This aspect causes trouble for people with Attention Deficit still working to find the best dosage levels or for those who wish to give their child a lower dose for half-days at school. Increasing or decreasing by any amount requires a new prescription.
  • Parents cannot crush the tablet and mix with food for children who have difficulty swallowing pills since crushing the Concerta medication will also destroy the release mechanism.
http://www.mental-health-matters.com...article&id=237
The Following User Says Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
anonone (05-29-09)
Old 05-29-09, 10:20 PM

Amaryste is on a distinguished road

People commonly start on 18 or 36 mg of Concerta, depending on the severity of their AD(H)D. Your doctor may have a solid reason for giving you this (IMO, moderately high) dose, so I wouldn't too worried until the side-effects become unbearable. If you're still concerned, I'd try asking for a week's trial of the 36 mg or the doc's reasoning on the prescription.

54 mg = 12-15 mg MPH 3 times a day

http://adhd.emedtv.com/concerta/concerta-dosing.html

*Disclaimer: I'm not a physician either. Just a regular Concerta/Ritalin user.

Inattentive/Overfocused ADD
- Concerta -
+ 36 mg per day + 10 mg Ritalin
+ 18-27 mg per day + 7.5 - 12.5 mg Ritalin

Previous trials::
A. Strattera - 80 mg per day
B. Ritalin - 5-15 mg x 3 per day
C. Dexedrime - 5-10 mg x 3 per day
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 11:53 AM

Legend is on a distinguished road

Unless you've already been taking some form of methylphenidate already, 54 mg is a crazy high dose to start on. You're going to get mostly side effects and very little medical treatment. Go back to your doctor and start on 18 or 27 mg. Print out a dosing PDF from concerta's website and show him/her why you should start lower.

Edit: I'd link you to the PDF, but they've changed their website. Here's a good starting point:

http://www.concerta360.com/mcneilped...ns-dosing.html

The way concerta works, within 1 hour of taking it, ~22% of the mg of the pill is Ritalin IR, and then that level gradually doubles to its peak around 6 hours after taking it, and then it gradually exits your body over another 6 hours. It's meant to be a seamless all day lasting dose. If you managed to split a pill, it would mostly be just a Ritalin IR (maybe SR depending on where you cut).
Old 06-01-09, 08:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

it really depends. 54mg is 11mg of ritalin released 3 times daily . It's not a whopping dose nor is large by any means. Yet by all means I would try and start lower and titrate slowly just in case you don't need that much. If less works then that would be optimal .
Old 06-01-09, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

scarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to behold

My doctor started me on 18mg and then titrated up. 54mg to start with seems kind of high. Also do NOT cut it in half.

Old 06-03-09, 06:55 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough

thanks for the updates guys I really appreciate this. A long time ago I was forced to take ritilin by my parents against me will because I wasn't learning to read and it made me extremely sad and I'm really not feeling good about going back but am desperate (a longer story omitted).

I called my doc office a while ago and asked how I could get things worked out and they transfered me to the nurses thing and put me on hold till I tired and hung up (ironic circumstance). I've been trying to sit st--

I forgot to mention I am used to taking the amphetamine salts at 20mg, so maybe they're similar enough to where I'm already tolerant somewhat.

Aimless story talk talk apparently>> I've been doing these summer college classes, and trying to sit still in class with out any meds other than fish oil, and that's actually somewhat awesome other than the fact that 'I have to constantly be shaking my leg or I'll explode or something' (not totally sure yet). I've been hearing everything the teacher says instead of daydreaming like on adderall.. I've actually been connecting socially to the people around me, and responding with lightning speed to the questions posed by the teacher... the only problem is that I can't submit any homework in this stat, and I'm not sure that I can study for a test.

In the mean time i'm going to cut out a very small sliver of the concerta (towards the out hole thing I guess??) and see if it's agreeable or not.

Maybe... I'm not sure... I don't wanna mess up my socialability, especially considering it's summer for god's sake.