ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-26-10, 10:25 AM

mhoveybyrd is on a distinguished road
Adderall vs. Vyvase question regarding High Blood Pressure and other things...

Now, it's no surprise that both Adderall and Vyvanse can increase your blood pressure considering that they are both stimulants. I used to take Adderall IR in high school but then had to stop because I got older and I was taken off of my parents insurance. This was back in 1999 when I was 17, I am now 28. Between 17 and 28 I have been to quite a few doctors who have treated me for my Bi-Polar but NEVER for my ADHD. All the meds I was placed on didn't seem to help me one bit. So Back in September of 2008 I decided to go and see a new doctor to try and get this ADHD under control. I just knew that there had to be more to treating these awful symptoms with something other than Seroquel, Geodon, and whatever else I was taking that never worked for me. I knew that Adderall helped me a lot in the past, but no one wanted to put me back on it. I can understand the many reasons why, but at the same time I was shelling out all this money and never felt like I was getting the right help in the end. After all, it's my body....don't you think I know how my own body works? don't they think I know what medication benefited me the most?
So I found this doctor who was very understanding and patient and she asked me if I had ever tried Vyvanse. Now at this point Vyvanse for adults was still fairly new. I told her that I was tired of being a guinea pig for new meds and that I really just wanted to be put back on Adderall. So she made me go get my blood pressure checked....it was normal, then she made me get an EKG....again, normal. Instead of Adderall she placed me on 50 mg. of Vyvanse and told me to try it out, and it worked WONDERS for me! So two months later she upped the dose to 70 mg. I ended up moving to a different County here in Florida and within a few months I qualified to be seen at a local Behavioral Health Center. They had called me and told me that my Rx was ready to be picked up but first they wanted to check my BP. Well....my BP reading had shot up to 144/100!!! They refused to give me the Vyvanse and sent me home. I ended up calling my primary care doctor and was immediately put on Xanax and a beta blocker called Atenolol. I no longer had my Vyvanse....which made the next 8 months of my life absolute hell!
Just recently I went to the behavioral health center and told them that my BP was under control and I showed them my log book of where I logged in my BP readings up to 4 times a day. Seeing as they were all normal she agreed to put me on Adderall XR. She said that she didn't think I should go on Vyvanse because of the cost! So we agreed on the generic form of Adderall XR. So far, I have been doing fine and my BP has been staying normal, but I have to say....the crash at the end of the day is TERRIBLE!!! I've been on it for just shy of a month and I simply cannot stand these crashes. I called around to different pharmacies to get the price of 50 and 70 mg. Vyvanse and they are all about the same price as GENERIC Adderall XR 20 mg. So I ended up calling the doctor and asked if she could please put me back on Vyvanse because not only was the price the same....but I felt it worked better for me, plus the come down was a whole lot smoother than the generic Adderall XR. She said that unless I get a note from my primary care doctor giving the "okay" that she could not switch the med on me, but she would still write me scripts for Adderall XR. Interesting.....
I know this is a long post and it took awhile before getting to the point, but thats ADHD at it's best for you....so after writing an entire novel, I guess my question is....Does Vyvanse have more of a tendency to shoot your blood pressure through the roof than Adderall?? If so, then why? I mean they are both stimulants made by the same company and I'm only taking the generic form because I have no insurance, and why is the brand name Adderall almost $100 more than the generic form? Vyvanse has not even come out with a generic form but it costs the same as generic Adderall. I have done a lot of research about both drugs and can honestly say that Vyvanse works better for me, but I just don't understand why I need a doctor's note to get back on Vyvanse again....but they will still write me a script for Adderall, which is just as much of a stimulant than Vyvanse is.
Is there anyone out there that can answer this one for me?? Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to mhoveybyrd For This Useful Post:
Galileo (02-10-10)
Old 01-26-10, 10:34 AM

mhoveybyrd is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall vs. Vyvase question regarding High Blood Pressure and other things...

I should probably be honest and add that I am a smoker and have been for about 15 years. I have cut down a lot recently and I am working on trying to quit. Please don't tell me to try Wellbutrin, because that stuff is just awful! I tried to tough it out for a month and it just makes me absolutely ill!!! I still take my BP meds (Atenolol 50 mg.) every morning and I get 180 .5 mg Xanax a month. I only use about half of my script for Xanax a month...IF THAT. I generally only use my Xanax when I feel myself crashing from the Adderall or if I get anxiety when I'm in places such as Walmart. I doubt any of this has anything to do with my question, but at least we all know that smoking plays a big role in increasing your blood pressure. Then again, being on Adderall may help my symptoms out a whole lot, but it does raise those cravings for a cigarette like no other!!!
Old 02-10-10, 03:24 AM

Galileo will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Adderall vs. Vyvase question regarding High Blood Pressure and other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoveybyrd View Post
I called around to different pharmacies to get the price of 50 and 70 mg. Vyvanse and they are all about the same price as GENERIC Adderall XR 20 mg. So I ended up calling the doctor and asked if she could please put me back on Vyvanse because not only was the price the same....but I felt it worked better for me, plus the come down was a whole lot smoother than the generic Adderall XR. She said that unless I get a note from my primary care doctor giving the "okay" that she could not switch the med on me, but she would still write me scripts for Adderall XR. Interesting.....
I know this is a long post and it took awhile before getting to the point, but thats ADHD at it's best for you....so after writing an entire novel, I guess my question is....Does Vyvanse have more of a tendency to shoot your blood pressure through the roof than Adderall?? If so, then why? I mean they are both stimulants made by the same company and I'm only taking the generic form because I have no insurance, and why is the brand name Adderall almost $100 more than the generic form? Vyvanse has not even come out with a generic form but it costs the same as generic Adderall. I have done a lot of research about both drugs and can honestly say that Vyvanse works better for me, but I just don't understand why I need a doctor's note to get back on Vyvanse again....but they will still write me a script for Adderall, which is just as much of a stimulant than Vyvanse is.
Wow! Talk about jumping through hoops! I was only on adderall briefly before switching to vyvanse, but I remember the adderall making me fairly anxious (though I may not have been on adderall long enough to really know - it was only about 6-8 weeks). My guess would be that my blood pressure would be better on vyvanse than adderall, but it's only a guess.

Maybe they want the doctor's note just to cover their a**. Could it be simply a protocol to reduce their liability? I had to get an EKG while on adderall, and then another when I switched to vyvanse. Sounds like standard procedure and for good reason.

So did you get some vyvanse by now?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-13, 10:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

superstressed will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall vs. Vyvase question regarding High Blood Pressure and other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoveybyrd View Post
Does Vyvanse have more of a tendency to shoot your blood pressure through the roof than Adderall?? If so, then why? I mean they are both stimulants made by the same company and I'm only taking the generic form because I have no insurance, and why is the brand name Adderall almost $100 more than the generic form? Vyvanse has not even come out with a generic form but it costs the same as generic Adderall. I have done a lot of research about both drugs and can honestly say that Vyvanse works better for me, but I just don't understand why I need a doctor's note to get back on Vyvanse again....but they will still write me a script for Adderall, which is just as much of a stimulant than Vyvanse is.
A few years ago, I used to take 50 mgs of Vyvanse and moved up to 70 mgs. I was already seeing a cardiologist for my high blood pressure, and a small mitral valve prolapse (hereditary). I currently take Adderall IR (Amphetamine Salts) 30 mgs twice a day, and Klonopin (Clonazepam) 2 mgs three times a day. My cardiologist told me that it was fine to take those meds as long as I monitored my blood pressure. Maybe you should look into getting a low dose high blood pressure med, or benzodiazepine (I have anxiety and panic attacks) like me. I monitor my blood pressure at home, and it's been great. I also go to the cardiologist every six months for check ups, and refills on my meds. I hope this helps. Good luck and take care of your blood pressure. Remember, it's the silent killer.
Old 09-13-13, 02:21 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,966 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the question directly, no, in fact Adderall is definitely worse for blood pressure than Vyvanse is.

Some people may have equal BP effects from the two. In fact, some people may have no BP effect from either one. But if there's ever a difference, Adderall will always be the worse one in terms of blood pressure.
Old 09-13-13, 02:23 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,966 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Brand name costing more than generic: It's all about patent laws, and corporations wanting maximum profit. Nothing to do with anything else
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
cymbrix (09-14-13)
Old 09-13-13, 07:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

superstressed will become famous soon enough

[quote]To answer the question directly, no, in fact Adderall is definitely worse for blood pressure than Vyvanse is. [quote]

This is true. I should've led with that statement.

Last edited by superstressed; 09-13-13 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Quote
Old 09-17-13, 01:53 PM
Contributor

of_two_minds will become famous soon enough

I've had hypertension since childhood and have been taking lisonopril for about the past 12-15 years. I started Adderall two years ago and haven't had any b.p. problems.

I should add that I'm 46.