ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-18, 10:40 PM

Spicyglove is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Exhaustion

Hello all,

It took a lot of courage and grappling with myself to finally sign up and address my ADHD again, but circumstances dictate I start trying to do something about it.

I guess Iíll start with a little background on myself. Iím 23, and I was diagnosed with ADHD I believe when I was 13 or 14. I was on 2 medications as a kid, Straterra being one of them, and possibly Ritalin, but I honestly canít remember. As a kid, I hated the medications. I never ate and got to an unhealthy weight to where my parents finally agreed to take me off the medications when I was around 16. I have barely given my ADHD a passing thought until recently. The symptoms have still been there, constant fidgeting, canít focus, drifting off constantly. As Iíve gotten older Iíve been able to deal with it better than I was in a public school environment.

Now, we come to the passed year. Iíve started what will undoubtedly be my career. Itís not an easy job mentally, and itís required a large amount of formal training, and traveling. Iím learning things on a daily basis, and I love what Iím learning and what I do. However, doing so has been very, very difficult because I have absolutely no energy. No matter how long I sleep (usually 7-8 hours a night) No matter how long or hard Iíve worked, I come home exhausted. I immediately can jump into bed and nap for 2-3 hours and STILL sleep fine through the night. The problem is, I need to be using that time for training, excersize, helping my wife with housework, and other things. The energy just isnít there.

Now, Iíve been to a doctor to run a full blood test panel. My blood work came back perfect other than a minor Vitamin D deficiency, which Iíve since corrected and it changed nothing. I donít excersize as much as I would like to due in part to the fact Iím always wanting to rest and/or nap. I eat so so, lately I have tried eating better. Iím taking several vitamins for energy and Vitamin B12 with no changes as well. Now Iím at the point where Iím actually considering seeing the doctor to see if my ADHD could be causing this. I admit during all the training and on the job education, I always force myself to focus and it can be difficult, but Iíve been doing that for the past 5-6 years so I didnít think much of it. Now Iím at a job that I like, thatís more mentally involved than anything Iíve ever done, and the exhaustion and normal ADHD symptoms are really starting to affect me.

So, even though that was a lot to read. I guess my question is, can ADHD cause exhaustion? Should I look into getting back on ADHD medication again? Or do I need to look into something else as the cause to my exhaustion? Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicyglove For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-15-18), peripatetic (05-15-18)