ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 07-01-11, 07:34 AM
Jr Member

Space Sphere is on a distinguished road
How do you get comfortable in your own skin?

Wife and I recently found out we have ADHD. She's able to get medication. And due to my job, I am unable to go the medicated route.

Went cold turkey with dairy products due to an apparent casein allergy. I feel like I'm able to start tackling the fickle attention span, mood swings, giving up quickly, getting overwhelmed, and the inadequacy around others.

Which brings up my question. How do you get over feeling inadequate?

It doesn't matter if I'm at work around co-workers, playing poker with friends, or watching something like UFC. I feel I am completely out of place and outclassed in ever aspect possible to the point to where I actually stop playing, stop watching, or get completely overwhelmed on the job because I believe someone else can play, enjoy, or work better than what I'm capable of doing.
I even turn off my music at work when other people come by my part of the office so they don't have to hear it. I'm not even comfortable with my own music.

Does anyone have any suggestions of just how to comfortable with ones ADHD. Or how to cope with or fix feeling inadequacy?

It probably sounds stupid, but I don't know where else to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Space Sphere For This Useful Post:
speculative (07-03-11)
Old 07-01-11, 09:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you get comfortable in your own skin?

Your post does not sound stupid at all. It sounds like you are trying to learn how to cope with ADD issues, and maybe, since you are aware that they exist, you are feeling self conscious about them?

I understand the stop trying when others are better at it then me. It's better to try and learn something from them to help me do what I do better. I try to do that, and sometimes I succeed. Other times I need to walk away ,take a deep breath, regain my perspective and come back and learn.

My feeling inadequacy comes when I try to compare myself to others. I do it at times, even when I know I should not.
All we can ever do is be the best that we can be, and not try to measure ourselves against anyone else. There will always be someone better. BUT there will NEVER be someone just like you. It may sound corny but it is true.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Old 07-01-11, 12:17 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,105 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i usually ignore the fact when im in social land. but at home i try to keep busy or else i get fixated on it and fall into a depressive spiral...again

-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-11, 12:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,662 Times in 787 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Sphere View Post
Wife and I recently found out we have ADHD. She's able to get medication. And due to my job, I am unable to go the medicated route.

Went cold turkey with dairy products due to an apparent casein allergy. I feel like I'm able to start tackling the fickle attention span, mood swings, giving up quickly, getting overwhelmed, and the inadequacy around others.

Which brings up my question. How do you get over feeling inadequate?

It doesn't matter if I'm at work around co-workers, playing poker with friends, or watching something like UFC. I feel I am completely out of place and outclassed in ever aspect possible to the point to where I actually stop playing, stop watching, or get completely overwhelmed on the job because I believe someone else can play, enjoy, or work better than what I'm capable of doing.
I even turn off my music at work when other people come by my part of the office so they don't have to hear it. I'm not even comfortable with my own music.

Does anyone have any suggestions of just how to comfortable with ones ADHD. Or how to cope with or fix feeling inadequacy?

It probably sounds stupid, but I don't know where else to ask.

often, ADHD is compared to diabetes because of requirements for meds, lifelong disability etc. Ask yourself this; would you feel as inadequate if you had just been diagnosed with diabetes?

There should be a support group near where you live.

If you can't get meds, you need as much vigorous exercise as you can manage every day to keep that blood flow to the brain and stimulate endorphins. Black chocolate helps too, as long as you can take it. The taste is not for everyone but they will have some of the good stuff(w/o additives in your local health food store. They may be able to help as well with some natural supplements