ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-15, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

KentUnknown is just really niceKentUnknown is just really niceKentUnknown is just really niceKentUnknown is just really nice
The need to be comfortable

This just crossed my mind, I CONSTANTLY need to be comfortable.

Whether it be: the way I am seated (constantly adjusting myself as one leg gets sore etc)

-Going to sleep

-At work (everything should be organized, stocked up, and be where I know I can find it) (Line cook)

-the right TV show is on

-but the main one that has followed me my whole life, is when I am about to EAT!!!... I always find myself having made the food, placed it on my desk, and I am about to dig in, then I realize I need a drink with my food, or I need to go to the washroom (even though I JUST went) The bathroom one is every single time, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. lol I always need to make sure my bladder is completely emptied before I eat my food, it's so weird now that I am thinking about it more.

Not like these are bad things at all, I just wanted to see if any others experience these things, stopping them from doing something cause they NEED to be completely comfortable beforehand, and if it's a ADHD thing!

side note: my food gets cold quick.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to KentUnknown For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-07-15), Chicky75 (03-07-15), Corina86 (03-11-15), Delboy31 (03-07-15), Fuzzy12 (03-07-15), Greyhound1 (03-07-15), Hyperman87 (03-07-15), Jacksper (03-07-15), Pilgrim (03-08-15), stef (03-07-15), Tmoney (03-11-15), Unmanagable (03-07-15), Wrenchman (03-11-15)
Old 03-07-15, 12:28 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,241 Times in 6,817 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The need to be comfortable

I am with you on that. I am constantly attempting to get comfortable. It's difficult to ever be that relaxed. About the time I finally get comfortable, I realize everything I forgot to do.

It's very difficult to be totally comfortable for more then just a few minutes. Even when I sleep, I am all over the bed. I may wake up with my head at the foot of the bed. Opposite way of where I started and have no recollection.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (03-11-15), Delboy31 (03-07-15), Hyperman87 (03-07-15), Jacksper (03-07-15), KentUnknown (03-07-15), Little Missy (03-07-15), tinybike (03-09-15), Tmoney (03-11-15)
Old 03-07-15, 01:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

KentUnknown is just really niceKentUnknown is just really niceKentUnknown is just really niceKentUnknown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I am with you on that. I am constantly attempting to get comfortable. It's difficult to ever be that relaxed. About the time I finally get comfortable, I realize everything I forgot to do.

It's very difficult to be totally comfortable for more then just a few minutes. Even when I sleep, I am all over the bed. I may wake up with my head at the foot of the bed. Opposite way of where I started and have no recollection.
Yea, i have gotten used to it for the most part i guess, only since I have thought about Adhd have I really noticed how much I move around.
The sleeping part though I have always known, it's not hard to notice that I am freezing cold because I pushed one blanket off the bed, and my comforter is only covering some of me cause I have rolled around all night, waking me up cause a big ball of blanket is pushing my ribs in lol

That is if I don't wake up after 4 hours for any other reason..
The Following User Says Thank You to KentUnknown For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-07-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-15, 02:51 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,781 Times in 13,007 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

yes I have to be in the right position or place at the table. and in the train! left side, facing forward, next to window! And wearing the right clothes, according to the weather ( it's mild here but varies a lot), ok it's cool but not cold, so no parka, but warm light coat and turtleneck and extra cardigan... i have to calculate this carefully.
I sit in a kind of half yoga position often apparently i have some joint hyperflexibility thing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (03-11-15), Delboy31 (03-07-15), KentUnknown (03-07-15), Little Missy (03-07-15), Tmoney (03-11-15)
Old 03-07-15, 09:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,999 Times in 11,203 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Turtlenecks are a great comfort in my ability to be in public, weather permitting. Love, love, LOVE them. Cardigans too.

If I am waiting in a waiting room with people I either leave or ask to be allowed into the office so I can be alone and out of sight. I hate being near people.

I would never, ever be able to do public transit and I am irrationally afraid of it even though there is none at all where I live. I can barely watch a movie that may involve a cab or a bus. Shows that involve apartments in N.Y. freak me out.

I only shop early am.

I am, however, able to walk up and down Main and go into stores because I live in a small town but if I am approached by salespeople I will leave. Most know me well enough to leave me alone.

But I have a no holds barred way of flapping with the produce guys at the grocer's.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Delboy31 (03-07-15), KentUnknown (03-07-15), stef (03-07-15), Tmoney (03-11-15)
Old 03-07-15, 10:27 AM

Thanked 29,259 Times in 13,497 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate being uncomfortable. I can't wear uncomfortable clothes or shoes. I could when I was younger but now I keep obsessing about the slightest discomfort and the un pleasantness it causes seems to multiply exponentially. I think, it might be an age thing for me. I wasn't like this in my twenties.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (03-11-15), Hyperman87 (03-07-15), KentUnknown (03-07-15), Little Missy (03-07-15), Tmoney (03-11-15)
Old 03-07-15, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Delboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really nice

I am with you, but I never thought of it as an ADHD thing. As I am highly influenced by others, I have always believed that my need to be comfortable is my need to control, or that I don't know how to share, or that I am self-centered and don't care about others.

I have accepted this from people I have been and are around me as I know that I cannot relax unless certain things are in place in order, for example to go to sleep, the T.V. my drinks next to my bed, certain sheets because so many aggravate my skin causing terrible itching...I feel guilty for needing things my way...I just never thought of it as taking care of my needs...only that my inability to be comfortable no matter what the situation is so intense that I can get really angry and self-absorbed.

As for the bathroom...same here, go and need to go again, and again, even though I don't really need to. This is many times met with "what's wrong with you...can you not just stay still for five minutes?"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delboy31 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (03-11-15), Fuzzy12 (03-07-15), Hyperman87 (03-07-15), KentUnknown (03-07-15), Little Missy (03-07-15)
Old 03-07-15, 03:18 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

An ADHD brain needs constant stimulation(including feelings of comfort!) If you don't get it, you'll likely feel un-easy very quickly.
Corina86 (03-11-15), Delboy31 (03-08-15), Greyhound1 (03-07-15), KentUnknown (03-07-15), Little Missy (03-09-15), Pilgrim (03-08-15)
Old 03-07-15, 03:21 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I hate being uncomfortable. I can't wear uncomfortable clothes or shoes. I could when I was younger but now I keep obsessing about the slightest discomfort and the un pleasantness it causes seems to multiply exponentially. I think, it might be an age thing for me. I wasn't like this in my twenties.

You know Fuzzy,I totally agree. Could just be ADHD thing(you know)! I think many times, the men you catch outdoors(shirtless during spring & summer!) & the ladies who can never keep their shoes on.

At lot of them might be ADHD'ers,too? We hate uncomfortable stimuli!
Fuzzy12 (03-07-15)
Old 03-08-15, 01:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

I've been led to believe oversensitivity to environment, a preference for comfortable clothes, a desire for comforting rituals, is far more likely to be an autistic/Aspergian trait than an ADHD trait...

The more time goes on, now, it almost seems as if Asperger's traits and ADHD traits are blurring into each other.. it's confusing, at times.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (03-11-15), Delboy31 (03-09-15), Hyperman87 (03-08-15), Little Missy (03-08-15)
Old 03-08-15, 01:18 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
I've been led to believe oversensitivity to environment, a preference for comfortable clothes, a desire for comforting rituals, is far more likely to be an autistic/Aspergian trait than an ADHD trait...

The more time goes on, now, it almost seems as if Asperger's traits and ADHD traits are blurring into each other.. it's confusing, at times.

You are correct but as you mention, ADHD & Autism symptoms frequently over-lap with one another. So extreme sensitivity to certain forms of stimulation totally makes perfect sense!
stef (03-08-15)
Old 03-09-15, 01:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperman87 View Post
You are correct but as you mention, ADHD & Autism symptoms frequently over-lap with one another. So extreme sensitivity to certain forms of stimulation totally makes perfect sense!
In this case, I would think it's only rational to believe that ADD and higher functioning autism must be different expressions of the same exact thing... right? Both are developmental disorders, as well.
Old 03-09-15, 09:23 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Delboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post

Funny you should say this as in a couple of posts I have be alerted to Asperger's being similar to certain posts I was describing...interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delboy31 For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (03-10-15)
Old 03-11-15, 08:53 AM

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

It's the anxiety part of my disorders that comes out. If I'm in a restaurant I have to be away from the door with my back facing a wall or exit and I have to see who is coming in and out. I am not comfortable in what I consider a vulnerable position.
Same with hotel and bed. Furthest bed away from the door and my room cannot be near an elevator. I don't like being in a hotel right next to the highway or in a bad area because I automatically assume something bad is going to happen and so I become prepared for something which means I'm not relaxing.

I know, I'm working on it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
Chicky75 (03-12-15), KentUnknown (03-11-15), stef (03-11-15)
Old 03-11-15, 10:09 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,781 Times in 13,007 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't even mentioned clothes but everything must be soft and comfortable! Stretch jeans and leggings. and this is getting worse with age. When i think of some of the stuff I wore in high school, how did I ever sit through class in one of those shetland sweaters with a blouse under it???

also being short, I only like capri length pants now (I just wear them with boots in winter) ; and even slightly fitted women's tops are always a problem, I have narrow shoulders so the neckline and shoulders are all "boxy". We all got matching polo shirts for band last year, I'm dreading the spring and summer events already. Scratchy and boxy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (03-12-15), Chicky75 (03-12-15), KentUnknown (03-11-15)